2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have problems with you Active Driving Display, the thing that rolls up to give you a Heads Up Display on a plastic screen.

The problems are it opens and closes by itself or gets stuck half way or does not open at all.

Mazda has changed Control Logic and also modified the HUD unit.

On most Mazda 3 models (only) this also requires a new Speedometer to be renewed with new updated HUD.

Updated new HUD ONLY also includes the Mazda 2, CX-3 and Mazda 6 with ADD (HUD).

There are various VIN Number change points and Production Dates, so in this case I will stick with Mazda 3's worldwide see screenshot pic, up to production date and last 6 numbers of your VIN, make sure you align your VIN numbers with correct manufacturing plants, JM is Japan, MM is Thailand, and 3M is Mexico plants.
IF your VIN Numbers (last 6 digits) is Higher and your car is made AFTER the Production Dates then you already have to new updated HUD unit installed at factory.

The new expensive HUD Part Number for all
Mazda 3 worldwide is BHR1-55-44XC.
There are too many Speedometer Part Numbers to list, it all depends on what your original HUD unit installed as to whether you also need a new Speedometer.....your Mazda Dealer will check.

Obviously this is NOT a RECALL and repairs depend on whether you are experiencing this HUD malfunction, If you are then complain to your Dealer to be fixed.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
My VIN is not listed but had the exact issue. 1 out of 10 times the hud will not come up after a engine start. A dealer replaced the HUD unit when I mentioned it during a service, they said there is a TSB. I'm lucky to finally find a competent dealer in my area before the warranty ran out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I experience my hud not going up ALL THE TIME..

The dealership says the lead time is over a week to order the part.

My friend has his hud replaced last year and still has the same problem though.

Turn car on, hud attempts to go up, stops then goes back down not completely flat.

Turn car off and on and it comes back up just fine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Update*

The dealership refused to fix the active driving display. Even with videos and pictures, they claim they need to replicate it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
More than three years (since late '13) suffering this problem. My head-up was replaced few months ago but the issue is still present. Sometimes it opens up right, other times it just barely opens. The fix is easy, stop the car, wait, and start the car again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had mine replaced yesterday. On the paperwork it says the tech confirmed it wasn't coming up at times. I don't know how they confirmed it, my guess is that just said that as it is required to get it replaced. New part # BHR1-55-44XA (the old part doesn't have the A at the end).

Jim

·
Registered
121 Posts
Finally dealer didnt replace my ADD. They did a procedure to make some "calibration". By the moment everything is OK. They told me that if it starts to fail again will be replaced.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Any way to keep that thing from popping up?

My wife cannot see a thing on it, as she is too short, and it's right in her field of vision. Yeah, she could possibly raise the driver's seat some more, but then I'd have to keep repositioning it when I drive it. Right now, we can drive with the seat in the same position. Only have to move the rear view mirror.

Ralph

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same issue just started developing. The 3 year warranty expires early next week. Dealer says there is no bulletins on a fix. However, I can see how some less than ethical dealers will want to replace it because Mazda will pay them a lot to do so and it may be hard for Mazda R&D to replicate.

When the HUD fails to rise, your infotainment Active Display option won't work either. Turning the ignition on and off did work, but I don't like that the HUD is mechanical which means eventually it will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi ,

Where can i find full info about the mentioned problem for other models (6,CX-3 and 2) ?
Maybe there is a TSB ?

Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have a TSB number for this problem where the HUD lens does not open all the time? Mine fails to open about once ever dozen or so times, and today it failed while I was near the dealership, so I stopped by to show them. They agreed that it "seemed to be a problem", but couldn't find a TSB that covers it.

TIA,
Jon

·
Registered
1 Posts
HUD not popping up - Try new battery

I experienced this issue as well with my '14 Mazda 3 over the past few months. The issue resolved itself when I replaced my battery. Seems like the declining cranking power supplied was enough to short circuit the opening process. Glad I figured that out as my dealer wasn't willing to replace it for free. Pops up every time now the way it used to

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yes, this is a well known fix for a weak/dying battery and discussed on other threads. Sort of nice to know to replace your battery now when it happens! How many times have we got in a car without much/any notice that the battery is dead? Again, for the rest of you this is very important read for the future when your HUD gets weird.

I experienced this issue as well with my '14 Mazda 3 over the past few months. The issue resolved itself when I replaced my battery. Seems like the declining cranking power supplied was enough to short circuit the opening process. Glad I figured that out as my dealer wasn't willing to replace it for free. Pops up every time now the way it used to

1 - 19 of 19 Posts