2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Accessing the Infotainment Diagnostics Menu - and other Special Key Combinations

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this elsewhere, but I went to my dealership today and one of the technicians taught me a cool trick.

Diagnostics Menu
Hold: Music + Favorites + Pwr/Mute
Continue holding until the Diagnostics menu comes up.
CAUTION: Do this at a standstill, it is easier to hit all 3 buttons using 2 hands.

You can use the Commander Nob and rotate through all the different options, there are 38 of them numbered between 1 and 99.

Use at your own risk though, if you don't know what you are doing, I suggest all you do is just scroll through seeing what all the options are without selecting them. This is your warning. I will not and cannot help you if you screw your car up.

I have attached some additional pictures on the topic of the Diagnostics Menu below.

EDIT:
To bring up/access the CPU/MEM/VIP Overlay in the corner of your Infotainment screen:
Press & Hold: Music + Back + Pwr/Mute
Continue holding until the Diagnostics menu comes up.
CAUTION: Do this at a standstill, it is easier to hit all 3 buttons using 2 hands.

EDIT:
This is the menu that they go to in order to update the Infotainment system. I forget which option in the menu directly relates to the menu, but I was warned not to mess with that option. I assume that selecting it without an update USB plugged in could mess up your infotainment, maybe wipe it, I have no idea, that is why I'm not going to be messing with things much.

There are some nifty options though that will output information about your car to you though.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Found some useful information.. but nothing worth writing home about.
was hoping to be able to change some things but no such luck.
thanks for the info though :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
^ A series of tests for various components of the IFS. Displaying versions and serial numbers. Didn't find any option setting... Ah well, perhaps one day will menu 99 allow us to field update the firmware .

Test99 System Update.JPG

·
Registered
30 Posts
^ A series of tests for various components of the IFS. Displaying versions and serial numbers. Didn't find any option setting... Ah well, perhaps one day will menu 99 allow us to field update the firmware .

View attachment 56522
Hello Pop or WandererTJ,

Would you care to explain the button combination to access the menu?

Do you have to hold the buttons simultaneously or in a sequence?

I have tried a couple of times without success. Maybe I´m not using the right combination. I´m curious to see the info.

Thanks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
"press and HOLD : Music + Favorites + Mute button (all three at the same time until you see the screen come up.give it some time..)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
1260 threads....that is one reason the system is slow, esp if a slow processor. We suspect a low end one in our units.
If that were overloading the CPU, you'd see higher CPU usage. Virtually all CPU's are maxxed out during certain activities like booting no matter how fast they are. That's what causes most slowdowns, not CPU speed. When you boot a PC, how long does that take if it is totally off? I have very high powered PC's and they take much longer to boot than my car. When you push the "Home" or "Nav" or "Music" button, how long does it take to see that screen? In my car, that happens almost immediately which tells me that CPU speed is NOT the issue. I suggest you take a look at which activities are slowed down and what must occur in those activities. For example, for NAV to work, it must locate satellites. Your phone always has GPS working so when you run a nav program on your phone, it doesn't have to do that time consuming task. BT is always slow because of the nature of that protocol. Much of the delay is due to your phone, not the car system.

From my experience in building and programming computers, I don't believe the CPU is that underpowered for its function. Furthermore, I don't believe a faster CPU will speed up activities much because the problem is I/O, not CPU processing.

·
Registered
285 Posts
In my experience with computers .. I can say with certainty, that as "new releases" are deployed, and "updates" are applied.. OS/Program grows larger, and more processing power/memory/storage is required! it doesn't matter if its a laptop.. phone,, or "infotainment system" at some point the HARDWARE has to be upgraded or the "system" becomes to slow to use. (with PC's WINDOWS is a good example.. windows xp was good..and had its "minimum requirements" but as it was improved (and renamed windows 7) those requirements became more than the hardware could handle, so new pc's were required. Its an Endless loop.. and is cause for worry on our Mazdas!! (Im sure mazda isn't going to put a new infotainment system in my car.. the cost would be to high. They'll mark it as obsolete and force me to upgrade on my own....or buy a new car..
something to seriously consider when buying any type of vehicle such as this.

with the 3 year warranty.. I wonder if the "life cycle" of the computer in my NEW car is only 3 years.. :-O

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
In my experience with computers .. I can say with certainty, that as "new releases" are deployed, and "updates" are applied.. OS/Program grows larger, and more processing power/memory/storage is required! it doesn't matter if its a laptop.. phone,, or "infotainment system" at some point the HARDWARE has to be upgraded or the "system" becomes to slow to use. (with PC's WINDOWS is a good example.. windows xp was good..and had its "minimum requirements" but as it was improved (and renamed windows 7) those requirements became more than the hardware could handle, so new pc's were required. Its an Endless loop.. and is cause for worry on our Mazdas!! (Im sure mazda isn't going to put a new infotainment system in my car.. the cost would be to high. They'll mark it as obsolete and force me to upgrade on my own....or buy a new car..
something to seriously consider when buying any type of vehicle such as this.

with the 3 year warranty.. I wonder if the "life cycle" of the computer in my NEW car is only 3 years.. :-O

I don't think it's entirely accurate to compare a known resource hogging OS (windows) to a known less resources hogging Linux.

Don't get me wrong, the principal you share is valid, just maybe a poor example. The more you want a device to do, the more efficient the components need to be. You also need to take into account the differences between the hardware of a PC/Laptop and the ITS, and then the expected demand of that hardware. You wouldn't expect to find SLI graphics in the ITS, nor FSB rates of 1600Htz, or a need for SATA 3 transfer rates. So the hardware configuration is somewhat relative to the tasks expected.

I would expect (and hope) the ITS linux would have been compiled specifically, resulting in a somewhat more *lean* running system, aimed at achieving the given task as effectively as possible on a given hardware spec. As such, as efficient as linux is, the hardware should be able to cope with updates for a while, being that there are few possibilities for bloat, unlike on Window's PC's/laptops.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my 2cents: Working in the computer industry for many years, with a bit of experience in programming.. It is not necessary for the OS/Program to grow larger and require more power. This is how things conventionally are done since computers/hardware in mainstream systems can handle it. BUT back in the day of lets say MSDOS, the programs were written efficiently, not quickly. Many programs are written lazily due to time constraints and no need to get every ounce of efficient use of the hardware that is available. Now take this with what it is worth. I am not saying that better hardware wouldn't help, it definitely would. But the root is at the software app developer to write the programs to use what hardware is available efficiently. I think the software that Mazda is employing with the new 3's is not written with the best code, and could definitely use the hardware and resources better.

ok, ok let me get off my soapbox.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
my 2cents: Working in the computer industry for many years, with a bit of experience in programming.. It is not necessary for the OS/Program to grow larger and require more power. This is how things conventionally are done since computers/hardware in mainstream systems can handle it. BUT back in the day of lets say MSDOS, the programs were written efficiently, not quickly. Many programs are written lazily due to time constraints and no need to get every ounce of efficient use of the hardware that is available. Now take this with what it is worth. I am not saying that better hardware wouldn't help, it definitely would. But the root is at the software app developer to write the programs to use what hardware is available efficiently. I think the software that Mazda is employing with the new 3's is not written with the best code, and could definitely use the hardware and resources better.

ok, ok let me get off my soapbox.
I'm probably older than you since my first coding in college was machine language for mainframes and we entered all data with cards or paper tape. That code was much more efficient than MSDOS routines or Fortran, or COBOL. I would never want to go back to those days because the programming effort was humongous. With the declining cost of CPU power and memory, the thrust of programming has changed from efficiency to functionality. Subroutines and libraries are inherently inefficient but speed up programming dramatically and utilized the collected works of others.

You can always write better code, but there is a declining benefit to perfecting it. It is far cheaper and easier and faster to put in a faster processor and more memory. From what I can determine, the processing power and memory in the Mazda CPU is adequate for its purpose. It is slow because of I/O routines and the time it takes to check other systems. Have you ever noticed how slow a Garmin GPS unit boots? Or your Android phone? Turn your phone completely off and then turn it on and time it.

So think about what your Infotainment unit must do to boot up. It has to identify everything attached, negotiate communications protocols, check car systems, find the satellites for the Nav, and because the audio is never really off, it must tune in the station. As with most OS's, there is background activity while multiprocessing is occurring.

Compared to similar devices, like your phone or standalone GPS, the infotainment system does a superior job of booting up and the code seems fairly efficient. Do you really disagree?

·
Registered
285 Posts
The example i used is something i think most can relate to.. but it applies to all hardware/software. I could have used a blackberry with its different os versions and hardware.. but the majority probably dont use blackberry. Samsung... apple.. its all the same when put into perspective.
Yes..windows is a hogg..but only because its constantly upgraded. Which is the same for the infotainment system in its current state..
When developers start using opencar, and apps hit the matket..you have to wonder how the hardware is going to hold up.
Tbh: I currently have no Idea what the processor is , how much memory or the type/size of the storage system is that was put in the 2014 Mazda 3. If anyone knows..im sure it will co.e to be a very usefull post.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A good example of this might be the new Gracenote database. People thought their update went bad because the file size was smaller. They probably just optimized it.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The example i used is something i think most can relate to.. but it applies to all hardware/software. I could have used a blackberry with its different os versions and hardware.. but the majority probably dont use blackberry. Samsung... apple.. its all the same when put into perspective.
Yes..windows is a hogg..but only because its constantly upgraded. Which is the same for the infotainment system in its current state..
When developers start using opencar, and apps hit the matket..you have to wonder how the hardware is going to hold up.
Tbh: I currently have no Idea what the processor is , how much memory or the type/size of the storage system is that was put in the 2014 Mazda 3. If anyone knows..im sure it will co.e to be a very usefull post.
Windows is a hog not because it is constantly upgraded -- so is linux and android -- but because it is the OS of business and must maintain compatibility with some very old programs. I run several computers in my house with Windows, Linux, and iOS. I can tell you that with the processors I have, Windows is every bit as responsive as the other alternatives. The paradigm has changed because of Moore's Law and the cost of processing power and memory.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts