2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mazda 3 2015 skyactiv2.0 litre sportnav petrol

has anyone noticed when they are accelerating, a slight lag or it is like a hesitation especially at slower speeds.
It can be felt when putting the foot on the accelerator a very annoying lul before the car picks up speed.
I have taken the car to the garage where the mechanic has tested the car on the computer diagnostics. no issues.
otherwise the car is fine (apart from no dab radio)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Starting from a complete stop or no? Auto trans likes to stay in 2nd when possible (not stopped, but when slowed down) which tends to rob you of starting power when you get on it again. Force it to downshift or go manual mode if you really need to get going that quickly. That issue basically went away after tuning as the throttle response got tweaked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar issue on my 2015 2.0 Manual - Especially noticeable in 3rd, when accelerating hard - It's been in to the dealer, who have run tests, taken it for a drive etc. They acknowledged there was a slight lag in power delivery.

I was supposed to arrange a time to take it back and test drive a comparable model - Due to work and distance to my local Mazda dealer, I've yet to do this

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just rev match and downshift into the appropriate gear that puts the engine in a reasonable power band if I need to "get out of trouble".

These cars just don't have the power winding up, and there's absolutely no harm in shifting from 6th to 3rd or even 2nd. At 5000 rpm, there is no 'lag' that I can sense.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Put it in sport mode. When its not in sport mode the transmission is doing its best for better MPG. Just the way it is with a non turbo 150 HP car that leans on the side of better MPG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mazda 3 2015 skyactiv2.0 litre sportnav petrol

has anyone noticed when they are accelerating, a slight lag or it is like a hesitation especially at slower speeds.
It can be felt when putting the foot on the accelerator a very annoying lul before the car picks up speed.
I have taken the car to the garage where the mechanic has tested the car on the computer diagnostics. no issues.
otherwise the car is fine (apart from no dab radio)
I have the exact same issue with my 2015 Mazda 3, 2.0 Manual 6. Did you ever solve the issue, and/or drive a similar model for comparison? I was thinking about doing that, because I cannot believe this hesitation is normal. Coincidentally, just this past Monday, I plugged in a generic OBD reader that I borrowed from Autozone. It had an option for "Live Readings." All the TESTS and components reported that they were within specs when I ran them. BUT...when I selected "LIVE READINGS," and viewed the ignition timing advance from idle to quick acceleration, I noted a visual drop in the timing advance. The pattern looked very much like a sinus rhythm heartbeat. First, it was a relatively flat line while idling. But then as I gave it a quick but moderate hit on the accelerator, the timing advance DROPPED to a negative number ever so briefly...in sync with the engine hesitating for just a second...and yeah, on the older cars I was trained on, retarded ignition timing can result in acceleration lag. On the graph, the flat line first took a quick dip, then quickly jumped DRAMATICALLY UP as the timing advance increased. The problem is that I don't know what the timing advance pattern is supposed to look like, BUT...I'm pretty sure there should be no visible DROP (e.g. retard, since it actually went negative for a fraction of a second. You should not see the timing retard, especially when punching the gas pedal (that I am aware of, anyway). The whole idea is for it to advance, so the car jumps up in RPMs. So I am planning on running the situation by someone at the local Mazda dealer...but I'm wondering if anyone else has explored this hesitation issue further, and most especially if you ever solved your issue? It's irritating, when intending to accelerate, that instead it hiccups for a second, then finally goes...especially from the "Zoom, Zoom" company.

·
Super Moderator
5,178 Posts
Probably the ECU pulling timing to prevent knock under the initial load. Check the engine load percentage numbers and KR readings that are concurrent to the change in timing advance.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,042 Posts
After the tune and throttle remap, engine lag is not an issue any longer. Unless I'm lagging myself and not shifting into the correct gear..
CK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts