2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Fully understand that it is not intended to be a quick car, but has anyone timed their 0-60 (or 0-100 in km/h) in their gen3? Particularly interested in the 2.5L manual

Thanks

Dane (from Australia)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dane, the figures I have seen are between 8.4 to 7.0 to 100kph.

That is auto reading Australian magazines and newspapers. I think the difference is taking off with your foot on the brake and flooring the accelerator and dropping your foot off the brake pedal.

You won't be disappointed with the performance in city or country driving. My cars really well. They run crap noisy tyres though.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Not really - once you're flooring it, you're flooring it and the ECU responds accordingly. It'll hold the gears for just as long in either mode if you're flooring it.
sports mode toughens the suspension a bit and makes the car push a little harder towards the redline. It will shave maybe .5s off your time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
sports mode toughens the suspension a bit and makes the car push a little harder towards the redline. It will shave maybe .5s off your time.
Not to jump the gun here but I'm pretty sure that there are no real time changes to the suspension. It's "old school" no magnetic or air ride... spring and damper rates are 'constant.'

·
Registered
323 Posts
Not to jump the gun here but I'm pretty sure that there are no real time changes to the suspension. It's "old school" no magnetic or air ride... spring and damper rates are 'constant.'
True, I watched 0-60 on the fast lane on youtube, so was just expanding from there. They shaved 0.4s off their time - so doesn't do too much.

·
Registered
125 Posts
True, I watched 0-60 on the fast lane on youtube, so was just expanding from there. They shaved 0.4s off their time - so doesn't do too much.
Here in Australia we don't get sports mode setting. Or at least there is no button for it. I wonder if it could be set via the infotainment system somehow.

0.4s isn't a huge amount - the car is no supercar - but it's probably more than a lot of aftermarket mods would give you, like exhaust or intake!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sometimes I feel a bit quicker off the line when I have it in sport mode. For being a "not fast" car this thing is pretty fast. I traded a Veloster Turbo for my 2.5 Mazda, and let me tell you, the Mazda feels just as fast. And honestly the Mazda feels peppier around town because the VT came with a terrible factory tune.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Aussiegt, I was really pissed that my gt didn't have the sport mode button as they do in the States. Do you have any info why we were left out? 0.4 of a second is a lot to me. A lot of aftermarket mods like some air filters on some cars wouldn't give you 0.4 or any where near that. Why can't we have it? I wonder if we can install as aftermarket?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Any chance this car would ever get a computer update for the engine tuning? I wouldn't expect anything major but Tesla seems to push out updates for their cars that shave time off 0-60. I know Mazda is no Tesla and this is no electric car but I cant imagine Mazda got the tuning PERFECT before they released our cars. That is probably just a fantasy on my part though.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Any chance this car would ever get a computer update for the engine tuning? I wouldn't expect anything major but Tesla seems to push out updates for their cars that shave time off 0-60. I know Mazda is no Tesla and this is no electric car but I cant imagine Mazda got the tuning PERFECT before they released our cars. That is probably just a fantasy on my part though.
The 3rd gen skyactiv 2.0 ECUs are still not supported by MazdaEdit, the main software used to tune these cars. They may be supported in the near future. For the 3rd gen skyactiv 2.5s, a number of ECUs (code IDs) are already supported by MazdaEdit (among the Mazda 3, CX-5 and Mazda 6). So far, OV tuning has shown a nearly ~20% increase in power on cars with an intake, exhaust and higher octane fuel. These engines have LOTS of tuning potential, as Mazda did a very conservative job on the stock tune. VVT cams, ignition timing, and AFR settings are very conservative, mainly to deal with varying climates and fuel quality. Join the Mazda 3 Tuning group on Facebook for more details.

Reactions: nanxun

·
Registered
508 Posts
On the same topic, what kind of times are you guys getting on the 80-120 km/h (50-75mph) times ?

The Car Guide (Guide de l'Auto) states the 2012 GS-SKY with the 2.0L engine took 7.63 seconds with the six-speed automatic. Autonet states the 2013 GT with the 2.5L SkyActiv engine only took 5.2 seconds.

I did a brief test with the stopwatch on my phone and managed ~7 seconds with my 2013 GS-SKY automatic in third gear (manual mode). I wonder if it would be as fast in fourth gear...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Aussiegt, I was really pissed that my gt didn't have the sport mode button as they do in the States. Do you have any info why we were left out? 0.4 of a second is a lot to me. A lot of aftermarket mods like some air filters on some cars wouldn't give you 0.4 or any where near that. Why can't we have it? I wonder if we can install as aftermarket?
It's a lot to me as well. I am investigating whether we can enable it via the infotainment system.

I don't know any more details. Maybe the underlying capability is there, but that the physical button isn't installed.

At the moment I just 'kick down' on the throttle when I want to accelerate quickly and it seems to hold the gear until it hits redline.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, even if it doesnt do anything to the suspension, I stand corrected. It may not be the biggest difference, but you could feel a half a second difference. I'll play around with it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts