2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, for a while now whenever I start my car (Mazda 3, 2.2D, 2016) the car sounds like is gonna cut off in mid engine start up, but eventually starts. It all started in September and then I found out there was a recall on the shutter intake valve, that apparently builds up carbon and the car feels like it's gonna cut off immediately after it's started and it will judder for a bit. However the car was due for servicing and last Friday I had it done (engine oil, filters, coolant, air con, etc.), also fuel treatment and of course the recall check up on the valve and software update was performed (I guess it didn't need to be cleaned or replaced), but after I got the car back I still have the same issues on start up. The other problem I experience for a while as well and believe it might be related with the start up issue is that the car won't start on high revs anymore (Accelerated Warm-Up System) and it doesn't matter whether outside is subzero temperature, close to 0°C or about 10-15°C, but I do notice the colder the weather the harder it starts. I don't know if the battery charge is insufficient and that may be the issue, because the way it starts it feels a bit like the battery may need charging up, but the start/stop works perfectly fine. I will speak with Mazda tomorrow and ask them to send a full list of what was done and maybe get the car back with as I am not happy at all with it and I believe there is definitely something to do with this intake valve. In the mean time I am hoping if anyone has any idea what it could be or suggestions what I could try to at least get the Accelerated Warm-Up System back on.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Start stop system will work because the battery is freshly charged. The cold starts will have more of an issue if the battery is failing. Check the voltage on your battery in the morning before starting the car. It should read 13 volts. 12.9 if the car has a light load. If it's lower, go to your nearest hardware store, they all have battery testers and usually do them for free. If you buy a battery from the dealer you'll spend twice as much. I recommend northstar batteries if you are replacing a start stop battery. It's a lot cheaper than the mazda one and likely better too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I performed the voltage check and battery charge was 12.52V and dropped to about 10.30V on engine start, seconds after went to 13.92V or slightly higher. I’ll try to fully charge up the battery and then see if the warm up system will start working again so I can be sure that the problem is the battery. I just spent £500 on servicing and before eventually investing another £200 for a new battery want to be sure it will work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Little update on the situation. Yesterday went to work for a short shift and 4 hours later when I started the car the warm up system worked as it should, so now I’m a bit confused. Don’t know whether it was because the battery was charged up on my way to work and didn’t have enough time to discharge for 4hrs or for some other reason just decided to work. Although this morning when I started the car after it was parked all night it didn’t work so I’m back to stage 1.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Keep an eye on it for now. Can't diagnose no problem.

With batteries, get yourself a load tester. It's not expensive and will show you the health of the battery. Voltage testing is helpful, but does not tell the whole story.

I load test mine twice a year minimum. Once capacity starts to drop to a significant degree, it gets replaced. I'd far rather replace a battery early than get stuck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, just to prove a point, after I came back from gym and parked the car, decided to go and start it about 5hrs later and again the warm up system worked. I will get the battery checked out and see if it needs replacing.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It might be getting cold enough that the voltage it dropping too much which would speak to that. If you do replace it, I recommend this brand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, for a while now whenever I start my car (Mazda 3, 2.2D, 2016) the car sounds like is gonna cut off in mid engine start up, but eventually starts. It all started in September and then I found out there was a recall on the shutter intake valve, that apparently builds up carbon and the car feels like it's gonna cut off immediately after it's started and it will judder for a bit. However the car was due for servicing and last Friday I had it done (engine oil, filters, coolant, air con, etc.), also fuel treatment and of course the recall check up on the valve and software update was performed (I guess it didn't need to be cleaned or replaced), but after I got the car back I still have the same issues on start up. The other problem I experience for a while as well and believe it might be related with the start up issue is that the car won't start on high revs anymore (Accelerated Warm-Up System) and it doesn't matter whether outside is subzero temperature, close to 0°C or about 10-15°C, but I do notice the colder the weather the harder it starts. I don't know if the battery charge is insufficient and that may be the issue, because the way it starts it feels a bit like the battery may need charging up, but the start/stop works perfectly fine. I will speak with Mazda tomorrow and ask them to send a full list of what was done and maybe get the car back with as I am not happy at all with it and I believe there is definitely something to do with this intake valve. In the mean time I am hoping if anyone has any idea what it could be or suggestions what I could try to at least get the Accelerated Warm-Up System back on.

I have exactly the same issue as Radoslav with my CX-5 . And I have been investigating that for the past few months...
The direct answer from Mazda headquarters to my Mazda dealership Service in Edinburgh Scotland, is that requirements for Accelerated Warm-up System to kick in is temperature between 15Celsius and 35Celsius, as idiotic as it sounds!
Apparently it has nothing to do with warming up the engine, it has more to do with reducing the emissions.
I am not happy with it. It hasn't been like that before, and I have a feeling that it has changed after recent software update in my car, -but that's the genuine answer I got from Mazda!
I hope that helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have exactly the same issue as Radoslav with my CX-5 . And I have been investigating that for the past few months...
The direct answer from Mazda headquarters to my Mazda dealership Service in Edinburgh Scotland, is that requirements for Accelerated Warm-up System to kick in is temperature between 15Celsius and 35Celsius, as idiotic as it sounds!
Apparently it has nothing to do with warming up the engine, it has more to do with reducing the emissions.
I am not happy with it. It hasn't been like that before, and I have a feeling that it has changed after recent software update in my car, -but that's the genuine answer I got from Mazda!
I hope that helps.
Hi, and thanks for the update! To be fair makes sense for this to be working in certain conditions, but I would think it depends on the engine temperature rather than the outside temperature. I remember when I first got the car it used to start on high revs every single time when it was below the temperature threshold, but now it does it in very rare cases and never on a cold start when it’s actually supposed to do it. What your also saying about the software update, this was my first thought as I had to get car checked out due to a recall on the shutter intake valve. Had some of the symptoms regarding the issue, but all it needed was a software update and after I got the car... no high revs start. I did the annual service at the same time which included oil and filters, plus some additional work as a/c service and filter, coolant, brake service, fuel treatment and emission control service, so the only thing that comes to mind is the software update, but I can’t be certain. What I have as a bigger problem since is that on a cold start the engine start is really rough and it feels like is not going to start, but just finds the power to do it and I still can’t find out why, as there are no other symptoms of mechanical or electrical issues. The car is due for MOT next week and I will get the battery checked out and if everything is okay again I will just get the car to the dealer and if they don’t find whats wrong with it, (if anything at all) I am starting to look for another one, its just not worth the stress.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts