2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have issues with the Air Conditioning in the morning. I live in Florida and it has been especially hot and muggy this summer. When I start the car in the morning I have the AC system on auto and the temp set to around 70 degrees or so. I notice that it blows warm air for quite a while until I bump down the temperature significantly to around 65 degrees or so, then it kicks in. Until I do that it blows warm air. I had a 2018 Mazda 3 GT and it did not act this way. I also have noticed that there are no switches for moving airflow to the feet vs. upper body.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I live in Florida also, and I’ve noticed when I had my air around 70 it blew out warm air as you reported and had to actually lower the temperature to 69 or 68 in order to feel colder air. At first I thought something was wrong because it was hot and muggy and over 80°, and 70° should have been enough to cool it off but it wasn’t. By cranking it down another notch it start to work just fine. Go figure

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could it be that overnight the interior of the car stays pretty close to that "70" degrees, especially when lows are in the 70's? Then when you start it up in the morning the auto system simply doesn't think it needs to immediately blast 65 degree air to get it down 1 or 2 degrees, say as opposed to in the middle of the day with the sun on it and the inside of the car gets to 120 degrees. Also the car measures humidity as well as direct sunlight from the outside (via a sensor above the rearview mirror), and could be trying to relieve the humidity first especially when it doesn't sense direct sunlight affecting the temp of the car.

There is a switch to control the airflow direction, it just doesn't have a light on it. It's the button directly below the screen indicator of the flow.

I read all this via the owners manual btw. Just making assumptions based on the info given!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. Funny I went to the on-line interactive owners manual this morning and didn't notice the directional buttons. I'll take a look again later on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did find them last night when I was leaving work. For some reason I just never put two and two together or didn't really think about it that hard. The two buttons that have no text on them are represented by the lit up graphics on the display, one for air flow and the other for vent selection.

Thank you all for the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone else have issues with the Air Conditioning in the morning. I live in Florida and it has been especially hot and muggy this summer. When I start the car in the morning I have the AC system on auto and the temp set to around 70 degrees or so. I notice that it blows warm air for quite a while until I bump down the temperature significantly to around 65 degrees or so, then it kicks in. Until I do that it blows warm air. I had a 2018 Mazda 3 GT and it did not act this way. I also have noticed that there are no switches for moving airflow to the feet vs. upper body.
I live in Florida also, and I’ve noticed when I had my air around 70 it blew out warm air as you reported and had to actually lower the temperature to 69 or 68 in order to feel colder air. At first I thought something was wrong because it was hot and muggy and over 80°, and 70° should have been enough to cool it off but it wasn’t. By cranking it down another notch it start to work just fine. Go figure
I was waiting to see if anyone mentioned this... I'm out in SoCal and have been experiencing the same thing. It seems to blow warm air when the outside temp shows less than 70, like in the morning, and the AC is set higher, around 72. There was one short trip where the AC seemed like it didn't work at all. Previously had a 2017 3 GT and rarely had to adjust the temp knob from 72-73 degrees. I was about to take it in to get looked at, but it's been ok for now if I fidget with the knob a bit. The temp is set lower now, like 66-69, but that's ok. I think either there is a different algorithm or sensor to adjust temperature, or an issue with the condenser relay kicking in. I'm interested in see who else chimes in and what might/can be done...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just letting you guys know about Mazda's HVAC or Air Conditioner System.

This applies to all new BP Mazda 3 and new DM Mazda CX-30.
With AC on therefore AC Compressor is on and working, IF you Hard accelerate or throttle position is 50% or higher your AC Compressor Turns OFF, so it will not cool until Accelerator Position is below 50%.
No this prerequisite is NOT adjustable.
The Reason why?, well Mazda tells their dealers the reason is to maximize engine power under harder acceleration, which is correct, but also In My Opinion it also protects the AC Compressor at high RPM.
Everything today is lighter less robust and more efficient (fuel economy/weight wise) but reliability long term can be questionable (IMO).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Also this applies to ALL AC Systems in the Car or the Home.
Obviously if any car window is Open then any AC system is less efficient.

But the big one, and yes I have argued this for 20 plus years and has not changed.
IF you are trying to cool down the inside of your car, then DO NOT have the HVAC on FRESH, Only have it on RECIRC, why well if it is 100F outside you are trying to cool down this Hot Air coming into your cars cabin by cars Compressor/Evaporator you are heat soaking the system way too much, it will NEVER be efficient.
On recirculation of air it is only cooling down the air inside of cabin and inside air being heated by sun through glass/metal..
Some HVAC systems won't permit you to use Fresh air to cool down with AC on, Mazda once did it all as default or automatically then customers complained, frankly I am not certain what their exact set ups are per model, it keeps changing.
Anyway, the cars fuel economy, performance and cooling abilities will always be better with ALL Windows up and NO Fresh Air (hot outside Air) coming inside of cabin to be cooled.
When the AC Compressor is working hard, both the R134 Gas and AC parts becomes heat soaked and then that transfers to the cars Engine as heat from from Condenser passes through cars Radiator, AC Condensers are always in front of Cars Radiator. The more efficient or less operation of AC then less heat all round.
See my comment above about Mazda policy and your cars Accelerator position which turns AC Compressor OFF when On and will not COOL.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Guys the HVAC issue is a well known problem. There is a TSB out there to fix "air conditioning blows hot for first 10 minutes between x and x temperature"
Not sure how effective it is, the HVAC can be pretty wacky in this car

·
Registered
309 Posts
Guys the HVAC issue is a well known problem. There is a TSB out there to fix "air conditioning blows hot for first 10 minutes between x and x temperature"
Not sure how effective it is, the HVAC can be pretty wacky in this car
Yes, that one is due to the Dash ESU (Electrical Supply Unit), but with a MDARS Software Update with a Re-Programming of the D_ESU should rectify that.
This is NOT related to the Compressor Turn OFF IF Acc Pedal (throttle) is at 50% or more, that at this stage is Non Adjustable 'feature', and this info is not publicised.
There are good reasons for most of this, mostly fuel economy and therefore emissions at engine start, the engine temperature when engine is stone cold, engine load when cold, etc, etc.
The Governments you elect demand better fuel consumption and lower emissions every model year (almost), this is the result...EPA!
Most of these average idiots we elect or are appointed in Congress and Parliaments around the world have not got a clue what it costs and 'how to' achieve what they demand, in the end the consumer pays more.
Don't get me started on these so called 'green' electric car BS, that use just as much if not more oil and rare earth minerals to make, use, etc....anyway am off topic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts