2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this weird situation going on. I have a Mazda 3 2014, and I'm in a pretty hot climate. This issue tends to happen more often when it's above 90 degrees outside (when I need the AC the most) but I'm not sure if it's related because I usually don't really use the AC when it isn't hot so maybe I need more testing. Anyway, I went to the dealer a couple weeks ago and they checked it out and said everything is fine, the pressure is good the freon is good, compressor works. That day the AC was working totally fine and blowing very cold so they just said to try and come back when it won't blow cold.
A couple days ago the issue returned, no matter what I try (going fast on the highway, stopped in the shade, turning it off and on, switching the knob to defrost and back playing with fan speed and fan temperature it won't blow cold. Then today, I decided to try it again and it was only blowing cold out of the passenger side and not cold on the drivers side. I then came back to the car a few hours later and now it's blowing cold again from all vents. I looked online and people are saying maybe the little blend AC door actuator has gone bad and doesn't open properly to let the AC air come in. And that totally made sense to me so I took the glove box out and watched how that actuator works when I adjust temperature or when I change to defrost/legs/back passengers setting and I don't thing it has any electric component to it as other cars have(or at least the one without the dual climate control, [which is the one I have]), it is all wired through a thick string that pushes the lever back and forth so I doubt the actuator is the issue because it moves fine.
Sorry for the long post, what could it be? Is there another flap/door thingy deeper somewhere that may be trapped?

·
Registered
170 Posts
So I have this weird situation going on. I have a Mazda 3 2014, and I'm in a pretty hot climate. This issue tends to happen more often when it's above 90 degrees outside (when I need the AC the most) but I'm not sure if it's related because I usually don't really use the AC when it isn't hot so maybe I need more testing. Anyway, I went to the dealer a couple weeks ago and they checked it out and said everything is fine, the pressure is good the freon is good, compressor works. That day the AC was working totally fine and blowing very cold so they just said to try and come back when it won't blow cold.
A couple days ago the issue returned, no matter what I try (going fast on the highway, stopped in the shade, turning it off and on, switching the knob to defrost and back playing with fan speed and fan temperature it won't blow cold. Then today, I decided to try it again and it was only blowing cold out of the passenger side and not cold on the drivers side. I then came back to the car a few hours later and now it's blowing cold again from all vents. I looked online and people are saying maybe the little blend AC door actuator has gone bad and doesn't open properly to let the AC air come in. And that totally made sense to me so I took the glove box out and watched how that actuator works when I adjust temperature or when I change to defrost/legs/back passengers setting and I don't thing it has any electric component to it as other cars have(or at least the one without the dual climate control, [which is the one I have]), it is all wired through a thick string that pushes the lever back and forth so I doubt the actuator is the issue because it moves fine.
Sorry for the long post, what could it be? Is there another flap/door thingy deeper somewhere that may be trapped?
Check the cabin air filter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the cabin air filter.
I did check it and I did replace the filter recently but that didn't help, and I didn't even think the filter was the issue in the first place.

What would the filter have to do with it? If it was the filter wouldn't it always not cool properly?

·
Registered
72 Posts
It could be the evaporator is freezing up. More airflow may reduce that. It may have a problem with low refrigerant, or temperature detection. It seems the dealer service could read the A/C diagnostic codes and figure out what is wrong.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I did check it and I did replace the filter recently but that didn't help, and I didn't even think the filter was the issue in the first place.

What would the filter have to do with it? If it was the filter wouldn't it always not cool properly?
Some people never replace their cabin filter or even know there is one. By that time, it could have rotten out and clogged the cooling lines

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be the evaporator is freezing up. More airflow may reduce that. It may have a problem with low refrigerant, or temperature detection. It seems the dealer service could read the A/C diagnostic codes and figure out what is wrong.
Thanks, I talked to the dealership. I scheduled an appointment for the next day when my AC was not blowing cold and guess what, when I got there the next day, the AC was blasting cold. So they couldn't diagnose anything because the AC was normal so they just told me to come back when the AC is not working.
I'm glad you mentioned the evaporator, I wonder if that's what it is, the more I think about it I just think that the compressor might be on it's way out, even if the car has only 23k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts