2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just had a quick question about the AC clutch. When I was talking to the seller he mentioned that it needed an AC clutch and that when he took it in they tested something something (sorry, can't remember exactly what) and they had determined it to just be the clutch. I have been looking at buying one online and replacing it, but was just talking to someone and was told I would need to replace the whole compressor. Is this accurate? The price difference is $300, so I would prefer to avoid that if I can. Thanks for the help!

·
'18 M3HGTP Eternal Blue
77 Posts
I've been down this road before... thought I needed "just the clutch", but in reality the clutch went out because the compressor was locked up and the new clutch burned out immediately. So I was out the parts and labor cost for Both jobs ~ what's cheaper, doing them both or doing the compressor (and associated parts) from the get-go. I will never, ever, replace just the clutch again. There's no way to know what caused the clutch failure, so you're always running a gamble.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been down this road before... thought I needed "just the clutch", but in reality the clutch went out because the compressor was locked up and the new clutch burned out immediately. So I was out the parts and labor cost for Both jobs ~ what's cheaper, doing them both or doing the compressor (and associated parts) from the get-go. I will never, ever, replace just the clutch again. There's no way to know what caused the clutch failure, so you're always running a gamble.

Well shit, I had no idea this was even possible. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts