2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,
I’m the owner of a Mazda 3 I, 2010, 47 000 miles, in Miami FL
8 months ago, I started to have ABS and TSC warning light coming on and off. It could stay on a day or more and then be off for couple of days.
The only pattern I noticed: most of the time, the lights were on when it was hot outside and my car was exposed to the sun.
The speed sensor wire seems to be fine, ABS module looks OK. I have no trouble or weird sensation when I brake. Cruise still works.
Couple of weeks ago, the lights starts to be on constantly. Then I realize it was time for a diagnostic and I brought it to a mechanic: “Faulty ABS Pump”, error C1288 if I remember correctly
After a Google research, looks like it is a factory default. However, this morning, on an unusual “cold” temperature, around 65 F, no lights for more than a hour…and then it came back…probably because the engine was too hot.
According to my mechanic, it will cost more than $1000 to replace the ABS pump or $600 to replace it with a used part.
However, I’m wondering if one of you has a similar experience with it. I’m not comfortable to set a new Pump that has probably the same factory default. And I’m not even sure the pump is the trouble.
Any help will be more appreciated.
best

·
Registered
752 Posts
guess what your car is under warranty. Take it to a dealer and get that shiz fixed for free. First I have read about this issue too so probably just a factory defect.

·
Registered
752 Posts
the drivetrain should be 5year 60k miles... bumper to bumper is only 3 year 30k That might be considered in the drivetrain warranty. Its definitely worth asking the dealer or researching before shelling out $600

·
Registered
172 Posts
the drivetrain should be 5year 60k miles... bumper to bumper is only 3 year 30k That might be considered in the drivetrain warranty. Its definitely worth asking the dealer or researching before shelling out $600
Maybe worth a try but most likely wishful thinking at best. If it isn't specifically the engine or transmission car manufacturers can generally weasel their way out of paying for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already change my door lock actuator 2 months after my warranty ended. I called Mazda before and they didn't want to pay a dollar for it. This ABS pump is a well known factory default and only few people got a "goodwill commercial gesture" from Mazda that took care of 35% of the bill ....if you got the repair done at a Mazda dealer for way much more than $600.
Getting the car inspected by a Mazda dealer is already very expensive
Let say that I'm pretty unhappy with Mazda customer services and warranty.

In the mean time, I found an interesting TSB :
Summary: MAZDA: THE ABS WARNING LIGHT COMES ON AND ABS MOTOR MONITOR SIGNAL FAILS TO CORRESPOND TO ABS HU/CM ON/OFF SIGNAL AND HAPPENS IN AREA WHERE THERE IS HIGH AMBIENT TEMPERATURES AND HUMIDITY. MODEL 2010-2011 MAZDA3
It sounds like Miami weather. I really have the feeling this error is related to the temperature but cannot find out why. This looks like another lead I should explore.

Any other idea ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dear all I got an update.
Yesterday I got the car diagnostic by another mechanic.
DTC code C0020. So I told him to check the TSB mentioned above. After an hour of work, he came back and told me ABS Pump need to be change.
This morning, temperature was unusually cod for the area, between 55 and 60 F.
And magically no warning light. I drove about an hour to go to work and no warning light so far.

I'm little bit lost. If the ABS PUMP was the issue, should I have the warning light constantly on ? whatever the weather could be ...
It's been almost a year, would I get brake trouble with a faulty pump ?

Best

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Melbourne Florida and I am experiencing the exact same issues. I have a 2010 mazdaspeed 3, and im not wanting to drop $1000.00 on this either. Any updates?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Similar issue here in Clearwater, Florida with a Mazda3 2010 Hatchback. Unable to clear Code C0020 with an ODN/ABS scanner. Checked the harness for open and shorts and related fuse and all seems ok. Failure is pointing to the actual ABS motor control unit. The actual TSB from Mazda dealership states "If the vehicle is used in an area with high ambient temperature and humidity the pump motor brush in the ABS Hydraulic unit may have poor contact causing the ABS light to turn ON". The repair procedure basically calls to check the wiring, the fuses, and if ok then proceed replacing the ABS HU/HM.
It is interesting that there is not a safety recall on this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did go to the dealer. They acknowledge the TSB; however, they offer no relief on the cost of the repair as there was no recall on this problem. Not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'd check for used part BBY7437AZD, BBY7437AZB salvage yard or ebay I'm linking information for my 2011 mazda 3S so I can fix this just glad I don't own a 2008 part is 3 x as much

·
Registered
2 Posts
abs pump also faulty

I currently own a 2010 speed 3 and my abs light and tsc light came on paid 100 dollars at the dealership for them to tell me my abs control module needs to be replaced at over 1000 smackers and yeah my warranty has expired. I dont understand it has 51000 miles never raced driven ultra normal exceptional condition i did pay alot for this car and dont expect a part to mulfunction or break at this mileage what would cause that part to break anyone?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just experienced the same issue with my 2010 Mazda 3. Took it to a mechanic shop. He said the ABS control unit was faulty. Charged me 1251.17 to replace it. This is apparently an issue with this unit and Mazda should declare a recall and refund for all who have this unit replaced. My car only has 22,600 miles on it. I live just outside of New Orleans so the temperature issue is a given.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2009 Mazda has been doing the same thing, my mechanic says he has seen the same fault in other Mazdas that have come in. He recommended taking back to dealership for diagnosis, yep, abs module faulty $2229 to replace. He said the abs would not work, however I have tested and they still work. He also said replacement was not covered under extended warranty. Mentioned to him that this was a common fault, he said no not compared to the number of cars sold.
Also, I also live in a warm climate, sub-tropical climate in North Queensland, Australia.
My mechanic has said, if I can live with the lights on don't worry about changing it over until he can source a cheaper option. Only thing that will happen if the abs braking system fails is the tyres will skid.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts