2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Every day when I unlock the car for the first time in the morning or when it's been sitting parked for a prolonged period of time, I always hear a single light 'clang' from the passenger side rear wheel. It's like someone lightly tapped on a metal part with a hammer. This happened when I had my car stock, after rear sway bar install, and also after the lowering springs. I think it happens after I open any door. Sometimes I just get in the driver's door, sometimes I open the trunk before getting in the car myself, but when any door opens, there's the clang.

Does anyone have this issue? It's not so much as an issue as a curiosity, there are no driveability issues with my Mazda3.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wanna record this and post the video on youtube? I'd assume it might be your door lock actuator making that noise but they normally whine when they go bad, not clunk.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a metal-on-metal noise, literally like someone tapped the rear control arms or the spring with a hammer. A light 'clonk' would be the best way to describe it without using a video.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always hear a single light 'clang' from the passenger side rear wheel.
a video would be more helpful rather than an explanation so that we can hear exactly were its coming from?
I really don't know how much difference a cell phone video is going to help than that. It's probably not from the wheels, probably from the rear suspension on the passenger side.

·
Rubber side down
272 Posts
Possibly the ebrake slipping in the rear or some stored tension being released when the car's weight is shifted? I have gotten a noise when jacking up the rear of the car on one side.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It could be the end links hitting something or sway bar. Since you are lowered and have a higher stiffness sway bar you should get new adjustable end links to put your suspension geometry back to stock spec plus the stock end links aren’t made for the higher stresses it’ll experience with a lowered and thicker sway bar.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Possibly the ebrake slipping in the rear or some stored tension being released when the car's weight is shifted? I have gotten a noise when jacking up the rear of the car on one side.
I'll try parking with wheel chocks and in 1st gear (the garage has a slight decline) and see if I get that noise.

It could be the end links hitting something or sway bar. Since you are lowered and have a higher stiffness sway bar you should get new adjustable end links to put your suspension geometry back to stock spec plus the stock end links aren’t made for the higher stresses it’ll experience with a lowered and thicker sway bar.
The Racing Beat springs are a very very mild drop...3/4" front and 1/2" rear. Also, this noise happened with the stock setup a few times as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If the weather is humid or rainy, it might be the sound of breaking rust between the brake pads and the rotor. Or the pad might be slipping on the rotor. Just my guess.

Edit: try parking without hand brake and see if the problem still persists

Sent from my Washing Machine using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts