2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

Just posting some quick thoughts on the Tein Springs with Koni FSDs.

Goal: A nice drop, that's very driveable in everyday life settings. It has to be comfortable, but must give me a decent drop.

Expectations: Before being lowered, I had read a few mix reviews on Tein Springs. In this forum, there were a couple of people that didn't like ride quality. But after finding further positive research, much from the Philippines, and because of the spring rates being close to stock, I decided to go for it. Plus by adding the FSDs, I thought this could be really close to stock ride quality.

The Results:
Winner!!! It's really close to stock ride quality (hard to tell the difference). I also did add 225/45/18 tires (.5 inches taller than stock), which also helps absorb bumps slightly better. I'm super satisfied!!

With this in mind, the driving characteristics did not change much... Not must crispier turning, nothing special... But again, with how the the spring rates are, it was not supposed to.

I did add a Progress rear sway bar, so this makes the car a little bit more "special":)

Other thoughts/pics coming soon. Drops is 30mm for front, and 35mm for the rear on the Teins.

And now the bad news... It's hard finding these springs now:/

EDIT: Cell phone pic found on post #13

EDIT 2: Some Vogtlang Springs info can be found through this thread lol:sneaky:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Nice to hear @ELegend3! Happy that it all turned out great. Can't wait for pics. My FSD's arrived yesterday after ordering them on Monday!

I looked for the Teins and found some in the UK, but shipping was crazy. I wasn't gonna pay $362 for springs and shipping, LOL.

I was going to go with Eibach but, the drop is not enough for me, still feel the rear is way high, plus my tires are 40 series so gap would be even larger. I know the ride would have been super nice, but I am taking a chance. I went with Vogtland springs, same drop as H&R which I absolutely love. Can't wait to get rid of these BC Coilovers!!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Nice to hear @ELegend3! Happy that it all turned out great. Can't wait for pics. My FSD's arrived yesterday after ordering them on Monday!

I looked for the Teins and found some in the UK, but shipping was crazy. I wasn't gonna pay $362 for springs and shipping, LOL.

I was going to go with Eibach but, the drop is not enough for me, still feel the rear is way high, plus my tires are 40 series so gap would be even larger. I know the ride would have been super nice, but I am taking a chance. I went with Vogtland springs, same drop as H&R which I absolutely love. Can't wait to get rid of these BC Coilovers!!

Huge thanks to @minsanity @arathol and @ELegend3 for their advice, thoughts and knowledge.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The 1st hand experiences w/ the combo choices above will really help those headed the Springs+FSD direction.
Grats & thanks, @ELegend3 & @leela222!!!
I know I didn't listen to you on the springs, but I wanted the drop I had with my H&R's and did research on the Vogtlands. Even though no one here has them I've read great reviews with other cars with these and FSD's...I took a chance, fingers crossed.

Reactions: minsanity

·
Registered
98 Posts

Having had a set of Vogtland springs matched with B8 Bilsteins on my old Honda Accord I absolutely loved the ride quality and the amount of drop. Best all around spring shock combo I've had the pleasure of using. I will be getting Vogtlands for my Mazda once the suspension wears out. Or when cash flow allows it haha.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Having had a set of Vogtland springs matched with B8 Bilsteins on my old Honda Accord I absolutely loved the ride quality and the amount of drop. Best all around spring shock combo I've had the pleasure of using. I will be getting Vogtlands for my Mazda once the suspension wears out. Or when cash flow allows it haha.
Sweet! Thank you for the information!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nice write up, thanks for the review, I have been debating on what springs to get, looking to sit a bit lower than stock, probably leaning toward Eibach or CS, I was set on CS initially but I have always had Eibach on all my other cars
If you're looking for an in-between drop, I love my H&R's so far, even on stock struts :)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If you're looking for an in-between drop, I love my H&R's so far, even on stock struts :)
The Vogtland springs are the same drop as H&R. I had the H&R with Koni Yellows and didn't like the ride, the Yellows to me are too harsh. Was going to get them again, but read up on the Vogtland and decided to try them out.

Reactions: minsanity

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Huge thanks to @minsanity @arathol and @ELegend3 for their advice, thoughts and knowledge.

Yes, must give honor where honor is due! Huge thanks to them, and most of all, for me personally, Minsanity for always hyping these springs lol. Thank You all!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
^ Hahaha.....aren't we all here to share & pick up good discoveries? FSDs have always been a good stock upgrade. Now, you gotta post pics, @ELegend sir!:)
LOL I'm waiting for the springs to settle just a lil tiny more. Don't want to give anyone a false advertisement:sneaky 1:

Plus I could use a car wash:shifty:

And I need to go to a decent place for background purposes:tt2:

Annnnd I need to wait for the right lighting:001_cool 1:

Ehhh... OKay, here's a quick cell phone pic lol. One for now... lol

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
LOL I'm waiting for the springs to settle just a lil tiny more. Don't want to give anyone a false advertisement:sneaky 1:

Dayummmm...so sick!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Vogtland springs are the same drop as H&R. I had the H&R with Koni Yellows and didn't like the ride, the Yellows to me are too harsh. Was going to get them again, but read up on the Vogtland and decided to try them out.

Thanks for the info, ill take a look at these options

·
Registered
98 Posts

Same drop much but much nicer ride. Still very sporty but much better over bumps. My EX and I had the same cars so She Got bilstein's as well but I got Vogtland springs and she Went H&R sports. We took my car more often hehe. I think I remember back when reading that Vogtland was an oem supplier for AMG. So thats neat too.

Anyways. sorry for thread jacking OP.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

Looking sexy @ELegend3

Reactions: ELegend3

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Same drop much but much nicer ride. Still very sporty but much better over bumps. My EX and I had the same cars so She Got bilstein's as well but I got Vogtland springs and she Went H&R sports. We took my car more often hehe. I think I remember back when reading that Vogtland was an oem supplier for AMG. So thats neat too.

Anyways. sorry for thread jacking OP.
Love hearing this! My Vogtlands shipped from Germany UPS and will arrive tomorrow! Just waiting on some OEM parts, i.e. strut bearings, insulators, etc. to arrive. Should have it all installed around the 2nd or 3rd week of October.

And agree with @Lanesky sorry for hijacking your thread @ELegend3

Reactions: ELegend3

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@ELegend3, Very nice!!! Enjoy your new upgraded suspension! And please post more pics when the springs have settled in a bit more.
Thank You! I am very much enjoying it. I think now that the struts/shocks are "breaking in" a lil more, it's starting to feel even more comfortable! Might be better than stock?? But hard to tell (it could be in my mind lol). Also, I think the rear is finally coming down a lil more, which is good.

Reactions: leela222
1 - 20 of 28 Posts