2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where this belongs (if anywhere) but here it goes. Maybe I am not yet jaded by many negative experiences that I know some of you have encountered. After all, I am a very new owner.

Positive Experiences & Surprises

II'll start! I loaded a flash drive with some music and threw it in the car yesterday. I found the interface intuitive and straightforward. It was easier than playing music from my phone and the data it pulled was more complete making the listening experience more practical. A small thing I'll grant you, but still a pleasant and rather unexpected surprise.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Two of the greatest things since sliced bread that are part of the premium package are intelligent cruise control and auto high beams. Conversely, lane keep assist (which I turned off after a day or so and never turned back on) is just simply a PITA.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I use the usb for music exclusively. I didn't like the half assed control of the Bluetooth. I don't mind how the playback for usb works, but it really could be better. A simple way to skip a folder for example. Would be nice if it didn't start my playlist from the first folder every time.

Things I like: the handling. I love how this car handles. How it takes turns is incredible.

I like the auto headlights a lot. I just put them on auto and forget about it.

The manual transmission is very smooth shifting, especially with synthetic in the gearbox.

I actually like the auto wipers. They're not perfect, but overall work very well.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I agree. Great sedan. I call the Mz3 our "Bimmier", smooth and all like one. Actually test drove both on same day and liked the Mz3 better.

Doesn't handle like the Mx5 but great for a sedan. Greatly needs LSD like the Mx5 has. Lots of wheel spin in wet on the Mz3. Could be the Dunlops are partly responsible.

Don't care for the auto headlights, as they often will come on when not needed. Like the auto wipers.

About the nicest feature is the beeping when backing out, and it detects a person or vehicle coming from the side/back.

The 6M is nicer shifting than the more direct shifter on the Mx5, at least at 30k miles (both about the same miles).

Do not like the do-to-much-for-you GPS system. My little Garmin is easier to use.

The Mx5 is more like our old (diesel) Benz, very solid. Just gobs more hp.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks @RalphVa! From what I've read, you are probably right about the OEM tires. Personally, I don't mind a bit of wheel spin...I plan to flog them until it's time for a new set... 😂😂😂

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks @RalphVa! From what I've read, you are probably right about the OEM tires. Personally, I don't mind a bit of wheel spin...I plan to flog them until it's time for a new set... 😂😂😂
When you look at the TireRack rating for these Dunlops vs everything else in that class/size, it comes in dead last with Michelin about 10-12 spots above at the top. That’s a pretty compelling reason to upgrade sooner than later. And poor wet traction is the primary reason for the poor showing!

·
Registered
71 Posts
2017 3sGT

Love the way it handles. Lowered it on Eibach springs in the first 5k km, at the dealer. This thing not only looks great, it handles very well on it’s new Nokian ZLine AS tires.

Hate the infotainment. It takes forever to load contacts and reconnect Bluetooth music. Slows the whole head unit down for 15 up to 60 seconds on each startup. There’s slow, and then there’s THIS.

Rest is superb, can’t complain on anything else. Simply love it.

·
Banned
452 Posts
17 SGT 6spd. Pulls like stink, def need higher redline. Using Aux in and EQ on the phone the Bose system pounds pretty hard, at least enough till i start working on my system. My really onlky complaint is that of all the nannies you can turn off, SBS isnt one that stays disabled when you turn the car off. I put 1" wheels spacers on and it made a huge difference. Now i need other susp upgrades.

Hate the USB interface, too clunky and doesnt resume.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
17 SGT 6spd. Pulls like stink, def need higher redline. Using Aux in and EQ on the phone the Bose system pounds pretty hard, at least enough till i start working on my system. My really onlky complaint is that of all the nannies you can turn off, SBS isnt one that stays disabled when you turn the car off. I put 1" wheels spacers on and it made a huge difference. Now i need other susp upgrades.

Hate the USB interface, too clunky and doesnt resume.
Great input, thanks! Can you explain a bit more about the wheel spacers?

·
Super Moderator
4,900 Posts
All the spacers do is push the wheels outboard from the hub. They are mostly cosmetic, a cheap way of getting a wider look without buying properly fitted rims. However, if you use spacers that are real long, you can get some unwanted results. When you start changing the wheel offset you change the scrub radius. Changing the scrub radius results in bump steer, heavier steering feel and a degradation in steering response. A few mm spacing won't hurt, but going upwards from there you'll start to see a difference. Once you get towards 10 or so mm you may need longer lugs or bolt on spacer adapters as you'll start to lose thread engagement. These adapters can be problematic too, as they can produce wheel shimmy at speed due to improper balancing, being slightly out of round, not square with the hub or not perfectly hub-centric. Longer spacers can also put undue stresses on wheel hub bearings, causing them to fail prematurely.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All the spacers do is push the wheels outboard from the hub. They are mostly cosmetic, a cheap way of getting a wider look without buying properly fitted rims. However, if you use spacers that are real long, you can get some unwanted results. When you start changing the wheel offset you change the scrub radius. Changing the scrub radius results in bump steer, heavier steering feel and a degradation in steering response. A few mm spacing won't hurt, but going upwards from there you'll start to see a difference. Once you get towards 10 or so mm you may need longer lugs or bolt on spacer adapters as you'll start to lose thread engagement. These adapters can be problematic too, as they can produce wheel shimmy at speed due to improper balancing, being slightly out of round, not square with the hub or not perfectly hub-centric. Longer spacers can also put undue stresses on wheel hub bearings, causing them to fail prematurely.
The reason I asked is because of concerns like this, albeit in not so much detail...good stuff to know! I was also wondering what improvements could be gained as was alluded in the original post?

·
Banned
452 Posts
He forgot to mention, a wider track too. Car handles a bit better with 2" more of wheel space under it. Nothing he mentioned negative wise has happened, steering is fine and actually crisper, car feels like it wants to rotate faster on axis vs being front or rear heavy.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He forgot to mention, a wider track too. Car handles a bit better with 2" more of wheel space under it. Nothing he mentioned negative wise has happened, steering is fine and actually crisper, car feels like it wants to rotate faster on axis vs being front or rear heavy.
Okay, thanks. That's what I was wondering.

·
Super Moderator
4,900 Posts
The thing here is wider is not always better.....especially when you use spacers to get it. If you want wider, get proper wheels. Some race cars use spacers, but they are very expensive parts and use rims with proper offsets to correct the steering geometry.
Steering feels different because its now a bit stiffer as the scrub radius is changed, so it feels like its crisper, different things there. In changing the scrub radius the steering might feel better but its probably not really as good as before.
As for the perceived "rotation" thing, changing the track width changes the roll centers and reduces the weight transfer to the outside tires. It also changes the mechanics of the springs, as the tires are now further from them and the lever arm is longer making the springs feel softer. This will change how the car handles. You might see a bit less tendency to push, so the steering might feel quicker to respond. Also, because the body has a bit more tendency to roll because of the longer lever arms, it feels like its responding quicker. As weight transfer is reduced, cornering ability may be a bit less too. So, if you get into a corner a bit hot, you could experience a bit of snap oversteer is the car isn't set up right.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Spacers also push the edge of the wheel/tire package out from behind the bodywork and into the wind stream where it creates turbulence. Not good for fuel economy. And there is a greater tendency to throw dirt, water and road debris up behind the wheel arches.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts