2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I threw together a design for a rear sway bar today. I'm curious if this is something a lot of people are considering? Right now I'm on the fence between a chromoly tube w/ welded ends vs. a splined steel bar with adjustable ends. Never know when somebody's going to want to go out to the raceway on a Saturday night and play roundy-round with their 3 ;-)

If I went with the simple weld-up design we could probably keep the price point pretty reasonable. If I could do one for $169 w/o endlinks I think that would be a pretty reasonable price. Once I get the design out of the 'roughed out' phase I will share some screenshots from the CAD program.

Thoughts?

Jason
P.S. More design discussions to come in this thread.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I like it, but when you say 'tube' are you talking hollow? i'm all about keeping my car on a budget, but how would the tube hold up to some hard flogging? i'd almost rather have a solid piece of barstock and pay more. now, that being adjustable...dunno if that's really NEEDED...maybe make 2 versions. a street (non-adj.) and a race (adj.)

*cold air box*

·
Registered
607 Posts
Intake box for sure (CS intake will be ordered from Overseas later on this month) Apparently you're out of stock on stuff till the third week anyway. so OS told me)

and Id be down for a RSB. not front.

Would the Swaybar be painted or powdercoated?

·
Token Fiero Owner
375 Posts
i managed to pop my fiero's rsb off of the driver side control arm. dunno how, as it was still secured to the frame in 2 places and the other control arm. doesnt really have any bearing to the OP but I felt like sharing it anyway. I think I'd be more interested in the cold air box, and some headers :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
definetely love some sway bars...probably not the adj kind......as much bolt on stuff as possible....
Headers for sure, some nice ones

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I would say make an adjustable rsb for 2 reasons.

1. People can always swap out the Speed 3 sway bar if they want something a little better!

2. With an adjustable people can get the car the way they want in one fail swoop, street one day, track the next. I think about what some people were complaining about the motor mounts, too hard for a daily drive but good for the track!!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would say make an adjustable rsb for 2 reasons.

1. People can always swap out the Speed 3 sway bar if they want something a little better!

2. With an adjustable people can get the car the way they want in one fail swoop, street one day, track the next. I think about what some people were complaining about the motor mounts, too hard for a daily drive but good for the track!!!
the adj. swaybar tends to be more of a race application. they're usually easily adjustable, but can be difficult to match both sides equally unless you know what you're doing. the kind that corksport is talking about (correct me if i'm wrong) is where you'd have to unbolt both sides, rotate the bar and bolt it back together.

on this style it can be more difficult:

That's off of the GrassRoots Motorsports Mini Cooper

·
Registered
732 Posts
would be interested in a nice and easy bolt on RSB

·
2010 MS3
244 Posts
the adj. swaybar tends to be more of a race application. they're usually easily adjustable, but can be difficult to match both sides equally unless you know what you're doing. the kind that corksport is talking about (correct me if i'm wrong) is where you'd have to unbolt both sides, rotate the bar and bolt it back together.

Ouch, that seems like it would be a pain in the butt for a daily driver (for someone who doesn't race periodically)...

·
Registered
856 Posts
I am in the market for a RSB. I am very interested as I have Koni yellows on order and Pro Kit sitting at home, all I need is the RSB.

There is nothing out as far as I know for the 2010 and am considering the RB and the tri-point. I would prefer something like the tri-point where I can adjust it to different settings by bolting to different holes until I find something comfortable, but not adjustable on a sliding scale like above.

Tri-point sells theirs for over $200 and RB is $160 or so. I think a good quality bar for $200 would be a good price.

·
Parts test dummy
823 Posts
I would want the fully adjustable one, I might never use fully but if I do Ill be glad I got it instead of a standard non adjustable.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Sorry, but I meant an adjustable rsb like the tri-point that has three spots to choose from, not something that is 100% adjustable!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Although a single non adjustable bar would be fairly cheap, I think most folks would just try to find a take off Speed3 bar to install.
A 3 way adjustable bar will fill the wants of both the regular 3 guys and the Speed 3 guys. 1st slot maybe just a hair stiffer than the Speed3 is now for the regular 3 drivers in daily use.
Is it true what I read elsewhere?
Stock 3 is 230lb sq in (2004-20??)
Stock 3s is ? ? ? (2010)
Speed3 is 470lb sq in

Oh yea, how about that air box?????

·
Registered
28 Posts
A three way adjustable would be ideal most street/ track cars dont need a fully adjustable sway bar as most people wont get it right.

And as for this air box idea every one is mentioning it would be a good idea I have noticed a lot of water under the hood of my 2010 on rainy days this makes me a little aprehensive about installing a short ram I think the filter would be wet all the time.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
The only problem with an adjustable bar is that the endlinks are moved from the optimal center position when you adjust them either all the way soft or all the way hard. I'd think this would lead to either binding of the endlinks or buckling of the brackets.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I get my car the first things I will do is go with a bigger rear bar, and toss the awful tires that they use to protect the rims during shipping.:yes:

The only problem with an adjustable bar is that the endlinks are moved from the optimal center position when you adjust them either all the way soft or all the way hard. I'd think this would lead to either binding of the endlinks or buckling of the brackets.
I have a bar similar to this on our Mini, and in three years of use (and adjustments) there's been no problems with the bracketry or the endlinks.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I just looked at Tripoints bar and the holes are pretty close together. So it probably wouldn't cause an issue.
I thought they were spaced farther apart.

·
Registered
471 Posts
but their bar is over $200. i guess i'm just stingy but that's pretty damn pricey for those of us who won't be whipping their 3 around the x-cross track, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts