2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I've noticed after the heat came to my country that to get my interior to cool down when it's really hot the A/C needs to blow full force, even on 17 celcius setting. On other cars i've driven with similiar temperature outside (~25 celcius) they'd get the fan blowing at level 2-3 (which is considerably quieter) and blowing much, much cooler air.

Someone from my country actually did some tests and he got 9-11 celsius air coming out of the vents. With a bit older car (CX-5) that he got when he filed a complaint he actually got 4-6 celsius - which basically allows you to tune down the fans while keeping yourself cool.

Did anyone conduct such tests? Any official info that I can refer to when filing a complain myself? I really didn't feel it until now because i bought the car around October and it's literally first hot week around here since I got the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What year is your model? Build date? I'm in the U.S. Georgia to be specific and it's hot and humid here. I have 2020 Mazda Preferred. Build date Feb 2020. outside temp is around 90deg (32 celsius)My AC blows very cold at AC 65 deg (18 celsius) with only a 2 or 3 bar settings. The only thing weird with mine is if I accelerate hard, the AC isn't as cold until I stop hard acceleration. it's still cold, but not as cold during hard acceleration. it returns to normal after few sections of normal driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there, I've had the same problem using the AUTO climate control as well. The computer 'logic' seems to be rather a miss and confused. I've had it back to the dealer twice now for a supposive firmware update twice for climate control, and while it is a little better, it's certinally not working as it should or fixed in my opinion. I"m going to be speaking to my dealer again to see if Mazda have released any further fixes for this as my last firmware update for this was back in February this year.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Same problem with using the Auto function.....it's considered normal by my Mazda dealership when I took in for service and recalls. Basically said I'm not wrong, but they all do it, and its not a saftey or performance issue so nothing we can do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What year is your model? Build date? I'm in the U.S. Georgia to be specific and it's hot and humid here. I have 2020 Mazda Preferred. Build date Feb 2020. outside temp is around 90deg (32 celsius)My AC blows very cold at AC 65 deg (18 celsius) with only a 2 or 3 bar settings. The only thing weird with mine is if I accelerate hard, the AC isn't as cold until I stop hard acceleration. it's still cold, but not as cold during hard acceleration. it returns to normal after few sections of normal driving.
its 2019, from August I believe (the very very first skyactiv-x batch).

I've had the same problem using the AUTO climate control as well.
Same problem with using the Auto function
I have never owned a new car so this AC is still better than my previous car - but, did you ever compare to another car? Isn't the mazda one kind of less cold than the rest?
I'm asking that because i today tried to turn off auto and just manually set the climate contorl, and had to set it to LO to get reasonable cold without having to blow the AC fan at 100% speed

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've owned I believe 8 vehicles with Auto feature, all but this Mazda 3 were set at 70°-72°F. My house and towers at work I also keep at 70°-72°F. My Mazda I have to keep at 62°-64°F to feel like 70°-72°F. I was kind of annoyed when told this is normal and nothing we can do. They said Auto is more of a convenience and A/C still performs fine in other modes on high.

·
Registered
19 Posts
its 2019, from August I believe (the very very first skyactiv-x batch).

I have never owned a new car so this AC is still better than my previous car - but, did you ever compare to another car? Isn't the mazda one kind of less cold than the rest?
I'm asking that because i today tried to turn off auto and just manually set the climate contorl, and had to set it to LO to get reasonable cold without having to blow the AC fan at 100% speed
I have a 2014 Mazda 6 and now a 2020 Mazda 3. Both on Auto is full blast and never seems to settle down. I guess this is a Mazda thing. I test drove another 2020 Mazda 3 select model before I bought mine and the AC auto did the same thing. Full Blast. Both cars and the test car AC performed as expected without auto enabled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is actually my case that the OP is referring to. The car is a 2019 Mazda 3 Skyactiv-G 2.0 122 hp which I bought back in September 2019. I can confirm that the A/C performance in this car is very bad. But, as opposed to some suggestions here, I do not believe this is due to how the AUTO mode performs or due to the computer logic in general. I simply am unable to get air blowing out of vents that is colder than approx. 9 degrees celsius (approx. 48 degrees F) irrespective of the settings I use. In other words, it does not matter if I choose AUTO or not, set the temp. to "LO" or set a specific desired temperature and also it does not matter if I choose open or closed circuit.

Of course, one must understand that on a hot day, if you set the temperature on the knob to say 70 degrees F, the car needs to blow air out the vents that is much colder than 70 degrees F in order to achieve the desired temperature of 70 degrees within the cabin. The setting on the knob does not represent the temperature you want to get coming out of the vents, but the desired temperature in the cabin.

After I reported the issue to my dealer, they updated the software and claimed that the A/C system is fine, which leads me to believe that this A/C is simply not good enough - it is not a failure, but more a limitation of the system itself.

The CX-5 loaner I got was brand new, I was actually the very first user, and when I checked it could easily get me air of 40 degrees F or even colder coming out of the vents - this was on the exact same day my M3 couldn't do better than 48-52 degrees F. Also, the CX-5 would give me a very steady temperature of the air irrespective of the driving, whereas the M3 starts to blow much warmer air when you press the gas hard.

It may not seem as much of a difference but on a hot day, the actual difference is huge - my car needs to blow the A/C full power for quite a long time before I even start getting a bit comfortable. When it gets really hot, with 48-52 degrees F coming out of the vents it will simply be unable to cool the inside of the car enough.

I don't think this issue concerns my car only, as I had the same feeling when I test drove a 2019 M3 before buying it. But it could be that the issue is more local (e.g. EU) than global. Maybe it depends on the refrigerant used in the system, who knows.

Also, just for the sake of clarity, OP mentioned that "when it's really hot the A/C needs to blow full force, even on 17 celcius setting.". I believe it is to be expected that the lower temperature you set, the more force of the air blow you will get - at least for the first few moments, as the car will aim to achieve the desired temperature within the cabin as soon as possible and this is best done by pumping as much cold air into the cabin as possible.
This by itself does not signal a problem.

The problem is that on a hot day, in AUTO mode even if you set a temperature of approx. 20-22 degrees celsius, which is hardly freezing, the car needs to constantly blow full or nearly full force in order to try to achieve this temperature within the cabin. At such a setting, the air coming out of the vents is simply not cold enough for the car to be able to lower the blow force. Switching to manual mode and lowering the air blow force will not help to achieve a lower temperature either (if anything, it will likely do the opposite). It will merely mean that you get more sound comfort. It all comes down to the primary issue - that on hot days the air coming out of the vents will not be cold enough to achieve thermal comfort due to a weak HVAC system, which you cannot fix by changing its settings.

What's more, below some break point setting it will not matter if you choose a temperature exactly at this break point or lower, as any temperature below it will simply be beyond the car's reach on a very hot day. For example, it will not matter if you choose 18 or 16 degrees C, as both settings will lead to the car blowing full blast of coldish air in your face all the time and still not achieving the desired temperature. Hence, in AUTO mode the car will never lower the blow force, as it will continue to try to achieve the impossible.

I would appreciate it if other users could check and share the lowest temperature of the air they can achieve coming out of the vents. Let's see the scale of the issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just a while ago I have checked the temperature of the A/C (in auto mode).

Outside temp = 30℃ (86℉) / sunny.

The temperature from the vents on the "low" setting = 12℃ (53℉), fan speed goes to max
The temperature from the vents on the "19℃" (66℉) setting = 8,5℃ (47℉), fan speed is around 3 bars

The temperature on the passengers front seat when the "low" setting is applied = 23,5 ℃ (74℉)
The temperature on the passengers front seat when the "19℃" (66℉) setting is applied= 23,5 ℃ (74℉)

Conclusion: the A/C has a mind of its own.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@arek_4k, thank you for your input.

To be honest, I'm not sure if this is an anomaly. It is to be expected that if you lower the fan speed, you will get colder air coming out of the vents. Hence the 8,5℃ - 12℃ difference, depending on the fan speed. The final result is still the same though - either you get lots of 12℃ air getting into the cabin, or less but colder 8,5℃ air, both of which will give you the same result. A result which is by no means acceptable, at least not as something which is the best your car can achieve.

You should be able to get 4-6℃ celsius coming out of the vents and only at this point could the A/C system be considered effective. 8.5-12℃ celsius is below par and something which is a shame for a car of this class.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@arek_4k, thank you for your input.
both of which will give you the same result.
Well for me it's good to know as I'd rather have low noise fan blowing 8.5C if that's the most my car can do (versus max fan mode making the whole cabin super noisy). Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all!
I've noticed after the heat came to my country that to get my interior to cool down when it's really hot the A/C needs to blow full force, even on 17 celcius setting. On other cars i've driven with similiar temperature outside (~25 celcius) they'd get the fan blowing at level 2-3 (which is considerably quieter) and blowing much, much cooler air.

Someone from my country actually did some tests and he got 9-11 celsius air coming out of the vents. With a bit older car (CX-5) that he got when he filed a complaint he actually got 4-6 celsius - which basically allows you to tune down the fans while keeping yourself cool.

Did anyone conduct such tests? Any official info that I can refer to when filing a complain myself? I really didn't feel it until now because i bought the car around October and it's literally first hot week around here since I got the car.

I live in the US and my experience was in cold weather but I will share my comment and hope it helps in some way.

It seems this is a common issue with Mazda Automatic Climate Control. When I purchased my 2019 Mazda 3 (new) in January 2020 (cold weather), I had a major issue where the AC would blow out hot air to warm the interior up before it stabilized. The volume of hot air was stifling. Having had many cars before I knew this was not normal. I took to the dealer and they didn't seem to know what I'm talking about or understand the problem. It was only after weeks of researching and emailing Mazda Head office that I came across a service bulletin that identified and offered a solution to the problem I had. When I contact the Mazda dealer they said this service bulletin may not specifically apply to my car so I printed the bulletin and took the print out into the dealer to have the repair done. They did the software update specified and the problem has been non-existent ever since. This may not specifically apply to your vehicle but hope this info can help. The service bulletin I found online after googling Mada AC Blowing Hot Air was: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165346-0001.pdf

This was the bulletin that solved the issue in my 2019 Mazda 3.

Best of luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts