2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed towards the end of the summer that my A/C wasn't really keeping up. Takes a long time to cool the car down.

Airflow seems ok, this car never had wonderful airflow though. Filter is new and has been checked, so no issue there. I can hear the fans starting up, no unusual noises.

I figure check condensate drain line, belt and mag clutch working right. What els should I look at?

Please keep in mind that where I live there are strict laws about working on A/C systems. I can only go so far with this.

Any way I can look for a small leak? I have my suspicions about what is going on....year ago as some of you might remember I hit a large animal on the highway. That took out the front bumper, condenser and rad. It was fixed by insurance, but the shop was a total hack job. I'm suspecting that they torqued the shit out of the fittings. Hard for me to confirm though.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. This is about what I can be checking myself before handing it off to the shop and getting insurance involved.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wouldn't cost much to have it checked at Autozone or somewhere like that I would think. And there's a high likelihood that's what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok you're missing the point of this post. I'm well aware that I can go to a shop. I'm asking what I can check myself BEFORE going to a shop with minimal tools.

If the only help you have to offer is 'go toba shop' just please move along. It's not helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds to me that you need to re-gas. You will most likely need to bite thee bullet and take it to the shop.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're probably right, but I'd like to eliminate other possibilities. Due to our laws they can't just regas here. They have to find the leak and fix it. Get expensive fast.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok you're missing the point of this post. I'm well aware that I can go to a shop. I'm asking what I can check myself BEFORE going to a shop with minimal tools.

If the only help you have to offer is 'go toba shop' just please move along. It's not helpful.
I understand perfectly well what you're trying to do. Just seems to me like you're wasting time while overlooking the most obvious possible cause. Maybe this will be of some help: https://www.autozone.com/diy/climate-control/diagnosing-car-ac-problems
BTW Zero, you've got a real way with words.😕

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand perfectly well what you're trying to do. Just seems to me like you're wasting time while overlooking the most obvious possible cause. Maybe this will be of some help: https://www.autozone.com/diy/climate-control/diagnosing-car-ac-problems
BTW Zero, you've got a real way with words.😕
I'm not trying to offend you, sorry if I have. However, I've noticed that at times when someone asks a question on how to fix or diagnose something they're given the response of 'just take it to a shop'. I don't believe that should ever be a response on forums like these. The spirit of car forums is to learn how to do new things. Taking it to a shop doesn't teach anything.

So yeah I just felt like that was the response I was getting. If I am at the point of there being no other option, I'm quite happy to do so.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you haven't taken any HVAC classes, or even been home schooled in HVAC, then there isn't much you can do to check to see what is wrong with an AC system. You checked the air flow, which was a good idea. Putting AC gauges on and checking the pressures is next.

·
Super Moderator
665 Posts
Is it blowing cold but weak airflow, or good airflow but not cold enough?

Go to walmart or big lots and get some freon that comes with the refill and check gauge. Pretty cheap. Check the level and add some if needed.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
280 Posts
My First thought ... AC delete and add about 10WHP ...lol
This is something to be expected with older cars .. compressor efficiency or just slow normal loss of refrigerant .
and that i will have to deal with in the near future. I too have seen the AC take a while to cool things down.
I would think a non dealership shop should be able to tap in and check whats there and determine whats going on.

·
Super Moderator
5,457 Posts
Seems to me there was a TSB on this, something about the mix door not working right. If the door is allowing heat in with the A/C, the air won't be as cold as it should be. There was few threads on this a while back.....

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Go to walmart or big lots and get some freon that comes with the refill and check gauge. Pretty cheap. Check the level and add some if needed.
Thanks for reading before responding. I've already made very clear the environmental laws where I live.

If you haven't taken any HVAC classes, or even been home schooled in HVAC, then there isn't much you can do to check to see what is wrong with an AC system. You checked the air flow, which was a good idea. Putting AC gauges on and checking the pressures is next.
I've heard the 'you can't do that you're not a professional!' so many times I've lost count. I've also proved it wrong every time. The issue is that getting the special tools such as the compressor is virtually impossible here due to the already mentioned laws.

My First thought ... AC delete and add about 10WHP ...lol
This is something to be expected with older cars .. compressor efficiency or just slow normal loss of refrigerant .
and that i will have to deal with in the near future. I too have seen the AC take a while to cool things down.
I would think a non dealership shop should be able to tap in and check whats there and determine whats going on.
You could be right in that it is coincidental. Maybe this is a recent issue and I'm just jumping to conclusions on the previous work done. Still 5 years old and getting refilled last year with a new condenser.... suspicious at best.

I will probably seek out an independent shop. Not sure I trust my local dealer either.

Seems to me there was a TSB on this, something about the mix door not working right. If the door is allowing heat in with the A/C, the air won't be as cold as it should be. There was few threads on this a while back.....
Pretty sure I know what one you're talking about, and yes I've had that happen twice. It's certainly worth a check again and I think I will so that, thank you. In the past it did cause the knob to bind up and not go all the way to the max AC but maybe it's jumped the track in the opposite direction. Worth a look.

At this point, I think you should just lock this thread. So far only your response has been of any real assistance. I don't expect to get much more out of this one.

·
Super Moderator
665 Posts
Thanks for reading before responding. I've already made very clear the environmental laws where I live.
Drop the sarcasm. People are trying to help. You said you have strict laws. You didn't specify details in your starting post. Does the law prohibit you from checking the freon level? Does it prohibit you from recharging? Are there special instructions about dumping? I don't know where you live. I don't know your laws.

You asked what to check. I answered your question and told you get a gauge and check the level. If you're prohibited from that, just say so.

·
Super Moderator
5,457 Posts
Pretty sure I know what one you're talking about, and yes I've had that happen twice. It's certainly worth a check again and I think I will so that, thank you. In the past it did cause the knob to bind up and not go all the way to the max AC but maybe it's jumped the track in the opposite direction. Worth a look.

At this point, I think you should just lock this thread. So far only your response has been of any real assistance. I don't expect to get much more out of this one.
10-4, locked as requested.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.