2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a spirited test drive of a 2021 Mazda 3 Turbo and after arriving back to the dealer I told the salesman that there was some smoke coming from under the hood. Hood was opened and there was smoke and burning oil smell coming from the turbocharger. Not a good sign on a brand new car. What happened here? (The salesman didn't
Know what to say)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Absolutely. I think the possible reliability of the new turbo is a valid concern. You could wait 10 months for the 2022s to see if that concern is justified. Or you could go by the lack of smoking engine reports here. At a minimum it would be safe to say it's not likely a design defect since there's no shortage of spirited drivers on this forum. Probably just a fluke.

·
Registered
104 Posts
if it's the same turbo being used in the 6, CX5, CX9, do they have a good track record of reliability?

·
Super Moderator
5,847 Posts
Absolutely. I think the possible reliability of the new turbo is a valid concern. You could wait 10 months for the 2022s to see if that concern is justified. Or you could go by the lack of smoking engine reports here. At a minimum it would be safe to say it's not likely a design defect since there's no shortage of spirited drivers on this forum. Probably just a fluke.
This turbo design is nothing new. Its been around for a while in a few different cars and there doesn't seem to be any real issues with it. I wouldn't worry about it. Most likely an isolated incident, and without knowing the actual source of the problem there is no way to draw any sort of conclusions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took a spirited test drive of a 2021 Mazda 3 Turbo and after arriving back to the dealer I told the salesman that there was some smoke coming from under the hood. Hood was opened and there was smoke and burning oil smell coming from the turbocharger. Not a good sign on a brand new car. What happened here? (The salesman didn't
Know what to say)
As an aside, how quickly did the transmission shift in Sport mode? And in Regular mode? It looks kinda lazy in the review videos on Youtube.

·
Registered
6 Posts
All new cars have factory residue that will burn off the first few drives. Its completely normal.
Most people don't notice because most new owners tend to take it easy for the first few days.

·
Registered
315 Posts
All new cars have factory residue that will burn off the first few drives. Its completely normal.
Most people don't notice because most new owners tend to take it easy for the first few days.
in my case the car was "delivered" from 100 miles away.

not on a car trailer, someone from the dealership travelled to the other dealer and drove it back.

Good thing I am ok with a hard break in. I cannot imagine that employee drove my car on the thruway at 55mph...

·
Registered
297 Posts
in my case the car was "delivered" from 100 miles away.

not on a car trailer, someone from the dealership travelled to the other dealer and drove it back.

Good thing I am ok with a hard break in. I cannot imagine that employee drove my car on the thruway at 55mph...
Same delivery situation here. Came with a nice roof dent and cut on the leather. And less of a deal since I'm sure the delivery makes the dealer feel extra special for hooking you up. Clearly I'm still a little salty about it, though the dealer did reimburse me the $350 for the dent repair.

I may start doing factory orders from now on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts