2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this morning about an 80mm Corksport exhaust in their blog, the blog mentioned turbo kit and race headers in the works. My question Is it better then the 60.5 exhaust for the future turbo. I don't want the exhaust to be too loud with a 80mm..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,491 Posts
Kind of expensive for what it is... $1,000 for a cat-back system? They are advertising the same HP increase for it as their other exhausts too... 5-7 whp on an OBDII...

I wouldn't hold your breath for a Gen 3 turbo to be released either...

They've been teasing about that project since August of 2017 and haven't released anything, I mean absolutely nothing, since announcing the project...just lots of "Stay tuned..." responses. No prototypes or mock-up of parts in the works...not sure if they partnered with a company for the tune package it will require...No idea of pricing or added components needed...just... nothing.
CK

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,276 Posts
Also, NA Mazda skyactive engine have a weaker head gasket 13:1 87 octane vs UK versions 14:1 with beefier ones 2.2D / 2.0L 165hp 91 octane

·
Registered
606 Posts
Also, NA Mazda skyactive engine have a weaker head gasket 13:1 87 octane vs UK versions 14:1 with beefier ones 2.2D / 2.0L 165hp 91 octane
Corksport only mentioned that they were working on a turbo for the skyactiv 2.5L, which makes all variants of the skyactiv 2.0L not very relevant. For the 2.5L, I remember hearing a while back that the 2.5L would be weaker for boost than the 2.0L, when considering the proportion of some of the internals in the 2.5 vs. 2.0 (rods from what I remember).

As for the skyactiv 2.0L, there have be tons of customers running boost on the Miata ND1 (2016-18; 13:1 compression 2.0L in North America and rest of world), with no reports of blown head gaskets or bent rods, assuming boost is kept at a reasonable level (usually under 10 psi with ordinary pump gas). There are plenty of kits out for the Miata skyactiv, including the Edlebrock supercharger, BBR turbo, AVO turbo, Turbosource turbo, and soon to be JDL turbo. The real challenge in applying boost to any Mazda skyactiv is tuning the ECU. All the available kits have been tuned with ECUtek registered tuners who use the ECUtek software platform that has unique speed density maps to calculate MAF, thereby overcoming the limitations hard-coded by Mazda into skyactiv ECUs. Unfortunately, other tuning software has not been able to effectively overcome these limitation which result in throttle cutting during WOT in boost. However, Ecutek only supports Miata skyactiv ECU's thus far, with no plans to support Mazda 3, 6 or any other skyactiv platform (been requested by tuners and potential customers multiple times). So this tuning challenge is likely why Corksport has not come up with a skyactiv turbo product. Note that Corksport has stated that they wish to stay out of tuning, so they would have to get it outsourced... To my knowledge, only OVT has been able to effectively tune a boosted skyactiv ECU without ECUtek, but they are pretty much out of that game now.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,491 Posts
Yeah...Corksport makes some weird choices with their offerings and announcements...Why would they purposefully take themselves out of the only method to increase HP in the Gen 3's?

It makes absolutely no sense.. and now they can't get their turbo project off of the ground because they have no tuning capabilities or data to support it... I might as well announce I'm building a spaceship that can travel to Mars and back in a couple days... Stay tuned...
CK

Reactions: Gabriel Escobedo

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm curious how loud the 80mm exhaust actually is. It's always hard to tell from videos. I really do like that exhaust note though, but I still want to have a conversation with friends while cruising down the highway.

As for the turbo, I think they had posted to social media back in like April '18 that they had an engineering sample delivered for the turbo kit. Exhaust headers are a new development though. I bet the practical tests didn't quite go as planned, so they had to go back and rework a lot of their design. I'm going to bet we'll see a blog reveal in about a year.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,276 Posts
I'm curious how loud the 80mm exhaust actually is. It's always hard to tell from videos. I really do like that exhaust note though, but I still want to have a conversation with friends while cruising down the highway.

As for the turbo, I think they had posted to social media back in like April '18 that they had an engineering sample delivered for the turbo kit. Exhaust headers are a new development though. I bet the practical tests didn't quite go as planned, so they had to go back and rework a lot of their design. I'm going to bet we'll see a blog reveal in about a year.
Back in 2015 the Mazda MX-5 had some headers manufactured from Taiwan --> Racing beat.

·
Super Moderator
6,217 Posts
Back in 2015 the Mazda MX-5 had some headers manufactured from Taiwan --> Racing beat.
Those RB headers fit the 3rd gen MX-5 with the 2.0 MZR motor, not 4th gen Skyactiv cars. Nobody has managed so far to produce a header that makes any sort of real gains over the OEM Mazda 3 design...... including CorkSport apparently.......:dunno:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Will the new 80mm exhaust work with the previous catback for the 3rd gen?
I have the previous catback but looking to see if the new 80mm axleback fits it or not.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Has anyone installed this yet? Does it really sound better/louder than the original catback? Video sound clips dont always translate that well...

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,491 Posts
Will the new 80mm exhaust work with the previous catback for the 3rd gen?
I have the previous catback but looking to see if the new 80mm axleback fits it or not.
They answered that in their blog. No. It doesn't. They are not selling it as an axle-back either.

Cat-back only.
CK

·
Super Moderator
6,217 Posts
Yeah...Corksport makes some weird choices with their offerings and announcements...Why would they purposefully take themselves out of the only method to increase HP in the Gen 3's?

It makes absolutely no sense.. and now they can't get their turbo project off of the ground because they have no tuning capabilities or data to support it... I might as well announce I'm building a spaceship that can travel to Mars and back in a couple days... Stay tuned...
CK

No details yet but there is something thats closer to becoming reality than anything else. A fully functioning example is being tested right now, and a Mazda 3 SA-G version is in the works. If it pans out a lot of folks will be very happy. :smile2:

·
Registered
72 Posts
No details yet but there is something thats closer to becoming reality than anything else. A fully functioning example is being tested right now, and a Mazda 3 SA-G version is in the works. If it pans out a lot of folks will be very happy. :smile2:
More Vapor-ware. Got it.

·
Super Moderator
6,217 Posts
No, its being developed by a well known name in the tuning business that has been doing Skyactive cars since the motor was introduced. Software solutions are not a problem, its just a matter of putting it all together and making it work.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,491 Posts
I posted this rumour on CS's blog page for their turbo build.

Derrick Ambrose responded saying the upgraded clutch they have that was supposed to fit..doesn't..they are looking for an alternative or fabbing one up. They will then get back to dyno and tuning.
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,491 Posts
Both responses show that we are getting close to a real production turbo kit, which is very exciting..to say the least.

I forgot to mention..CS plans to release a 2.0L turbo kit after they have finished the 2.5L version.
CK

1 - 20 of 26 Posts