2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to buy a MT touring without a sunroof? Are the upgrades from the Sport trim (LEDs, 2.5L, and the safety stuff) worth taking the sunroof I don't want?

Looking to replace a ZQ8 S10 (lowered, sport suspension) as my daily, so I just want better mpg and still fun to drive. I am currently leaning toward a Sport hatch in Crystal Blue Mica, black cloth.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't know for sure if you can get it without the sunroof. I have the grand touring model, and I LOVE the LED headlights. I also like the safety and tech stuff that is included. It took me a little bit to get used to it all though. Like a month or 2. I came from a 20-year-old Honda Civic with hardly any tech compared to new cars these days. I had a sunroof in my Civic and I thought I would try not to get one when I decided to get a new car, but it was tough to find a car that I wanted that didn't come with the sunroof.

I know some people aren't thrilled with some of the safety stuff. I like it now that I am used to it, and I think it makes driving in rush hour traffic a little less stressful for me. What drew me to the LED headlights was the fact that I shouldn't have to ever replace them. My wife's car made me hate changing headlight bulbs. You are supposed to remove the front wheel on the side of the car with the burned out light and pull back the plastic in the wheel well to get to the bulbs. Also, I think the only bulbs that you might need to worry about on the outside of the car are the turn signals. They should go bad very often. The car does beep at you a little bit more with all of the safety stuff, but you can manage most (if not all) of it through the settings in the car and you can turn a lot of it off if you don't want to use it. Although, if you are going to pay for it, you should probably use it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
With the 2018's, you can get the Touring trim without the sunroof, but it will be harder to find. The sunroof comes packaged with the upgraded Bose sound system in a $1500 package.

Reactions: Road Trip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have talk to my dealer. I thought the manual trans was going to require the $1500 package. If not, I will probably get a Touring over the Sport. I can live with leatherette, but don't really want a hole in the roof of my car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I will have talk to my dealer. I thought the manual trans was going to require the $1500 package. If not, I will probably get a Touring over the Sport. I can live with leatherette, but don't really want a hole in the roof of my car.
I got a 2017 Touring hatchback specifically for the 2.5L. I wanted a manual hatchback... and the 155hp 2.0 wasn't going to cut it for me. I also did not want the sunroof (I have a fear of it leaking/breaking from past experiences), but I have it. I will say that I do use the sunroof... and I like it!

·
'18 M3HGTP Eternal Blue
77 Posts
Another here who would have rather NO sunroof... the car being replaced is a 2001 Jetta with sunroof and we can no longer use touchless car-washes as it leaks like crazy (under that pressure, never from rain). We simply never use the dang thing either, and at 6'4" I'd prefer the extra inch or headroom.

I have the grand touring model, and I LOVE the LED headlights. I also like the safety and tech stuff that is included. It took me a little bit to get used to it all though. Like a month or 2.
Dear lord I hope we get used to our GT. Yesterday was the first commute in it (wife's car), she said the radar cruise control popped up a "canceled" message on the heads-up unit at one point, didn't cancel with the use of the clutch every time, the hill assist didn't work and the "lane keep" beep drove her nuts. She did comment about the LED headlights being much better, and the "auto" feature being nice. Clutch and shifting were going to be different no matter what. We tried using the "voice activated" junk, that's all completely worthless and worthy of Every rant about how bad it is.

But, it's only been 3 days with the car.... at least it looks nice.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I know some people aren't thrilled with some of the safety stuff. I like it now that I am used to it, and I think it makes driving in rush hour traffic a little less stressful for me.
Yup, exactly my experience. The Blind Spot Monitoring especially, I was not real excited about. Now that i've realized it actually works very nicely, and never bothers me, i've come to appreciate and use it, even if it's just one less turn of the head or lean forward for the mirror. Especially since the car's biggest weakness is probably rear quarter visibility.

Backup cam is nice to have of course, and rear cross traffic alert, again once you see it in action a few times i've come to appreciate it. I will say it'll once in awhile give a false positive in a tight parking lot but mostly unobtrusive.

·
Registered
510 Posts
My wife's car made me hate changing headlight bulbs. You are supposed to remove the front wheel on the side of the car with the burned out light and pull back the plastic in the wheel well to get to the bulbs.
not sure what car it is or whether that matters anymore but as per beemer style that i was used to, all you have to do is turn the wheel one direction and replace where the gap is and vice versa for the other side.. don't exactly have to remove the whole wheel...

Reactions: mazda318gt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here in Canada, you cannot get a 2018 with the 2.5L without the sunroof. Based on my test drive, I was not willing to live with the 2.0L. Strangely, though reviews say the 2.5L is not significantly faster to 60mph than the 2.0L, to me, the 2.5L felt significantly sportier. The difference was enough to justify the $3k premium. The LED headlights and sunroof were just gravy.

As far as safety features, the only ones I care about are: Blind Spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Traffic, and rear camera. Those all come with all but the lowest trim.

The biggest headache, I found, was the rarity of 2.5L with 6MT. I could not find one in the color I wanted. I had to settle for second choice, unless I was willing to build one to order (do they actually even do that?). I hear 6MT are even rarer in the US.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Here in Canada, you cannot get a 2018 with the 2.5L without the sunroof. Based on my test drive, I was not willing to live with the 2.0L. Strangely, though reviews say the 2.5L is not significantly faster to 60mph than the 2.0L, to me, the 2.5L felt significantly sportier. The difference was enough to justify the $3k premium. The LED headlights and sunroof were just gravy.

As far as safety features, the only ones I care about are: Blind Spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Traffic, and rear camera. Those all come with all but the lowest trim.

The biggest headache, I found, was the rarity of 2.5L with 6MT. I could not find one in the color I wanted. I had to settle for second choice, unless I was willing to build one to order (do they actually even do that?). I hear 6MT are even rarer in the US.
Our 2017 3 GT hatch was ordered, came exactly the way we wanted — with just paying for the options we wanted, not buying one from dealer stock that had options we did not want.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have a 2017 GT Sport (not hard to tell). I like a sunroof and it's open most often it is not raining or snowing too hard. Must be the biker in me. Turned off lane assist because it beeped at me all the time. Hated it. I wish I could turn off the SBS because that keeps beeping at me and telling me to BRAKE when I don't want to. Can't turn that off permanently. I don't mind the blind spot monitoring and I use that as one more check. Well, every car has its particulars and you don't find those until you have it for a while. Small stuff. I like the car and it's a starting point. Lots to do. What was the original question? Oh yeah, the sunroof. Comes with a package in Canada. You can keep it closed, if you don't want like it. LOL.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Our 2017 3 GT hatch was ordered, came exactly the way we wanted — with just paying for the options we wanted, not buying one from dealer stock that had options we did not want.

Just curious, what percentage of MSRP did you pay? 100? Or were you able to get a good deal? A big reason people don't order is you can (usually) get a better deal off the lot. I bought my 2017 Touring hatchback last year: MSRP: $23,570... got it for $19,930. I got the touring for the 2.5L; the other stuff (sun roof, etc) was not on my must-have list... but I got a good deal on it so I was OK with what I paid.

·
'18 M3HGTP Eternal Blue
77 Posts
Just curious, what percentage of MSRP did you pay? 100?
Good question.

I bought exactly what I wanted... might have gone with a different exterior color if I'd been able to see them all side by side (maybe, the Eternal Blue was a top runner anyway), but it was simply on the lot at the closest dealer. Lucky I guess.

Your deal was 85%, I managed 84% of MSRP. I'd really like to know if ordering killed the different rebates (both factory and dealer) or it's simply time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
not sure what car it is or whether that matters anymore but as per beemer style that i was used to, all you have to do is turn the wheel one direction and replace where the gap is and vice versa for the other side.. don't exactly have to remove the whole wheel...
My wife has a 2005 Accord and I did figure out pretty quickly to turn the wheels to one side or the other, but if I remember right (which I probably am not) the manual leads to you take the wheel off. lol. I know they are written to lead you back to the dealer for most of that stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mazda does not have a lot of factory options. They offer only one or two option packages. So, there is not a whole lot to deal with in an order. But, I have heard that when one orders, it is not a request to have a specific car built on the line. It just means that you are next in line to get a car with that particular spec that comes off the line. I suppose the difference is only semantic, as you would get the car you want in the end, regardless.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good question.

I bought exactly what I wanted... might have gone with a different exterior color if I'd been able to see them all side by side (maybe, the Eternal Blue was a top runner anyway), but it was simply on the lot at the closest dealer. Lucky I guess.

Your deal was 85%, I managed 84% of MSRP. I'd really like to know if ordering killed the different rebates (both factory and dealer) or it's simply time.
I wanted to get the Eternal Blue. But, there wasn't a single EB with 2.5L and 6MT in the entire province. We settled for white.

Surprisingly, I don't see very many EB M3's on the road. It does not seem to be a very popular color. And, unlike in the US, the M3 is a popular car -- I think I read it was the 4th most popular small car in Canada last year. So, there are a LOT of M3's on the road. A TON of white ones! I still don't know if that is because everyone likes white, or because that is all that is available.

The discounts in the US seem to be much better than in Canada. I ended up getting $2500 off MSRP, including incentives (about 10% off). Invoice is about $2800 under MSRP. The suggested target is about 3-4% over invoice.

I would have bought a used one. But, there are not a lot of 2.5L 6MT available. The only one I found was a 2015 in black. And it was less than $5k cheaper than a new one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another here who would have rather NO sunroof... the car being replaced is a 2001 Jetta with sunroof and we can no longer use touchless car-washes as it leaks like crazy (under that pressure, never from rain). We simply never use the dang thing either, and at 6'4" I'd prefer the extra inch or headroom.

Dear lord I hope we get used to our GT. Yesterday was the first commute in it (wife's car), she said the radar cruise control popped up a "canceled" message on the heads-up unit at one point, didn't cancel with the use of the clutch every time, the hill assist didn't work and the "lane keep" beep drove her nuts. She did comment about the LED headlights being much better, and the "auto" feature being nice. Clutch and shifting were going to be different no matter what. We tried using the "voice activated" junk, that's all completely worthless and worthy of Every rant about how bad it is.

But, it's only been 3 days with the car.... at least it looks nice.
I think it took me about 2 weeks to a month to get comfortable with everything. And to trust the blindspot monitoring. For the lane keep, I changed the alert to the steering wheel vibrating. I thought the rumble strip sound you could choose was pretty funny. There is one spot on my way to work where someone drove over the paint on the side of the road and it sets the lane keep off just about every time I drive by it.
I am not very fond of the voice activation either. I don't know that it is much better in any other car though. That tech still has a way to go before it works reliably. It did take me a couple of weeks to get used to the clutch too. It was weird how there was some pressure until the pedal was about halfway down and then my foot would practically slam to the floor. lol. I haven't had any issues with the cruise though. I use that quite a bit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts