2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
zoom~
847 Posts
I have a while until I hit those kind of miles.. My concern is what if any damage is happening to the car?

I typically shift around 2.5k - 3k so I will give this a try and see what happens.

The car is a lease and I have had it for 2 weeks, my odometer reads 1081 miles.. Is changing the tranny fluid really necessary?

Like I said it is a lease so I don't want to mess with the car too much, but maybe I will take a look into adjusting the shifter position.
Aw dang, a lease...

No, you definitely right, no messing with lease car.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have a while until I hit those kind of miles.. My concern is what if any damage is happening to the car?
I highly doubt it. Unless youre grinding gears on purpose there should be nothing to worry about

Everyone else talking about the car jerking that has nothing to do with the transmission. Thats all to do with how you engage the clutch and throttle

·
Registered
779 Posts
It should be mentioned that the drive-by-wire throttle on this car also makes things a little difficult, as what it does, does NOT correspond directly to what your foot does, but rather the computer's interpretation of what is required....
I never thought of this before.

·
Asian Infatuation
71 Posts
More dumb questions, but I just like to know: Does driving with the A/C on always have an impact? I noticed the engine drops a hell of a lot quicker with it on, making shifting on time a tad difficult at slow speeds.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
More dumb questions, but I just like to know: Does driving with the A/C on always have an impact? I noticed the engine drops a hell of a lot quicker with it on, making shifting on time a tad difficult at slow speeds.
Yes having the ac on makes the revs drop faster and smooth shifts harder to come by

·
Asian Infatuation
71 Posts
BTW, it's easier to get a smoother shift if you shift up at higher rpm - like around 3500 - 4000. :yes:
Would that impact MPG (well, duh, I would say to myself)? I'm not to concerned but I never knew if shifting that high was necessary. I usually shift at 3k, and only push higher if the speed limit is high or I'm trying to get around that cable van.

·
Registered
243 Posts
... I never knew if shifting that high was necessary...
Not necessary, but more fun. And yes, it does impact MPG a bit. I am still getting used to the new Mazda 3 and I tend to rev to 3.5K to 4K rpm if I am not paying attention, especially in 2nd and 3rd gear.

If I am in semi-hypermilling mode, I tend to shift up near what the manual says and REALLY watch the current MPG display to control my throttle. A small pressure would cause the mpg to drop 20 or more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I dont know gear grinding that you are talking about.
you are talking about this video??
2011 Camaro SS 2nd Gear Grind - YouTube
in the video, 2nd gear is grinding and sound is very messy.

in my case, i am driving 2012 mazda 3 sky manual.
i noticed that the shifting is very smooth.
but, shifting is very rough especially into 3rd.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Would that impact MPG (well, duh, I would say to myself)? I'm not to concerned but I never knew if shifting that high was necessary. I usually shift at 3k, and only push higher if the speed limit is high or I'm trying to get around that cable van.
When using the AC, the revs do drop a lot faster. I usually turn off the AC while shifting through the first couple gears or just shift a lot higher (above 3k) so that the revs have more room to fall. If you try shifting at low shift points with the AC on, you'll notice that the shifts are pretty jerky.

Your mileage is going to drop just by using the AC anyway, but, yes, shifting later will also decrease mileage a bit (but you'll have smoother shifts and your passengers will thank you).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought I'd chime in on this topic since I bought a '13 i Touring hatch two weeks ago with only 10 miles on it when it left the lot. I haven't noticed any issues with shifting EXCEPT for 1st > 2nd. Periodically it seems to almost grind a little when making that shift. I have to shift 1st>2nd several times each day so it does tend to do it at least once a day although I haven't kept a specific count. I've been driving a manual for about 18 years and, in my past experience, you usually definitely know when you're grinding gears. So that's why I'm a little confused on this one. The feeling almost reminds me of a notchy gear box and grinding gears. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it doesn't seem like past grinding experiences. I think I've got a little over 400 miles on the car so far, so maybe more of a break-in period is required as others have suggested earlier.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My car has 7000 miles on it now, and still chunks once in a while going 1st - 2nd. If the windows are open, I can always hear a nasty noise going 1st - 2nd and then a faint noise going 2nd - 3rd,and then it's smooth. Not too concerned about it though.
I'll probably change to synthetic fluid at 10k and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine also does it.

Can someone help me understand what I would be experiencing if my synchro is bad on one of the gears? When I shift from 3rd into 4th I can feel the shifter "catching" on something about 85% of the time. It's not a grind or anything it's just that it feels as the shifter goes through like another barrier before it goes into gear... What could this be and should I be concerned?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Mine also does it.

Can someone help me understand what I would be experiencing if my synchro is bad on one of the gears? When I shift from 3rd into 4th I can feel the shifter "catching" on something about 85% of the time. It's not a grind or anything it's just that it feels as the shifter goes through like another barrier before it goes into gear... What could this be and should I be concerned?
Youre feeling the shifter detent. Thats completely normal

·
Registered
14 Posts
My car has 7000 miles on it now, and still chunks once in a while going 1st - 2nd. If the windows are open, I can always hear a nasty noise going 1st - 2nd and then a faint noise going 2nd - 3rd,and then it's smooth. Not too concerned about it though.
I'll probably change to synthetic fluid at 10k and see if that makes any difference.
Mine used to not do that but it does it now. I'm at 40k miles on my 2013 but I don't think it's much of an issue. The Speed3 that my friend has a clunking noise in every gear he shifts in but the car runs like a champ.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but how is everyone's transmissions holding up? I just bought a used 13' Mazda 3 Skyactiv 6MT and have been experiencing problems going into first, notchy shifting, slight grinds, and clunks going into gear. I bought it with 10k miles and have it at 14k now. Sometimes the shifting is butter smooth and other times it's clunky and annoying. As I mentioned sometimes it refuses to go into first and I've noticed problems shifting from 3rd to 4th, almost like a soft grinding.

I feel like the motor mounts might be part of the reason for the problems, but I'm not sure. Sooner rather than later I plan on swapping out the factory fluid for some Redline, possible Amsoil, but it is a bit thicker than spec'd fluid. I still am under the bumper to bumper and powertrain warranty, but I'm unsure about whether I'm going to keep the extended warranty the dealership sold me with the car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 2016 3sGT 6-spd with about 3000mi and this is definitely the touchiest transmission I've driven in years. It's notchy as hell when shifting from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. It's hard to achieve perfect shifts in general and I'm no novice, been driving on;y manuals for 30 years. I'm also not crazy about the clutch. It engages way too far out for my taste. I prefer engagement much closer to the floor. I love the 3 overall, but Mazda's Skyactiv manuals simply don't measure up to others I've driven over the years (Civic Si, Golf TDI, etc) or even previous Mazda 3 manuals. Like others have suggested, I'm switching to a synthetic trans fluid when I do my next oil change. I suspect that'll help some.

·
Working Class Hero
3,498 Posts
Hmmm. I can shift mine with my fingertips without any resistance at all. Makes a guy wonder...

I wish I could get a legit shirt shifter for it, though.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts