2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv 6MT with about 15k miles on it. During the course of our time together I have noticed something slightly distressing - when downshifting into 2nd, the engine rev's sometimes will jump unnaturally. I can attempt to speculate about how maybe the ECU has "decided" that more rev's are needed and so the drive-by-wire kick's-in and applies throttle. As such, the car begins to accelerate when I am intending to decelerate...

It usually happens when I am slowing down to approach or enter a curve. I am intentionally dropping into 2nd without adding throttle for the purpose of slight compression braking (nowhere near redline). Obviously the driving dynamics change rapidly when the ECU "decides" to apply throttle on my behalf. Its actually an arguable safety issue. I'm not saying I'm a badass driver or anything, however I do have enough miles booked on a stick (about 25yrs worth) that I can respond without thinking to correct the cars poor "decision". It's startling sometimes, however, and there have been times when this has happened such that, absent a skilled driver response, I think a novice driver could lose control of the vehicle.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? I'm not quite sure what to call the problem, so I apologize if this has been discussed with some keywords I didn't search. Some of you guys really understand things at that level, so I'd like to hear thoughts about whats going on.

·
zoom~
848 Posts
mmmm..

not similar to yours and not skyactive.

my 2010 2.5 6mt will blip throttle when I am slowing down to a stop. I dont know why it does it. Happens when the clutch pedal is depressed and right foot on brake on rare occasions.

edit: and sometimes when I blip downshit from 3rd to 2nd, it does it too... Its like it wants the rev to stay up there a little bit.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Are you rev matching the downshift or dragging the clutch out? I've never experienced this although I rev match the downshifts. On occasion when upshifting into 5th, if I apply throttle too early when shifting it will think I'm wanting a lot of throttle and will accelerate kind of hard until I lift the throttle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts