2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get so excited with this stuff, Yesterday I hit 601.4 miles on a single tank. The computer read 44.0 as I coasted into the gas station. After doing the math with what I put in, mileage came out to 43.75 mpg's. When the pump stops I always fit in an extra gallon to top it off. As you can see I put in 13.744 gallons. I probably had a half gallon still in there but that's getting risky.

The tanks says it holds 13.2 so with an extra gallon there should be 14.2 gallons in there. Yeah I was risking running out of gas but I just wanted to hit that

yaya topping off might be bad and driving on fumes might not be great, its just a car, I love the "M3"

I have a touring hatch 6 manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention, the last picture 65.3 miles is the amount of miles I drove after I hit "0 miles to empty"

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have broke 500 a few times but I get scared when the light comes on. Having run out of gas in the middle of an intersection and got a ticket for it :(

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've gotten past 300 before.

Reactions: OvrSteer

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you don't mind my asking :

Do you drive conservatively, with the specific goal of getting that kind of gas mileage? In mixed (mostly highway but a lot of traffic) driving I'm averaging in the 36-38mpg range, but... I also mostly cruise at 80mph when not in traffic. Jsut curious how much effort you put in to get that kind of mileage.

Have yet to go far above 400 on a tank, but I know I have at least 3 more gallons in there when the readout says "0 miles."

(Also, "it's just a car" but if you keep topping it off that much it's going to be "just a car" that needs repairs pretty soon)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have broke 500 a few times but I get scared when the light comes on. Having run out of gas in the middle of an intersection and got a ticket for it :(
Yeah, I don't plan on going that close again, not worth it just wanted to do it once. I would feel like such an idiot if I ran out of gas because I wanted to hit "625" haha

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't mind my asking :

Do you drive conservatively, with the specific goal of getting that kind of gas mileage? In mixed (mostly highway but a lot of traffic) driving I'm averaging in the 36-38mpg range, but... I also mostly cruise at 80mph when not in traffic. Jsut curious how much effort you put in to get that kind of mileage.

Have yet to go far above 400 on a tank, but I know I have at least 3 more gallons in there when the readout says "0 miles."

(Also, "it's just a car" but if you keep topping it off that much it's going to be "just a car" that needs repairs pretty soon)
Hey Bob,

I drive very conservatively 95% of the time but not at the expense of other drivers (the other 5%). I coast, crest hills, least use of brakes possible (as dumb as that sounds), acel pretty slow (unless someone is behind me) and I stay below 70mph on highways always. But yeah, I always look at that mpg meter on the car and try to keep it as high as possible.

Crazy thing is im in traffic over an hour every single day. The manual was geared so much more for city driving in my opinion. anything over 60mph and im losing mpgs. that short 6th gear is a killer...

When I refilled the gas yesterday I drove 100% all highway at 60-65 mph not stopping with no AC in 73 degree temps and when I got to the place I was going 140 miles away my average (according to the computer on the car) was 49.0.

I don't want to get in a debate about toping off and driving on empty, I know its been discussed a bunch of times and respect everyone's opinions.

Martin-

·
Registered
215 Posts
I go about 400/tank, but I generally fill up around 1/4 of a tank. I drive conservatively, but I don't think much about it day-to-day. This results in me getting around 39mpg. This is mostly highway, but I'm driving between NH and Boston every day, so it also includes daily traffic. Without traffic I've gotten between 41 and 44 MPG, and that's driving with traffic ~70-80mph. Keep in mind though, I don't drive like these retards and keep a good distance, crest hills, and generally cost with increased distance in heavy traffic (typical manual transmission behavior)

I don't top off at all though, so that's to account. There's a bit more space normally in the tank at the first click off, but once you get over the tank's capacity you're storing the fuel inside of the fuel line. I generally want to stay away from doing that / risking a spill.

·
Registered
184 Posts
YUP! Don't top off fillups. Stop on the first click (Unless it's one of those annoying broken pumps that clicks all the time). Going beyond that first click can cause problems with the emissions systems.
Specifically, a lot of the EVAP systems use canisters with activated charcoal along with some fancy plumbing to stop petrol fumes escaping to the atmosphere. Depending on the plumbing layout, 'overfilling' the car can result in the charcoal canisters getting flooded with fuel and no longer working correctly.

I dunno how susceptible our cars are to this, but i'd just not risk it. The only downside to not 'topping off' is a very slightly higher refuelling interval. Barely worth it considering the potential risk.

Tom...
edit: oops, I missed that this issue had already been addressed :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YUP! Don't top off fillups. Stop on the first click (Unless it's one of those annoying broken pumps that clicks all the time). Going beyond that first click can cause problems with the emissions systems.
Specifically, a lot of the EVAP systems use canisters with activated charcoal along with some fancy plumbing to stop petrol fumes escaping to the atmosphere. Depending on the plumbing layout, 'overfilling' the car can result in the charcoal canisters getting flooded with fuel and no longer working correctly.

I dunno how susceptible our cars are to this, but i'd just not risk it. The only downside to not 'topping off' is a very slightly higher refuelling interval. Barely worth it considering the potential risk.

Tom...
edit: oops, I missed that this issue had already been addressed :)
Hey Tom, while what you are saying makes sense, I owned a ford explorer sport for 12 years (2002-2014, I put 260,000 miles on it, and every fill up I topped it off, and every tank I ran the thing dry, to the tone of actually running out a few times (yeah I know stupid), but regardless only changed the fuel filter once around 120,000. But with 260,000 miles and only one fuel filter that I changed "just because" I never had a problem. I sold the car running great, and replaced it with the mazda 3... I could be doing damage but I highly doubt it. but I agree to diagreee cause I don't want to argue about it. Just call me a "retard" like the other guy did. lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm terribly sorry,but i'm not one for calling people names on the internet :tt2:

Anyway, I wasn't talking about the filter, this is the EVAP system and those canisters are damn expensive (in the hundreds, typically). Sure, you could top off a given vehicle indefinitely and never run into the issue - it depends on the plumbing on any given vehicle. I would hope that maybe they design around this issue on more modern cars - I don't know.

Just a word of warning is all, you do what works for you :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Got 607 miles on the SGT before stopping for gas, unfortunately I don't remember how much gas it took to refill the tank. It was stressful, I was afraid I was going to run out any moment.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got 607 miles on the SGT before stopping for gas, unfortunately I don't remember how much gas it took to refill the tank. It was stressful, I was afraid I was going to run out any moment.
ahh damit! now im gonna have to do it all over again to try and "one up" you!!!

haha

·
Registered
184 Posts
Do you have bigger petrol tanks in the US or something? I have only done one full tank so far before my car died and I think I got like 450.... KILOMETERS!

It could just be my right foot though :/

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder if you're the other '14 Mazda 3 I see on my commute sometimes.... (NH -> Billerica every day).
Bob,

I know you are referring to Tinuviel however just thought it was a coincidence that you mentioned Billerica.
Thursday nights (7pm ish)I usually park my mazda 3 out front of the "automotion" parking lot on 846 Boston Rd in Billerica, I visit my friend that owns that place. We all do a big car ride for dinner every Thursday. everyone has vipers, corvettes, mustangs etc, and I meet up with them in the mazda cause I work down the street in Lexington. If you see us stop by and we can talk Mazda 3's!

Martin-

·
Registered
73 Posts
600miles/tank is very impressive. What would you say was your average speed for this tank? All highway? just you in the car or were you loaded down with people/items in the trunk. My last tank average was 39 and It was me and one other in the car, and nothing else. Average speed was about 60mph on country backroads with very little stopping.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
600miles/tank is very impressive. What would you say was your average speed for this tank? All highway? just you in the car or were you loaded down with people/items in the trunk. My last tank average was 39 and It was me and one other in the car, and nothing else. Average speed was about 60mph on country backroads with very little stopping.
Soler25,

I always push the limits, Im the only one in the car with one back pack and that's it, car is completely empty. That last tank was 95% me by myself. and no gear what so ever. I use the Mazda 3 strictly to save gas cause I drive a lot. My other car is a f150 and it uses about 3x as much gas. I think the avg speed on that tank was 33mph. But you can really go by that as far as a way to figure things out. I also have my tires at 40psi cold, not really sure how much that helps me.

·
Jaffa Cake Addict
385 Posts
I've yet to hit 600 KMs a tank :(

1 - 20 of 51 Posts