2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gf picked up her 14MY Mazda 3 GT with the 2.0L 2 weeks ago. We will be traveling from Detroit to Milwaukee (~400 mile each way) this weekend. Currently her car has about 300 miles on it.
Based on the break in procedure it says not to keep the engine at one constant speed, either slow or fast for long periods of time for the first 600 miles. Should we be concerned about this on our trip? I'd assume not using the cruise control would be the best idea.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yeah, don't use cruise control for sure. Just vary the RPM every now and then and not let the engine get accustomed to working at a certain RPM. :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
agreed don't use cruise control or if you do just for like 15 minutes at a time. If its an option part of the trip leave the interstate and take a normal highway if that's an option.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm still in my break-in period, with around 70% highway driving so far. Agree with above, I've mixed up the speeds and taken the off-interstate route here and there, along with moderate cruise control usage.

Personally, avoiding sudden stops and starts; I've kept my greedy finger off of 'sport' mode so far. That'll change this weekend when I roll past the recommended break-in period and open her up a bit and see what she can do. *\o/*

Apologies in advance for stating the obvious: 400m each way is a pretty good distance. I'd do the normal pre-road trip stuff including checking fluids and visual inspections along with the tire pressure.

Fair winds on your trip o/

·
Registered
964 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it much. With 300 miles already on the clock ( hopefully it was a variety of different driving conditions ) the engine and transmission are pretty much broken in. If you had only 30 miles on it, I'd maybe suggest side roads and what not just for the sake of the engine but in reality, there will be no noticeable difference in reliability or performance either way.

The 600 miles suggestion is in place to simply give the driver plenty of time to get used to the car. Get comfortable with the brakes, how the engine responds to the gas pedal, etc, etc. Nothing magical happens when the odometer changes from 599 ---> 600. The engine doesn't suddenly go from "break-in mode" to "normal mode".

I personally beat the shit out of mine during the test drive with 3 miles on the clock and every day since then (after it's fully warmed up, of course). 8,000 miles and counting. I don't expect an engine failure because I didn't follow the "don't abuse the car during the first 600 miles" rule. That stuff is for pussies. Real men peal out and redline the engine while pulling outta the dealership after signing the papers. :thumbup 1:

All joking aside, seriously, drive it like you normally would. If it's an auto, downshift into 5th gear every 10-15 minutes and cruise for a mile or two. Slow down and speed up randomly by 5-10mph when no one is behind you. Take an exit ramp and jump right back on the highway, revving the engine normally at first and then floor it and give it the beans at the next. I bet you'll smell something funky as the engine heats up the exhaust and you burn out the spiders and cobwebs that have settled in during your girlfriends 300 miles of granny driving during the break-in period. This is normal and is actually good for the engine to experience every type of engine load during break-in, so I say, ENJOY THE CAR!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys everyone, she's driving as I type this. I'll make sure I enjoy the car when it's my turn to take over. ? but so far it's a nice ride!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I redlined during my test at the advise of my salesperson and right after I signed the papers. If it was that absolutely important they would tell you before leaving or do it for you on a dyno or something. I didn't drive super hard for the first little while but now I drive it the way I like to and it's been completely fine

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hey! I redline that hoe 1-3 times a week depending on how I feel. :thumbup 1::thumbup 1:
Heh....you had me at 'hoe'

:cheesy:

·
Registered
752 Posts
the red line is like having a hott girlfriend. you just gotta get in it a few times a week. :p

·
Registered
348 Posts
A good redline once in a while keeps the carbon buildup away!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts