2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Its there but something you quickly get used to tbh. It doesn't spoil the car. Oddly it's worse in my wife's 2.2D, or perhaps that's her clutch control.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's okay then.. I was surprised to read about this actually as reviewers heap praise on the clutch.

Hopefully it's decent in stop start traffic, sometimes I want for an automatic, the Mazda 3 version is so much slower tho!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The dual mass flywheel can make for rough 1-2 shifts. You need to get the release and the throttle application timed just right to keep it from bouncing a bit. It can be done but it takes lots of practice to get it right.
We have a dual mass flywheel? All this time I thought it was a standard plate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I could physically change the gearset, but the ECM which calculates and displays which gear you're in would get confused. It does a calculation of roadspeed versus rpm (when the clutch is fully let out) - and this'd change if I change the gearing. Ah, the complications of modern cars...😐.
MazdaEdit will fix that.:) There is a table for the expected gear ratios.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Its there but something you quickly get used to tbh. It doesn't spoil the car. Oddly it's worse in my wife's 2.2D, or perhaps that's her clutch control.
Not sure if I would agree with that. If you are trying to accelerate quickly, having to delay the 1-2 shift for smoothness would qualify as "spoiling" the car to me.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I think in circumstances like that, just make the shift quickly without double declutching and tolerate a 'wee bit 'o clutch slip as you get into 2nd. It can be smooth that way. BTW the double declutching is slower, but it can make it smoother for a normal pace of acceleration.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yep, in stop-start city traffic you've rarely got the ability to accelerate quickly in any case and for fast cross country driving 1st to 2nd isnt a change you do much.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Where in the UK are you, if you're anywhere near Manchester you can try mine, it's a 66 plate 2.2 d. The post by arathol and CDN are both right but at the same time support the case of the 1st-2nd gear change is poor/flawed. For me there shouldn't be any sweet spot or special technique to change to any gear in a good transmission, I do get good gear changes by the way, but you have to think about it which just isn't right. I've only ever drove manuals, the last car for 200,000 miles by me which also has a dual mass flywheel, and like all the other car's and vans I've driven anyone from a learner to a race driver could get in them and get a good change without any additional thinking of revs, speed of shifting etc. Again this is my opinion of my own experience so please don't vilify me, instead please try and post a video or write up techniques of how any of you get a good shift or something. I've personally found that there's no issues if you change either very early (sub 1500rpm), from 1500 to maybe 3000rpm I'll maybe ride the clutch a little/rev match if I'm doing a harder pull away and want a moderate-fast gear change, 3000-4000 rpm (don't bother going higher with my engine as peak torque & power is already maxed out) don't need to think as much as it seems more forgiving, maybe just a little riding of the clutch if I'm having a bit of fun and having a drag race with the guy next to me and wanna keep the power down & revs up through the next gear 😁👍

·
Registered
961 Posts
Not vilifying you or questioning your prowess with a manual... You're right that the combination of the dual mass flywheel and the 6mt don't make for a happy-go-lucky pair... but it appears it's not so much the 6mt as it is the flywheel. Moot, in any case... It is what it is; luckily some folks do have the skill to surmount these lackings. Good job the rest of the shifts/gears are ok though.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,624 Posts
Either ride the clutch a little or shift into second around 1k rpm and a very slow speed of 10 mph or so.. super annoying in traffic.
CK

·
Registered
99 Posts
Its taken me years to perfect the 1st to 2nd manual change in my Mazda 3. TBH the whole clutch and gear change experience is my mazda is a bit rubbish and nothing to boast about.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,624 Posts
I hate to say it.. but I'm eyeing alternatives. I've almost paid off the financing, but I only enjoy this car on long trips with little stop and go traffic. Kind of a rare experience in Los Angeles..
CK

·
Registered
961 Posts
I wonder if a tune could be developed to increase, albeit mildly, the rate of rpm drop between gears. However, that'd be at the price of pre-cat and cat life expectancy. The precat is spendy 'cuz the exh header is integral with it. I'd be reluctant to muck with the dual mass flywheel, what with engine balance issues possible.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,624 Posts
Or I could just get an Evo or STi with AWD.. 4 doors needed or I would get an older MX-5 or BRZ.
CK

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've personally got one eye on a Toyota gr Yaris, it's a whole new platform designed specifically for rallying so don't think I'd have to do any aftermarket mods. Just need my partner's car to die so she can have my Mazda then I can have some fun. Wish I could fit in an MX-5 but 6'2" and 200lbs doesn't seem to be frame size it was aimed at and although I might fit in with the aid of a lot of grease and a giant shoe horn, I don't think it'd be comfortable for me as a daily driver.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,624 Posts
I'm almost the same height and weight and with it being a 2 seater, it's surprisingly comfortable for me. I've test driven it and road around in a neighbor's 2003 LS with a 5 speed manual. Fun cars!
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,624 Posts

Cool car! Not available in the states sadly and only 2 doors. The Veloster N is supposed to be a blast too for a 2 seater.
CK

·
Super Moderator
6,529 Posts
I wonder if a tune could be developed to increase, albeit mildly, the rate of rpm drop between gears. However, that'd be at the price of pre-cat and cat life expectancy. The precat is spendy 'cuz the exh header is integral with it. I'd be reluctant to muck with the dual mass flywheel, what with engine balance issues possible.
Seeing as how rev hang is controlled by the ECU then yes it could be dialed out as part of a tune. It wouldn't hurt the cats at all. All it does is prevent the lean spike generated by the sudden closing of the throttle plate.
The dual mass fly wheel is used to reduce torsional stresses on the driveline and also to reduce driveline noise. Its also supposed to make engagement and disengagement smoother. Not a whole lot to do with engine balance though.
As for engine balance, I suspect that the 2.5 has minor secondary balance issues. It doesn't like to rev like the 2.0, and feels strained at the limits where as the 2.0 is smooth right to 7k.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Arathol, I've heard you say before, now that I think of it, that sudden throttle closure (and a lean condition) spikes NOx - and that would be an intuitive conclusion, to be sure, and obviously something Regulators would want to NOT happen... But I distinctly remember hearing that hydrocarbon spikes occur which causes more rapid catalyst degradation (presumably due to heat?) and accordingly throttle "dashpots" were used. Was this possibly the case when the earliest applications of catalytic converters was being made, in and about 1975, when there still were mostly carbureted cars out there with those first catalytic converters? Are carburetors different in this behaviour?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts