2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the deal with shifting from 1-2 in the 6 speed manuals? (I have a 2017 2.5)

It is very difficult to get a precise, quick shift as you have to wait a second or so to let the revs fall into place to get a smooth shift.

From the specs, 1st gear is 3.363:1 and 2nd gear is 1.947:1. Could such a large ratio change be the culprit?

Not very sporty if you ask me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Rev hang is a feature of drive by wire throttle bodies sadly. Bang it though or slip the clutch a bit, neither is ideal. Someone that REALLY understands the mapping might be able to map it out for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rev hang is a feature of drive by wire throttle bodies sadly. Bang it though or slip the clutch a bit, neither is ideal. Someone that REALLY understands the mapping might be able to map it out for you.
I have a MazdaEdit personal license for my particular VIN. I have looked at the throttle tables and really don't see anything that would hang the revs, but I probably don't understand what is going on in these tables.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Now how did you swing that ? :)

Me neither I'm sure if I looked at them but you really feel it if you drive a modern (pretty much any) and something 20+ years old, snap the throttle shut in a low gear on them and it feels like you stamped on the brake - or you drag the rear wheels if you've gone proper old school!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now how did you swing that ? :)

Me neither I'm sure if I looked at them but you really feel it if you drive a modern (pretty much any) and something 20+ years old, snap the throttle shut in a low gear on them and it feels like you stamped on the brake - or you drag the rear wheels if you've gone proper old school!
I bought a license :)

·
Super Moderator
6,547 Posts
Rev hang is not a feature of drive by wire, but it is made possible by drive by wire. Rev hang is for emissions purposes. When you lift off the throttle you get a moment of very lean burn, which produces excessive amounts of NOx. The ECU keeps the rpms up to prevent this.
As for the 1-2 shift, it can be done. It takes time and much practice but once you figure it out its fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rev hang is not a feature of drive by wire, but it is made possible by drive by wire. Rev hang is for emissions purposes. When you lift off the throttle you get a moment of very lean burn, which produces excessive amounts of NOx. The ECU keeps the rpms up to prevent this.
As for the 1-2 shift, it can be done. It takes time and much practice but once you figure it out its fine.
I have had the car since 2017 (brand new) and have never really gotten used to it. The combination of a large gear ratio change and this rev-hang "feature" makes the car very un-sporty nor luxurious to drive. Maybe I am expecting too much from an econobox.

One would think that this rev-hang nonsense would not apply at WOT, but I guess they have to do what needs to be done to meet emissions.

If anybody knows if this "feature" can be removed via editing the Electronic Throttle Maps via MazdaEdit I would love to hear about it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A feature as in something implemented in most drive by wire installations for the reason you outline. Pedant ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
What's the mileage and have you ever changed the gear oil? My M6 gearbox didn't feel smooth and would grind until I changed the gear oil

What happens when you shift 1>2 at low RPM (below 3k)? Cable actuated gearboxes are notorious for refusing to go into gear under certain conditions

Are you fully extending your leg and pressing the clutch pedal fully? Indulge me. I've found that depending on the car either not pressing the clutch fully of pressing it past the point where the fork fully extends sometimes has the result you described.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Switching to redline synthetic gear oil was totally worth it for me. Not a hard job either.

There's also anol TSB for adjusting the shifter cables. Very easy procedure. Not sure it will help but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
977 Posts
What is the deal with shifting from 1-2 in the 6 speed manuals? (I have a 2017 2.5)

It is very difficult to get a precise, quick shift as you have to wait a second or so to let the revs fall into place to get a smooth shift.

From the specs, 1st gear is 3.363:1 and 2nd gear is 1.947:1. Could such a large ratio change be the culprit?

Not very sporty if you ask me.
You figure THAT'S a large ratio-change? Look what we have to deal with on Skyactiv-MT's in Mazda6's (the figures on the LHS)...
Yeah, it's not that great... I suspect I could change the first-gear gearset on my 6 to that of a Mazda3... blunting a bit of the first gear acceleration in favour of a bit more long-legged of a first gear, which'd be my preference for in-city use...

I could physically change the gearset, but the ECM which calculates and displays which gear you're in would get confused. It does a calculation of roadspeed versus rpm (when the clutch is fully let out) - and this'd change if I change the gearing. Ah, the complications of modern cars...😐.

Attachments

·
Your mom goes to college.
162 Posts
These cars are very hard to shift smoothly. It’s a combination of factors from the rate the revs fall to the vague but sudden clutch engagement to the rubber band motor mounts. It’s just how it is.

I can get in almost any other car (including first gen 3) and easily shift smoothly. The 3rd gen is just… special.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
These cars are very hard to shift smoothly. It’s a combination of factors from the rate the revs fall to the vague but sudden clutch engagement to the rubber band motor mounts. It’s just how it is.

I can get in almost any other car (including first gen 3) and easily shift smoothly. The 3rd gen is just… special.
Yeah that's true. I've developed a habit of a slight pause in letting out on the clutch at the engagement point to make it smoother. No need for that in any other car I've driven.

·
Registered
977 Posts
With some extra effort, like you say, it can be smooth. But never will it be smooth without this extra effort. Never easy/peasy.

It is smooth when you double-clutch making this upshift though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Let's get honest, it's a lovely car to drive but this 1st to 2nd gear change is embarrassing. I've changed the gear oil, fitted a stiffer rear motor mount, installed the corksport solid shifter bushings, adjusted the cable shifter cable's as per the tsb, bled the clutch even though it didn't fail the tsb for it to engage and my old Toyota Corolla with 203000 miles on it that my missus now drives puts my gear box to shame. I don't wish I'd bought another car but I do with I'd bought an automatic

·
Registered
977 Posts
You've done all of the things that can possibly be done. Now is it a gravelly-feeling 2nd gear (on shifting from 1st to 2nd) or is it the awkwardness described above? If the former, maybe a dud 2nd gear synchro is the culprit... not the basic "awkwardness" that is at play often for these cars, with that shift.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mine is identical to what's described above, the fact the rest of the gears change so well feels like rubbing salt in the wound. However I'm not convinced the ratio change is the only culprit at play, as like others have written in other posts, the issue can seem worse when it's cold

·
Super Moderator
6,547 Posts
The dual mass flywheel can make for rough 1-2 shifts. You need to get the release and the throttle application timed just right to keep it from bouncing a bit. It can be done but it takes lots of practice to get it right.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Arathol, I think you've hit the nail on the head; that has got to be the reason. Gear ratio differences are likely not much of a stumbling block, at least per my experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is the 1-2 shift issue true for UK cars circa 2014?

Is this stressful in stop start traffic?

I'm looking at buying a 2014 today.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts