2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 Mazda 3 GX with Halogen headlights has 15amp fuses for low beam. A 55W XID kit I bought requires 20 amp fuses. Does anyone know if you can safely just change to 20 amp fuses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is a CAR Rover 55W HID kit with Canbus Duo X60 ballasts. Actually I think I misunderstood the manufacturer. They probably meant 1 20amp fuse for combined both 55W headlights. I have separate 15amp fuses for left and right low beam. I think the calculation is 15amps * 12volts * typical 80% efficiency = 144 watts available per side. Even if the efficiency is as low as 60% I still should be able to support up to 100w per side. Its going to be a very crowded installation on the passenger side because the ballast is pretty big and they want me to install 2 relays as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
It might work, but you might also want to rethink this. Have you seen what HIDs can do to a reflector box designed for halogens? You might get a year if you are lucky before the light boxes are burned out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Use a relay harness to power the HIDs. Consider getting a 35W kit because the 55W will just burn your reflector bowl very quickly.

And also, why not buy a better set with a better warranty like morimoto?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts