2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am doing an engine change with my son on a 12/06 Mazda 3 Neon while draining the transmission oil I noticed the oil was slow to drain and found what looks like a magnet blocking half of the drain hole. The item can be moved if pushed around with a screwdriver but it is to large to come out the drain hole.

I was wondering if there are any magnets in the transmission from the factory or am I looking at a failing transmission? The oil was nice and clean coming out.

The car has a good service history but as we purchased this not running it is anyone's guess how the transmission was performing before the engine failure.

Any info much appreciated.

Danny

·
Registered
22 Posts
Magnets are often placed into the transmissions to collect the metal particles (of course the magnetic ones like cast iron, steel etc.) which are generated over time.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Magnets are often placed into the transmissions to collect the metal particles (of course the magnetic ones like cast iron, steel etc.) which are generated over time.
Hi everyone,

I am doing an engine change with my son on a 12/06 Mazda 3 Neon while draining the transmission oil I noticed the oil was slow to drain and found what looks like a magnet blocking half of the drain hole. The item can be moved if pushed around with a screwdriver but it is to large to come out the drain hole.

I was wondering if there are any magnets in the transmission from the factory or am I looking at a failing transmission? The oil was nice and clean coming out.

The car has a good service history but as we purchased this not running it is anyone's guess how the transmission was performing before the engine failure.

Any info much appreciated.

Danny
I don't believe an OEM Mazda manual transaxle typically has a magnet in it. What COULD have happened is that someone bought a magnetic drain plug and/or a magnetic fill-plug - and the adhesive holding the magnet onto the plug - released and the magnet came free. Now if the fill plug, say, were larger than the drain plug (perhaps unlikely) - it may be that the now-released magnet (which unlikely as it may be) fell towards the bottom of the 'box without attaching itself to any of the metallic items on the way down... but it is a larger diameter than the drain plug threaded hole - and cannot therefore pass thru.

Just a SWAG... (swinging wild-*ss guess).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't believe an OEM Mazda manual transaxle typically has a magnet in it. What COULD have happened is that someone bought a magnetic drain plug and/or a magnetic fill-plug - and the adhesive holding the magnet onto the plug - released and the magnet came free. Now if the fill plug, say, were larger than the drain plug (perhaps unlikely) - it may be that the now-released magnet (which unlikely as it may be) fell towards the bottom of the 'box without attaching itself to any of the metallic items on the way down... but it is a larger diameter than the drain plug threaded hole - and cannot therefore pass thru.

Nice thanks guys for your thoughts. I am preoccupied with the secondhand engine at the moment that we want to fit, a bit low on compression on No-2 cylinder the exhaust valves are leaking slightly when pressure tested. Hopefully, just a valve lash adjustment. :oops:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts