2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nope. Apparently Mazda has the big brass ones to try to charge $40 apiece for license plate frames that have "zoom zoom" etched into them.

Well, I decided to do one better. I took to my workshop and came up with this nifty thing. The plate frames are $10 cheapies from Autozone and the emblems are from aluminum I had already, but the stock would cost $20 for a piece big enough to make about 8 emblems. I'll probably be doing more stuff like this, and now that the website lists the paint code for my car I can get some touch up paint to do the insides of the letters.

I think it's much better than the OEM one (if you want to call it that) and plus I made it myself.

Next up might be the pedals. I want to see the Mazda ones in person to get a feel for how they attach before using up more Aluminum though.

Attachments

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Nicely done! Very cool

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
i found these brass, then painted over with gloss black, plates frames to be pretty good. Also available in chrome, brass and flat black finishes. My state is a "bear cat" on your month and year "labels" being totally visible, so this thin frame one meets those requirements. It the paint absolutely perfect? No, but who is closely eyeballing a plate frame, and with a little polish and rubbing with an applicator mitt, you could make it close to that. It is $14.99 with Amazon prime. Have these frames on several of my vehicles for many year with no paint peeling; and because they are brass underneath, no rust issues. Going to get a set for my 3. And because they are "4 hole", I do not have any "license plate to frame" rattles that many plate frames cause on rough roads.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABD2EXG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The frames I used have tabs on the back to "hug" the plate, and even though the frame doesn't have bottom holes I still screwed the plate to the car, using a set of rattle reducers I found at Autozone. Basically they're a plastic spacer that goes under the plate, and one that goes between the plate and frame. It provides enough tension to hold everything tight and keep it from touching/rattling. Not perfect but it works really well. As an added bonus they used security torx bolts so it's that little bit more difficult if someone wanted to try to take my frame :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts