2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 2.5 Touring last year the day after Thanksgiving, dealer demo car had 8000 miles on it when I got it. Almost passed on it because I didnt want the electronic parking brake and I wasnt sure about the 18 in low profile wheels and tires, thought I would have rather had a manual park brake and the 16s. I have put 40000 miles on it since then, my commute is 100 miles one way ( a long story lets just say the job pays well enough to make it worthwhile ).

This car has been flawless. No complaints whatsoever. Took a little learning to realize the SBCS system is sometimes obscured by freezing fog or similar, the first time the warning came on I had no clue. A couple times the TPMS came on, learned to not let the oil change guys mess with the tire pressure. I change the oil every 5k and rotate the tires at the same time...the factory Dunlops probably have another 10,000 left in them. I had heard they werent the greatest tire but even last year in the snow I had to push it to find where the car might break loose. Im still getting an average of around 34-35 mpg, I can get 37 or better out of it simply by setting the cruise a bit lower and taking my time. I dont baby this car either, I make sure it gets some regular exercise as my drive is a combination of hills, open road, and twisty corners. Ive driven for over 40 years, this is the best handling car Ive ever owned, granted its a production sedan not a Mc Laren and for what it is, Im quite pleased with the power available.

So did I get lucky or is this just typical? Ive been following the various threads here, seeing if there are common maintenance issues that show up on these cars as they age or common things that people end up having to do, or common updates. Honestly, if it aint broken Im not inclined to fix it.

Am I missing anything, are firmware updates something to worry about? Are there any performance mods, stuff like a cold air intake and that sort of stuff that really add significant power or would I just be making my wallet lighter that are really worth the $$ ( no turbos or nitrous please Im trying to be real ). It seems that they did a really good job when they thought this car out. I was tempted by the 19 and the awd, or a manual trans, but honestly this is just too much fun to drive just as it is.

Thanks much

Mike Sutton

·
Super Moderator
4,431 Posts
Pretty typical of 3rd generation cars. Newer cars not so much it seems....

Power? Not much that will make a difference. Tuning the engine is the only way to get any significant gains, and you need to tune for 93 octane to realize the best results.
Suspension mods make a huge difference. Rear sway bar, better springs and dampers, better tires, chassis bracing etc will really make the car handle even better than it does now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes you got lucky. You found the third generation Mazda3. I put 100,000 miles on mine with the same experience. Enjoyed every drive. Unfortunately my son convened me to give it to him and buy myself a 19 AWD 3. I am tempted to take it back and give him the new car. (I am only partly joking)

Your experience is exactly what I would expect.

I replaced the tires when I gave it to him. they probably had 70,000 miles on them since I also used winter tires. I would have gone another 20 to 30,000 miles if it wasn’t going to him.

Don’t think about modifying it.The Mazda3 is so well engineered that anything you do will jeopardize reliability and economy.

The new 3 is a comfortable cruiser with lots of annoying flaws. The last 3 is the sports sedan I want to drive.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Leave it alone, and keep on driving it. 2014-2016 are the best years so far. Should be good for 200k.

The only thing I'd consider is bumping the tire size on your 18s up to 225/45/18. Better ride, better tire selection, and about 1.6 percent increase in fuel economy but not according to computer.

·
Super Moderator
4,431 Posts
Don’t think about modifying it.The Mazda3 is so well engineered that anything you do will jeopardize reliability and economy.
Don't be ridiculous. There are ways to make the car better, why not take advantage of them if that is the direction you want to go? Reliability won't be compromised, neither will economy. In fact, most who have tuned their cars report increased mpg over stock.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's 'real easy, from the perspective of a person who has NOT experienced problems, to say "what are you talking about? The car is PERFECT". Well, some of you have found good examples of '18's and '19's. Probably the majority of you have... but some, NOT. They are not "seeing things" or "hearing things". I do believe there are some problems out there... and it is my hope that Mazda Corporate addresses them promptly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my 2018 Touring 2.5L HB with sunroof/Bose package for 8 months. Bought it with 4500 miles from dealer as demo car, now have 27k on it due to driving 100 miles to work a day roundtrip. No problems what so ever, great car and really enjoy driving it. I use Royal Purple oil and top tier oil filters every 7500 miles and the thing just purrs. Very impressed with the Mazda. I've had Ford explorers, edge, fusion and didn't enjoy driving them much as this. Only an Acura RL I had was as good driver but that car was extremely unreliable and full of problems. This 3 has been solid.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great job buddy! I drive about half as much as you. 28K in 1.5 years on my 2018 2.5 GT 6-speed. Outside of a bizarre warranty issue with the A/C smelling like a dead skunk wrapped in an asshole blanket... this car has been amazing. (Dealership had a TSB on the A/C issue and flushed it then added a biocide to the freon to prevent it from coming back... I'm good now thank God.)

I've also thought about doing some mods but can't justify the expense. This is an economy car with sporty characteristics. It is not a true sports car. (The violent reactions from others will undoubtedly ensue.) I will caveat this... it is the sportiest of economy cars that you can buy without going bananas on a Civic R or something similar. I love my 3 and am digging the gas mileage and handling.

The only negative that I can think of is that this car is small. I am a tall guy and the 9 hour trips to Jacksonville every three weeks are BRUTAL. I wish that Mazda had more comfortable seats... but that would compromise the sporty handling for sure. Tradeoffs... life is full of them! o_O

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Don't forget highway miles are easy on cars (maybe not paint). Dis you see the guy thread with 300k on his car?

I should also note, that my first 30k was all highway yet the first year my car spent about 45 days at the dealer until mazda got involved and send a tech to diagnose the actual issues and fix everything. During that time, I had new injectors, new computer, 02 sensor(twice), multiple blown tires, and finally once the mazda tech got into it, turned out to be a leaky exhaust manifold which resulted in a full header replacement along with both cats. Also had the seat worked on because it was rocking back and forth too much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I did get lucky or maybe I got a typical 3. I will add, Im six foot five and 250 lbs, and before I decided I wanted the car I put the drivers seat fully fwd and fully aft to see if I actually fit in the front and in the back. While it is a small car, I never feel cramped in it and my head is no where near the ceiling and I keep the seat back fairly vertical. Ive investigated and considered some of the handling mods but I doubt Id really take advantage of them unless I was autocrossing. More hp wouldnt hurt my feelings but I have never felt it was lacking and it always seems to have plenty for passing or hill climbing. I do wish I had inside parking for it, I wash it weekly and wax it during the summer months, I see faint water spotting in places and I know by next spring Ill probably have to get the exterior detailed. I am very pleased, Mazda if you are watching this forum then you have my thanks, I find it interesting the 2019 have had issues, one would think a car maker would keep what works when they make a change.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My '15 Mazda has been perfect so far during my four years and 37000 miles of ownership. I've yet to need a mechanic. The only things I've had to replace so far are a set of tires and a battery. That's it except, of course, for such other consumables as oil, filters, rock-damaged windshield and gasoline.

My driving conditions are ideal for good economy, being almost exclusively on the highway and at posted speeds or less, so my average fuel economy is higher-than-average at about 44 MPG. Even though my results admittedly are above what most people will realize, they do indicate what is achievable under ideal driving conditions with this little car great little car.

Because I'm not in a hurry and am easy on the throttle, about the only time I leave other traffic behind is on the curves. The handling of this car is just amazing. It makes my ole MGB sports car feel like a pig in the corners by comparison, yet it more than doubles the number of miles I can get to the gallon.

What's not to like?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Leave it alone, and keep on driving it. 2014-2016 are the best years so far. Should be good for 200k.

The only thing I'd consider is bumping the tire size on your 18s up to 225/45/18. Better ride, better tire selection, and about 1.6 percent increase in fuel economy but not according to computer.
I totally agree. I have a 2014 Mazda 3 hatch GT with tech package and have had only one thin break. It was the sunroof switch. Other than that the only issue has been battery life. I am on the 3rd battery. And that's no joke because with the I-Eloop system it requires a "high performance" battery only available from Mazda (as far as I know). On the bright side, the batteries have a 36 month 100% replacement guarantee so I have not paid 1 cent to replace the 2 that failed since I bought it. I replaced the tires, change the oil and filters on schedule and rotate the tires every 5,000 miles or so. It now has about 61,000 miles on it. I love my car and still think it looks beautiful. I will keep it as long as I can. I would buy another Mazda and recommend them to my friends.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I just broke 140k kms. Besides normal maintenance, only significant problem I've had is seizing rear brakes. I believe I've solved this problem.

Overall, very happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had mine for 11 months and love it. Just rolled 16k miles and no issues. Now looking into doing some stuff to it. I can see this car lasting a long time

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't be ridiculous. There are ways to make the car better, why not take advantage of them if that is the direction you want to go? Reliability won't be compromised, neither will economy. In fact, most who have tuned their cars report increased mpg over stock.
Like what kind of mods are you talking about? I could see replacing worn out parts with high-end aftermarket parts. Changing the stock parts with different size suspension parts in order to lower it or change geometry is ill-advised as those systems are engineered in for optimal performance.

·
Super Moderator
4,431 Posts
Changing the stock parts with different size suspension parts in order to lower it or change geometry is ill-advised as those systems are engineered in for optimal performance.
Don't know where you got that from.....
The OEM parts are built to a price point and designed to satisfy the widest variety of potential owners. Lowering is not an issue, and when done right without changing the geometry lowering can improve the way the car handles. However, if done wrong it can cause significant handling issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just drove from Jacksonville to Key West yesterday - 510 miles - averaged 39.6 MPG. Though my rear end was killing me from the seats (see another thread in the interior section) I was okay with the trade off of gas mileage for too narrow of a seat. At 6'3" 210 lbs... I am simply too big for this car for long trips. Approaching 30K and no squeaks, rattles, or craziness. Mexican built 3 is holding up very well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts