2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been doing some searching on this site and I can only find posts about bike racks and hatches.

I know there are a ton of bike racks out there, but I'd like to know which ones you guys have. I have a mountain 29er, and I'd like to remove the bike rack easily when I'm not using it. Only thing I'm really concerned about is the paint being worn down from the friction of a trunk rack. Any suggestions?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
So I've been doing some searching on this site and I can only find posts about bike racks and hatches.

I know there are a ton of bike racks out there, but I'd like to know which ones you guys have. I have a mountain 29er, and I'd like to remove the bike rack easily when I'm not using it. Only thing I'm really concerned about is the paint being worn down from the friction of a trunk rack. Any suggestions?
As most people have said, get a hitch rack. It can be used on sedans. The best hitch for this car is a Curt. You can check them out at eTrailer.com.

·
Tiny Member
239 Posts
I have a Thule T2 which has worked very well so far. It's made in the US but is a little heavier than the Kuats. It's traveled 5000+ miles on my Altima without issue with road, mountain, and touring bikes. The ones in the pics are a 59mm road bike and 21"/XL 29er.

Here's a few pics of it on the car as well as on the storage rack I built for it in the garage to get it out of the way when not in use.

_DSC2731 by GirchyGirchy, on Flickr

_DSC2735 by GirchyGirchy, on Flickr

_DSC2740 by GirchyGirchy, on Flickr

_DSC2741 by GirchyGirchy, on Flickr

_DSC2753 by GirchyGirchy, on Flickr

_DSC2754 by GirchyGirchy, on Flickr

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - maybe in the future - Don't really want to spend all that money on a trailer hitch, and a hitch rack - would run me up $500+, that's almost as much as I spent on the bike. Maybe I'll just have to disconnect the front tire and shove it in the back with the seats down.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Check out the Kuat Sherpa. It's a smaller hitch rack that fits either receiver size and works well with my XL 29er. The best part for me is the hatch can still open with the bike on and the rack folded up. And I get to see it every time I back up.
Just what I was looking for. I'm about to get the Curt hitch installed and am debating between the Sherpa and the Thule T2. It appears with it's lighter weight and cam tightening system, the Sherpa will be much easier to install and remove from time to time as I don't plan to keep my rack on all the time.

Do you find it to be easy to remove? Also, any bouncing/vibration issues with the Sherpa, especially when you have 2 bikes on it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Sherpa is very easy to take off the 3 and put on the van. An 8mm Allen helps loosen the cam if it's more than hand tight, but they provide one. And it's pretty light.

Bouncing is not an issue, especially with two bikes. I re-tighten the bolts about once a year and it gets rid of any play.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The Sherpa is very easy to take off the 3 and put on the van. An 8mm Allen helps loosen the cam if it's more than hand tight, but they provide one. And it's pretty light.

Bouncing is not an issue, especially with two bikes. I re-tighten the bolts about once a year and it gets rid of any play.
Thanks. Very helpful. Now time to decide on color to go with my white SGT. It looks like they used to make a white sherpa, but now they only have black and gunmetal.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I picked up the Kuat Sherpa a couple weeks ago, and this past long weekend took it for a 500 mile round trip with 2 mountain bikes to Lake Tahoe through mountain passes and all. Definitely very easy to take on and off. The locking is a bit more work than racks with an integrated lock, but I feel it's actually more secure.

On bumpy roads, the bikes do bounce and sway a bit, but I guess that's expected. Also very impressed with the fuel economy, I got 32 mpg round trip considering the peak elevation is a 7300 ft mountain pass. I think at most that is 1-2 mpg hit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts