2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went in to get a tire rotation and two new Kumho tires to replace one tire that had a huge bubble on it and another that was leaking air, both due to potholes in Pennsylvania... Turns out all 4 of the rims were bent, the one that was leaking air was bent the worst.

Gunna have to pay an extra $150 to get the one that was leaking air fixed... I guess that means I don't need a new tire on that one... but maybe it's better to replace it in pairs since the Two new tires will be rotated up front...

I was told the Kumhos have a better traction rating of 'AA' while the stock Dunlop tires have a traction rating of 'B'..... I'm hoping that I will notice a difference since the Dunlops seemed kind of sluggish off the start, but that may be because I never had a car with ABS and Traction Control....

Here's the tire that was leaking air, this is the one I got fixed for $150:

This is one of the other ones that was bent:

I asked the guy if Mazda was just giving me bad Wheels, although I have hit way too many potholes, he said this was happening to everyone this winter, and it was so bad that the guy who fixes them couldn't keep up....

Pennsylvania is terrible for potholes, I dunno how it is in other states., but it was ridiculous this winter....

Another pic in the shop:

At least the car looks nice..... lmao...

They told me it would be $400 I think, to replace the Wheel....

Anyone know of a Quality, good looking 18" wheel that sells for $150? I may just replace all 4 in the future if it costs $150 to fix each one.... :death: :cheesy:

-----------------------EDIT------------------------

Here is a site selling some different wheels at 18" and priced under $150

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/18_inch_wheels.cfm

I don't know anything about Rims/Wheel quality... are all these just cheap rims, or are some of those brands good? They actually look good, I dunno about the quality though.

Here's a pic of the selection if you don't want to click the link, I think it has the brand above each rim:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I ever go to Pennsylvania.. Remind me to get a rental..
Yea.... honestly, I have never seen it as bad as it was this winter.... it was amazing... I never even knew what cause potholes I thought it was from all the snow plowing cause it hasn't snowed like this in a while...

Any other time of the year it's usually fine.... but there are some really terrible spots of potholes that will just go weeks without getting fixed...

And even when they do get fixed, they break up after another week.... it was awful.... :no:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Check the TIRE RACK.. they have 17" steel wheels for the 2014- 3's 4 for $276 before shipping, that might be your option. Most aftermarket wheels will be softer than your o.e.'s.

·
Registered
468 Posts
wow..looking at it on the lift makes me feel glad we don't have that wheel gap =P

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow..looking at it on the lift makes me feel glad we don't have that wheel gap =P
lol... could you imagine, that shit would be hard to get in.... I'm sure somebody has a raised mazda 3 somewhere....

other side:

Yea that wheel gap is insane... :death:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would also strongly recommend a dedicated set of steel wheels for next winter... Won't be as harsh on those nice oem rims.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Even out here in Cali we got potholes, I hit one last week that ballooned a tire and bent two wheels not more than 30 minutes from the ocean and I've not even had my car 60 days yet. Just broke 6500 miles on it. Luckily I bought this platnium service protection plan that covers tires and wheels. I'm looking to see about switching to the 17s to get some more sidewall protection.

·
Registered
278 Posts
wow. thats pretty nuts. i have fam in Pennsylvania, and will be visiting them soon. i will def not take my whip there. the road trip is always fun, but if that is what happened to your stock wheels, then its a no go with my aftermarket ones this year.
it wasn't too bad last year, but def not up to what it should be

·
Registered
387 Posts
But how do you drive OP? Potholes here in Socal maybe as bad as it is there. Los Angeles itself might be as bad. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Even out here in Cali we got potholes, I hit one last week that ballooned a tire and bent two wheels not more than 30 minutes from the ocean and I've not even had my car 60 days yet. Just broke 6500 miles on it. Luckily I bought this platnium service protection plan that covers tires and wheels. I'm looking to see about switching to the 17s to get some more sidewall protection.
I'm thinking of changing to 17's also. Have you found the correct combination to keep the ride hight the same? Found many more options in tire selections with 17's, to few 18's with Low rolling resistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts