2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3S 18" wheels will go flat with smallest pothole, donut on drive wheels question.

Be warned, low profile 18" do not play nice with small-medium potholes/irregularities. Hit a manhole with a crumbling concrete surround, it was slightly jarring but not something that I would imagine would cause a flat. Tire emptied to flat at the stoplight 1/4 mile down the road, had to drive ~1/2 mile on a flat to where I could finally pull off to a parking lot (curbs both sides, 1 lane).

225 miles on the car so told Discount I want same exact tire, not mismatching tires on a brand new car. Has to be ordered and don't have the time to go have it replaced until black friday. Hate to spend the $$$ on such a crap tire (Dunlop SP Sport 5000) but not ready to spend 1000+ for some Michelins on a brand new car.

So have transportation should I leave my car parked. How far is it safe to drive with two radically different radius wheels on the drive axle? Went ~2 miles and have about 12 miles to drive to the tire shop, hate to wreck my transmission. Owners manual does not caution against the spare on the drive axle.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'm not sure how long you can drive with the donut but my friend has a TL and he drove about 20 miles with the spare on the rear twice, each on different days and he didn't have any problem.

I have about 1400 miles on my car and I changed out all my tires this past Monday. I got the Michelin Primacy MXM4, was able to get some money back for trading in the stock Dunlops and Michelin has that $70 rebate thing going on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should check to be sure that the two wheel/tire combinations do have different diameters. I assumed that the temp spare had a smaller diameter than the regular wheels/tires on my '12 Honda Civic, but when I had a flat tire and used the temp spare, I was surprised that it was the same diameter as the regular tires--not the same width, but the same diameter.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Is it not covered under warranty?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh completely forgot that the new ABS wheel speed sensor TPMS system did not detect a flat tire for ~1/2 mile. Tire pressure light did not come on until about 1/2 mile AFTER i put the temp spare on. :censored 1:

Mazda your change to a rotational speed algorithm is another step back. Your system did not detect a flat or even a loss of air for over 1/2 mile at speed initially at 30-35 MPH then to 20-25 the last 1/4 to get to a safe spot. Rush hour in Atlanta made these speeds necessary on a flat.

'14 TPMS.....useless.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
After I got my new tires they were set at 38 psi, stock is at 36 psi I believe. After driving a bit I got onto the fwy and the TPMS light came on. Went back and decreased psi back to 36 and the light went away. Wish it could have came on sooner =/

·
Tiny Member
244 Posts
Oh completely forgot that the new ABS wheel speed sensor TPMS system did not detect a flat tire for ~1/2 mile. Tire pressure light did not come on until about 1/2 mile AFTER i put the temp spare on. :censored 1:

Mazda your change to a rotational speed algorithm is another step back. Your system did not detect a flat or even a loss of air for over 1/2 mile at speed initially at 30-35 MPH then to 20-25 the last 1/4 to get to a safe spot. Rush hour in Atlanta made these speeds necessary on a flat.
I'm guessing there's a minimum length of time it'll wait until it signals a flat. Personally, I'd much rather have that than need to deal with the stupid in-tire sensors down the road.

And driving that fast on a flat is nuts...screw traffic, that's what hazard lights are for.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Whether right or wrong, here's a quote from the owner's manual:

"To avoid false readings, the system samples for a little while before indicating a problem.
As a result it will not instantaneously register a rapid tire deflation or blow out".

·
Registered
269 Posts
My guess is the TPMS in the 14 Mazda 3 is meant to detect slow leaks or reductions in air pressure, such as going from summer to winter time as thats usually when you see about a 4-5 psi drop and people don't often fill up or reduce air every season. Still would be nice if it detected it sooner then 1/2 mile with that much air coming out.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Be warned, low profile 18" do not play nice with small-medium potholes/irregularities. Hit a manhole with a crumbling concrete surround, it was slightly jarring but not something that I would imagine would cause a flat. Tire emptied to flat at the stoplight 1/4 mile down the road, had to drive ~1/2 mile on a flat to where I could finally pull off to a parking lot (curbs both sides, 1 lane).

225 miles on the car so told Discount I want same exact tire, not mismatching tires on a brand new car. Has to be ordered and don't have the time to go have it replaced until black friday. Hate to spend the $$$ on such a crap tire (Dunlop SP Sport 5000) but not ready to spend 1000+ for some Michelins on a brand new car.

So have transportation should I leave my car parked. How far is it safe to drive with two radically different radius wheels on the drive axle? Went ~2 miles and have about 12 miles to drive to the tire shop, hate to wreck my transmission. Owners manual does not caution against the spare on the drive axle.

Thanks in advance!
When I had my s2000, the manual recommended that I place the front 17 rim on the rear drive axle to prevent damage to my rear LSD differential.

The Mazda 3 does not have a LSD, so with an open diff, I don't think it matters. Please fell free correct me if I am wrong so I don't damage my transmission...

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Hmm yesterday I hit a pot hole and within a few 100 feet or so the TPMS light came on and beeped. Luckily I was driving right by that tire place I bought the Michelin's from and had them check it out. There was a nail stuck in one of the tires. So I'm not sure if the TPMS responded right away or if the I had the nail since yesterday lol

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I knew the ABS sensor/algorithm systems were worse but never realized they were that bad. I just decided to run a Google Maps directions. From the manhole that triggered the flat to where I sat at the stoplight for my tire to empty was .2 miles, then I drove .5 miles on the flat to where I changed the tire.

I know the manual says it does not detect immediate loss, blah blah blah. 3/4 of a mile with 1/2 of that at ZERO pressure and the system needed me to pull over and throw a spare on before it warned something was up. Luckily I noticed pretty quickly based on steering feel and the pulling, unfortunately the TPMS could never confirm nor deny the presence of a flat tire.

Useless.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I had my s2000, the manual recommended that I place the front 17 rim on the rear drive axle to prevent damage to my rear LSD differential.

The Mazda 3 does not have a LSD, so with an open diff, I don't think it matters. Please fell free correct me if I am wrong so I don't damage my transmission...
Don't think it really does, but have always read cautionary tales of different rotational speeds on drive axles. I think Subaru still strongly cautions against such things. <---due to AWD in their case, but still applicable in a general sense. :cheesy:

Have parked her in the mean time. Have a '08 BMW 128i 'vert to my use so no need to drive around on a donut spare. :no:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I knew the ABS sensor/algorithm systems were worse but never realized they were that bad. I just decided to run a Google Maps directions. From the manhole that triggered the flat to where I sat at the stoplight for my tire to empty was .2 miles, then I drove .5 miles on the flat to where I changed the tire.

I know the manual says it does not detect immediate loss, blah blah blah. 3/4 of a mile with 1/2 of that at ZERO pressure and the system needed me to pull over and throw a spare on before it warned something was up. Luckily I noticed pretty quickly based on steering feel and the pulling, unfortunately the TPMS could never confirm nor deny the presence of a flat tire.

Useless.
As you said, you were able to tell that you had an issue by steering input and pulling. I would suggest that the TPMS is meant more for subtle changes in pressure that you might not notice but would effect your mileage and maybe your alignment or tire wear.

I think it's assumed that if you have a flat tire, you should notice that without the aid of TPMS. After all, I've been driving for almost 30 years now and I never needed a computer to tell me when I had a flat...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As you said, you were able to tell that you had an issue by steering input and pulling. I would suggest that the TPMS is meant more for subtle changes in pressure that you might not notice but would effect your mileage and maybe your alignment or tire wear.

I think it's assumed that if you have a flat tire, you should notice that without the aid of TPMS. After all, I've been driving for almost 30 years now and I never needed a computer to tell me when I had a flat...
Yes very true.

On your last sentence.....I have been in commercial property management long enough to know there are plenty of people that would never notice they had a flat until the rim was blowing a 75 foot tall rooster tail of sparks. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So replacement cost is as follows - had to be special ordered from Discount Tire. BTW wont use anyone other than Discount or Americas Tire. They use torque sticks to manufacturer spec and you watch them work.

Tire: $185.00
Waste Fees: $ 3.75
Install/Spin Balance: $16.00

Total: $204.75

Since I only had 250 miles on the clock they sold me replacement certs for all 4 at $23.75/each. Since I managed a pothole flat within the first 250 miles I decided it was worth the $95.00 charge to cover me the entire lease. Free replacement down to 3/32's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts