2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 3i sport hatchback

saw that the 'auto relock time' was set to 30 sec.

thought this was the walk away auto lock feature.
it isn't. :(

does my car have a walk-away lock feature?
and what does 'auto relock time' do?

·
Working Class Hero
3,569 Posts
Auto relock time is how long you have to open a door after you unlock it with the fob or the request button.

Not sure if your trim level has walk away lock, but it should be in a settings menu in the MZ Connect if you do.

·
Registered
372 Posts
2015 3i sport hatchback

does my car have a walk-away lock feature?
and what does 'auto relock time' do?
Probably not, you only get that if you have the "Advanced Keyless Entry System", which I believe is not present on the 3i Sport. The way to tell if you have it is if you have to use the keyfob to open the doors or not. On the AKES version, you don't have to: you just walk up to the car and press the little button on the door handle to unlock it, as long as the key is in your pocket.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have this feature on my sGT but don't use it purposely. If battery gets weak and key left in the trunk or even in the blazer's pocket which I can toss in the back seat car might lock me out :(

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have this feature on my sGT but don't use it purposely. If battery gets weak and key left in the trunk or even in the blazer's pocket which I can toss in the back seat car might lock me out :(
actually, have you tried that? the car will beep at you if you put your keyfob in the trunk if youre car is running and will not lock the doors. also if the key is inside the car, you cannont lock the doors with the remote. the walk away feature is not when you walk away from the car. its when the key is out of the proximity of the car.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yes, I tried that at dealership a sales person urged me for this. For an experiment sake I rolled down window to be on a safe side, I put fob in my thick leather messenger back in the trunk and 30 sec later car locked up. Turn out car was produced in 06.14 and purchased 02.15 so battery got weak but was replaced for a new one. I don't know if it is isolated case but after this I disabled that feature.

Edit: Oh I forgot to add another incident it happened once, I unlocked trunk, tossed my bag in and opened! drivers door but car wont start and key is not detected led was blinking. Again, it might be isolated case but this happened with new battery in the fob.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes, I tried that at dealership a sales person urged me for this. For an experiment sake I rolled down window to be on a safe side, I put fob in my thick leather messenger back in the trunk and 30 sec later car locked up. Turn out car was produced in 06.14 and purchased 02.15 so battery got weak but was replaced for a new one. I don't know if it is isolated case but after this I disabled that feature.

Edit: Oh I forgot to add another incident it happened once, I unlocked trunk, tossed my bag in and opened! drivers door but car wont start and key is not detected led was blinking. Again, it might be isolated case but this happened with new battery in the fob.
interesting.

anyways, for the situation where your car would not start with the key in the trunk. that is how the key is suppose to work. the car will only start if the key is in close range of the steering wheel regardless if its inside the car.

if you search the forums, most members with key issues was the opposite. doors didnt lock when they walked away.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I switched mine to the walk away lock feature. Noticed by myself after I get out and walk away it does as it is supposed to.

But when I had a passenger it did not at times. I got out of the car and shut my door as the Wife was getting out. She shut her door and we started to walk and I did not hear the beeps that it locked. Then used the remote t o lock it.

Going to test it some more. Do like the feature but it is a little finicky.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I switched mine to the walk away lock feature. Noticed by myself after I get out and walk away it does as it is supposed to.

But when I had a passenger it did not at times. I got out of the car and shut my door as the Wife was getting out. She shut her door and we started to walk and I did not hear the beeps that it locked. Then used the remote t o lock it.

Going to test it some more. Do like the feature but it is a little finicky.
You just have to be within 3 feet or so from the car at the time all doors are closed for it to work. Sometimes if I walk away from the car quickly as I shut the door, it will not lock on its own. I've made it a habit to not rush it when closing the doors now.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah, that's probably by design. It's not going to try to lock the doors if one of the doors is still open, and it won't lock the doors if it can't actually see the key "walking away". So if you're out of range when one of the passengers closes the door, it won't work. Your passengers need to close their doors first before you walk away from the car.

For a single driver, it works great as long as you don't bolt away from the car too fast as you're shutting the door.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2015 mazda3 iGT
I have walk away lock, but it only works about 19 times out of 20. I certainly breath a sigh of relief when I discover my car was unlocked all night and nothing's missing.

·
Registered
250 Posts
2015 mazda3 iGT
I have walk away lock, but it only works about 19 times out of 20. I certainly breath a sigh of relief when I discover my car was unlocked all night and nothing's missing.
That's how mine is. It's worse than any other lock system I ever had. It's unreliable, and I still have to carry a key that I can't get wet.
The electronics on this car are awful. Besides being slow to start, buggy and unreliable, the navigation and audio create a level distraction that is dangerously off the charts. I hope I can get Carplay soon, but otherwise I'll probably replace the car as soon as it's paid off. Which is sad, because otherwise I really like it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
MY issue is always making sure I'm next to the car when the last door closes. I'm pretty good when I'm on my own and I've not had any problems with that piece...except for one time that I walked away too quickly as I shut the trunk. MY problem is when I'm out with others, I sometimes don't remember to stand by the car until the other door(s) is(are) closed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
MY issue is always making sure I'm next to the car when the last door closes. I'm pretty good when I'm on my own and I've not had any problems with that piece...except for one time that I walked away too quickly as I shut the trunk. MY problem is when I'm out with others, I sometimes don't remember to stand by the car until the other door(s) is(are) closed.
I usually remember, but my passengers always look at me funny because I close my door and just stand there waiting.. which makes them take longer to close their door. :laugh2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts