2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

New to this forum and basically here for a question on behalf of a Christmas gift for the girlfriend's 2010 mazda 3.

She is basically complaining that her stock halogens don't illuminate a high enough output for driving in poorly lit areas at night. I see many of you all have upgraded with DDM Tuning's slim ballast kits with your stock projectors. However I am torn between 35w 5000k's or 55w 6000k's. I want her to see a lot better at night especially in rural areas but I don't want to risk blinding anyone if the 55w is too bright.

So basically to anyone who has a 5000k or 6000k 55w is it overkill? Do you get highbeamed and piss people off when you pass them at night? And to people with 5000k 35w would you want your low beams to be any brighter? Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
4500K or 5000K will give the most white light. 6000K will give a hint of blue and it's kinda hard to see on a blacktop/asphalt road. 35W is fine but 55W may require an additional relay harness if your stock wire harness can't handle the extra current. 55W is slightly brighter but it's a personal preference.

·
Super Moderator
6,186 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet thanks for the replies fellas. In theory the 55w 6000k should be nearly the same tint of light as the 35w 5000ks, but either way she doesn't care what color the lights are illuminating.

The main question to myk: When you're driving with little or no ambient light in rural/sketchy city areas, are your 35w good enough to see something such as an animal about to jump out in front of your car at a fairly good distance away? The pics on the linked thread you sent look great but we all know you can't really tell until you're behind the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
6,186 Posts
It's pretty bright, but I don't drive in areas that are too dark all that often. I was in Sequoia National Park, there is no light out there, and combined with my high beams, it was plenty for me. I'd say get the 6k 55w, if you want some really bright lights. I just think they'd be a bit much for the city.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Mat D. aka JESUS
87 Posts
The 55w give off too much heat and may damage the existing headlight housing because it is in such a confined space.. Plus you will have to replace the bulbs more often. I recommend the 35w.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a setup (shown below) with 35W 6000K HIDs for the headlights, they work well enough and are better than stock, but are at times too dim and don't spread out enough for me, even tho I did a full retrofit. I may someday go up to 55K HIDs. I have a Morimoto 3Five kit from theretrofitsource.com. A full retrofit is a lot of work but the results are impressive (even tho I say I want more light).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts