2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I'm planning to get one of DDM HID kits but I'm not sure which voltage is right for my car. I have a 2011 M3 I-sport and it takes H11 bulbs for low beam. On the back of the bulbs, the voltage for the bulbs are listed 55W. So, does that mean that I have to go with a 55W HID or it doesn't matter? Please explain, thanks!

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Omg this question is asked so much please search man! Anyway 35w is gonna be short distance but clear beam where as 55w is long beam but blurry. Thats all you need to know

Reactions: tomyhands

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
I have a 35w 5000k morimoto kit.. I think it looks good and works fine. Go with a quality kit coz last thing u want is a ballast going out on the highway

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the great insights. I guess I have to reconsider getting one of DDM HID kits now !-_-!

·
The Dark Knight
68 Posts
I'll stand up for DDM. Of course, for 30-50 dollars you're not going to get top of the line stuff but they work incredibly and have lasted me 3 years with no issues. I have 55W 8000K but and before them 6000K and I've enjoyed them. It depends on what you're going for: A cheap but good upgrade or something serious. The DDMs were a good improvement over stock.

Reactions: Loaine23

·
Registered
345 Posts
Omg this question is asked so much please search man! Anyway 35w is gonna be short distance but clear beam where as 55w is long beam but blurry. Thats all you need to know
Not true. Beam distance is determined by aiming and the cutoff shield. 55w cannot reach any further distance than 35w without re-aiming the headlights. The cutoff shield physically limits it.

Like others have said, DDM quality sucks. H9 halogen bulbs easily put more lumens on the road. No matter what kit you get the results won't be spectacular as our Koitos aren't great.

·
Mazda Service Manager
89 Posts
I wouldn't suggest getting DDM's kits. Everyone I know has had horrible experiences with not only their products but also with their customer service, which is why I went with Kensun. Besides, for what they charge for shipping, you might as well save and get something a little more reputable.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Not true. Beam distance is determined by aiming and the cutoff shield. 55w cannot reach any further distance than 35w without re-aiming the headlights. The cutoff shield physically limits it.
No the reason is because one produces more light. Put a 55w next to a 35w you will see the difference. Has nothing to do with re-aiming

Reactions: xuji21

·
Mazda God
307 Posts
Whatever you do don't buy a 3000k HID kit from DDM u might get green with no hint of yellow you can't go wrong with any color

·
Mazda Service Manager
89 Posts
Whatever you do don't buy a 3000k HID kit from DDM u might get green with no hint of yellow you can't go wrong with any color
That's because DDM doesn't have true 3000k bulbs. They're 5000k bulbs painted yellow... It came right out of their rep's mouth!

·
Registered
345 Posts
No the reason is because one produces more light. Put a 55w next to a 35w you will see the difference. Has nothing to do with re-aiming
55w will not shine any further than 35w in a projector with the same aim. Yeah there's more light which is still contained under the cutoff. That cutoff prevents light from going any further. Without re-aiming the headlight or modifying the shield, you can't achieve more distance. Oh and 55w will in fact RUIN your distance vision because of the sheer about of foreground light produced by our projectors. With that amount of foreground light and none going any further, you in fact see WORSE than 35w. Come back when you've done a little more homework and done some big boy lighting mods

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have 3 35W DDM kits in 3 different cars (1 5k in my mz3 and 2 6k in other cars) and have not had any problems whatsoever. They have the proper color temp and havent failed me yet. Their LEDs are definitely not worth it, but I would still buy HIDs from them without hesitation (except for the 3k, which is the only kit that i have heard more bad than good about)

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
55w will not shine any further than 35w in a projector with the same aim. Yeah there's more light which is still contained under the cutoff. That cutoff prevents light from going any further. Without re-aiming the headlight or modifying the shield, you can't achieve more distance. Oh and 55w will in fact RUIN your distance vision because of the sheer about of foreground light produced by our projectors. With that amount of foreground light and none going any further, you in fact see WORSE than 35w. Come back when you've done a little more homework and done some big boy lighting mods
Well thank you for that info I guess I'm wrong. But the vision thing I knew

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would also recommend a different kit besides DDM also. I bought a set and finally took them out after 2 bad ballasts. I agree lifetime warranty is awesome but you pay shipping there and then wait 3 weeks for replacement product and I'm sick of changing out my headlights.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Not knocking the people who support DDM because they may never have any issues which is all fine and dandy. But the DDM kits are very underwhelming compared to quality aftermarket and not even in the same league as OEM.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i have DDM 55W 6000k

I LOVE IT

1. its definitely brighter than OEM and 35W. dont care if they arent 55W bright. .
2. LIFE TIME WARRANTY. a breeze to install. so i dont mind.

if you want better lights.
spend more and get retrofit projectors

1 - 20 of 30 Posts