2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between 30k service vs the 5k service. The 5k service includes the oil change,rotate tires and "full circle service card" , it seems the 30k does the same thing. Around here the 5k costs me 65 after tax but the 30k costs $130.

·
Registered
383 Posts
30k service should include both your engine and in-cabin air filters which are around $20 each at the dealership if i remember correctly then of course they charge you to put them in($5 minutes maybe lol)

·
Registered
266 Posts
30k service should include both your engine and in-cabin air filters
It might be worth taking a look at the engine air filter earlier. In the case of the s Touring with the 2.5-liter engine, the Scheduled Maintenance sheet for the United States shows replacement of the engine air filter takes place at 37,500 miles, or at 35,000 miles if the owner is following the severe service schedule. Nevertheless, I changed mine at 30,000 miles - it was very dirty and should have been changed many thousands of miles earlier.

Since we're planning on keeping the car, we added a transaxle fluid change to our 30K service. We also had a brake fluid flush performed at the same time. I haven't been able to find any mention in Mazda's maintenance or service documentation as to when they recommend changing the brake fluid, but I don't feature going year after year using the same fluid. As for the transaxle fluid, I guess it's supposed to last forever.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The transmission fluid i would agree with. I changed the fluid in my speed3 at 30k miles. I personally think the brake fluid could have waited but if i change mine, it would be when i do some sort of brake work(swap pads and rotors, install stainless steel lines, change the caliper to have more brake pad options). And yeah i changed my air filters at 30k and the engine one was pretty dirty.

·
Registered
723 Posts
QUOTE: "...Nevertheless, I changed mine at 30,000 miles - it was very dirty and should have been changed many thousands of miles earlier...."

Air filter engineers say noone can judge the condition of an air filter by appearance, except that it looks dirty. Because of this, many heavy-duty vehicles have air filter restriction gauges to tell the operator when the air filter is too dirty, which causes excessive air restriction which harms performance but does not harm the engine through contamination.

Ironically, air filter pros claim that an air filter actually filters better after some dirt is on it, as the dirt layer actually allows more, finer filtering. So, as an air filter progressively gets dirty, it filters progressively better.

I would think the factory's miles-to-change recommendation is good, unless perhaps the car has been driven in a lot of dust storms or the air filter somehow gets soaking wet or is damaged in some way.

·
Registered
266 Posts
QUOTE: "...Nevertheless, I changed mine at 30,000 miles - it was very dirty and should have been changed many thousands of miles earlier...."

Air filter engineers say noone can judge the condition of an air filter by appearance, except that it looks dirty. Because of this, many heavy-duty vehicles have air filter restriction gauges to tell the operator when the air filter is too dirty, which causes excessive air restriction which harms performance but does not harm the engine through contamination.

Ironically, air filter pros claim that an air filter actually filters better after some dirt is on it, as the dirt layer actually allows more, finer filtering. So, as an air filter progressively gets dirty, it filters progressively better.

I would think the factory's miles-to-change recommendation is good, unless perhaps the car has been driven in a lot of dust storms or the air filter somehow gets soaking wet or is damaged in some way.
I'm familiar with that line of thinking, and I agree with it - not that I have any specific experience or knowledge in the subject, mind you.

I was quoting what the shop I use told me after they did the 30K service. We live on a dirt road, so I wasn't surprised by their comment. I didn't see the filter, but next time I think I'll have them show me what they're talking about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts