2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have a '14 M3 sGT that's at 30k. I took in to the dealer to do oil change, oil filter, & rotate tires and they pitched the 30k service that needs to be done that came out to $300+.

My question to them (and you guys) is how do I do just what's on the 30k maintenance manual (brake hoses, fuel hoses, suspension steering linkages) and not additional (clean/adjust throttle body).

They did say there's like a $100-ish 30k inspection they could do but they recommend the bigger package (obviously).

I included a pic of what's included in the $300+ 30k job they recommend for reference.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
im gonna say it, youre gonna get rip off if you pay that.

mazda's complimentary full circle inspection (last line on your coupon) already includes most of that stuff.
Just follow whats in your maintenance manual. my thing is dont fix it unless its broken. if the inspection says something is broken or needs adjustment, then decide. if you pay up for all the other random things on there like "cleaning or adjustments" most likely your car is too new to need any of it anyways.

heres the PDF of the complimentary full circle inspection and ive also attached and image on what it suppose to cover.
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/pdf/parts_service/mazda_full_circle_service.pdf

i also hope that dealer is not charging to update the mazda connect unit either, there were some discussions on the forum that dealers would charge $40-50 to update the firmware. its suppose to be free.

Attachments

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
That's a good tune up schedule for 60k, but definitely a little overkill for 30k.

·
Registered
57 Posts
MOST of what they are selling you is visual inspection; i.e., make sure that fluids aren't running out of cracked tubes (coolant, brake fluid), make sure that fluid levels are correct. Then there's the regular checks. Funny things on the list: Throttle body should never need adjusting and shouldn't need cleaning due to the way the PCV is. Adjust rear brake shoes (NO shoes on this vehicle), adjust E-brake - it's self adjusting. Ball joints are no service items - they're either good, or they're not. Check the fans? Turn on the A/C while car is running (are both fans on?) then you're good to go. Inspect nuts/bolts on chassis (no technician is going to do that). I WOULD, go ahead and have the coolant flushed and the trans flushed - but that's just me. In another thread customers said that dealers had to special order the fluid and didn't want to do the trans flush. In short, dealership is overselling service. Get the "regular" service done and then decide what extras you want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what would you guys recommend I do/say at 35k? (Considering the 30k "service" I did was oil change, oil filter, and tire rotate).

Just opt for the $100 inspection that should include what's in the maintenance manual? I definitely agree with the fact that I don't want to do unnecessary work like the throttle body and air filters (which I've already one).

·
Registered
87 Posts
That "deal" is basicly an oil change.... They inspect most of that stuff with any oil change at most dealers. Seem like good way for them to make 4-5 times the money for an oil change.

If you want a full inspection, I'd pay firestonecompleteautocare 80 bucks and have them do it.
I had them do it on my old 00 Accord, and they found a bunch of things that became a problem 30-50k after they found them.
An example is they said my caliper needed changing, it outright failed 35k after that. I thought the breaks were fine when I took the car in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
im gonna say it, youre gonna get rip off if you pay that.

mazda's complimentary full circle inspection (last line on your coupon) already includes most of that stuff.
Just follow whats in your maintenance manual. my thing is dont fix it unless its broken. if the inspection says something is broken or needs adjustment, then decide. if you pay up for all the other random things on there like "cleaning or adjustments" most likely your car is too new to need any of it anyways.

heres the PDF of the complimentary full circle inspection and ive also attached and image on what it suppose to cover.
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/pdf/parts_service/mazda_full_circle_service.pdf

i also hope that dealer is not charging to update the mazda connect unit either, there were some discussions on the forum that dealers would charge $40-50 to update the firmware. its suppose to be free.

+1

Seem like your dealer wants to destroy you.
Email Mazda Corp. if your in doubt.

[email protected]

They literally had an Mazda engineer write me a paragraph explaining a few things. Theyre great!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow man.
I'd do 0 of that, just get an oil change, and call it done.

My car Mz3 (2014 SGT) is approaching 30k miles and I'm not planning to do anything outside of the changing the oil& filter every 7.5k miles until 100k. I usually change my cabin air filter once every 2 years and the engine air filter every 50k or so.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow man.
I'd do 0 of that, just get an oil change, and call it done.

My car Mz3 (2014 SGT) is approaching 30k miles and I'm not planning to do anything outside of the changing the oil& filter every 7.5k miles until 100k. I usually change my cabin air filter once every 2 years and the engine air filter every 50k or so.
you may need to change brake pads before 100k. ;-)

·
Registered
49 Posts
And spark plugs are listed for replacement at 75k according to the manual.

I could be wrong but I think the coolant is long life and "should" be good to like 100,00 miles.

·
Registered
147 Posts
And spark plugs are listed for replacement at 75k according to the manual.

I could be wrong but I think the coolant is long life and "should" be good to like 100,00 miles.
Yes the new formulation of coolant really does not need changing for 10 years.

Dave

·
Registered
965 Posts
Sounds like a rip off for most of the stuff they're SUPPOSE to do / look at, when in reality, the tech won't even glance at half of the stuff on the list. It's all BS, in my opinion.

I mean, sure you can have a tech go through the list and inspect the condition of the car after 30k and while he's at it, that's when it's possible to usually spot other things that could possibly be defective or broken, etc. Say for example, you have a defective rear brake caliper and it's stuck and wearing the pads incorrectly. The tech CAN spot this and you'd get it repaired under warranty most likely. It all sounds good IF they actually look at that stuff and find a problem, otherwise, it's cash down the drain.

I service my own car from top to bottom and inspect everything myself, so I never had the need for these "services".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts