2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for that testimonial, Shraderade! These are great cars indeed.

One question: have you changed the auto transmission oil and filter during your 300K?
That’s a great question. No I have not. I took the air box out and found the dipstick to check the fluid level so I did. But I never changed either. It was a 50/50 Decision amongst other car people so I just roll the dice and said no I’ll just stick with it. At this point I’ve made my bed. Too late to change it now so I will stay posted when that dreadful day comes. 👍

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I agree. I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of this car and then some. Now it’s kinda becoming a quest. See when she’s completely done. I will keep my same maintenance schedule. Now my question is what should I lube my sway bar bushings with? Should I replace them? Getting creaky. Rest of the suspension is up to date.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Do you have the 18 in wheels? If so have you had a issue with bent or warped easily due to potholes ?
I have the 18" OEM rims. They are not very strong. I've had to replace a bent rim already with a new one.

I plan on getting some lightweight aftermarket 18" rims that are a little wider, once my current tires are ready for replacement.

I'm not sure what brand to get yet, but shaving off some weight will help with mpg and handling, and hopefully I can find a good looking set.
CK

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I agree. I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of this car and then some. Now it’s kinda becoming a quest. See when she’s completely done. I will keep my same maintenance schedule. Now my question is what should I lube my sway bar bushings with? Should I replace them? Getting creaky. Rest of the suspension is up to date.
arathol recommends using spray lube for the sway bar bushings. I used dialectic (I think that's the correct term) grease that came in a squeeze tube with a pointed tip.

I loosed the nuts securing the bar and squeezed a little around where the bar pokes out of the bushing. I used a flathead screwdriver to pry up the bushing a little too, so I could work some inside. It seemed to work, as they have stayed quiet since.
CK

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have the 18" OEM rims. They are not very strong. I've had to replace a bent rim already with a new one.

I plan on getting some lightweight aftermarket 18" rims that are a little wider, once my current tires are ready for replacement.

I'm not sure what brand to get yet, but shaving off some weight will help with mpg and handling, and hopefully I can find a good looking set.
CK
Sounds great. Keep posted on what brand/ size you go with. It’s something I wish I did 100k ago.

·
Registered
344 Posts
arathol recommends using spray lube for the sway bar bushings. I used dialectic (I think that's the correct term) grease that came in a squeeze tube with a pointed tip.
I suggest spray silicone lubricant or "rubber grease" like Silglyde / Sylglide" (not sure re spelling). These rubber-compatible lubricants have no hydrocarbon constituents which degrade rubber.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've used PBR rubber brake grease for literally decades on suspension rubber bushes. I believe it's made these days by Bosch.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I get it from Autobarn in Australia:
PBR made the original disc brake set up on my 1969 Triumph TR6 and I started using this grease on its brake/suspension late last century.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Chattanooga to Knoxville TN. 200 miles round trip. The family and myself refuse to live there so I drive. They pay me a car allowance each month for my troubles.
i'm in california, and something similar, my daily driving averages from 145 to 240 miles a day. Though, my average has been 32-33mpg with the 18 inch wheels. I did drop a little .3mpg when I went from 215-45-18 to 225-45-18, but the road noise got better as did the ride along with a much wider selection of cheaper tires.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts