2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The top picture is current. The bottom is day I brought her home. Thank you but I’ve been lucky. The way people drive these days... lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. It’s a automatic. I was in manual mode on the interstate. All highway miles, driven 1000 miles a week (roughly)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes. It’s a automatic. I was in manual mode on the interstate. All highway miles, driven 1000 miles a week (roughly)
I changed the oil every 20k miles with Mag1 full synthetic, fram ultra guard oil filter. I use the K&N air filter I clean every 50k miles. I got 200k miles out of my factory plugs but I get 90k from the NGK I use now. Having a good battery is essential. I have the DCT so when the battery gets low(by the way with no warning) the car will go into safe mode. Checked the battery after 2 years and was reading 10.6 volts. So the transmission control module didn’t have enough power and couldn’t communicate to the ECM. That was a awful experience on the interstate at 80 mph. Wheels suck. I got the 18s and the slightest pothole and you are guaranteed to bend/warp a wheel. I’ve also replaced the tie rods at 200k and the front struts along with the rear shocks every 120k which I’m replacing again this weekend. That’s really it. When they say low cost of ownership with this car they really meant it. Still good power out of the 2.5l. Also the belts at 150k. Hope that information helps y’all in any way.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'm not far behind at 210k in May of 2014 on my GTS. The only things thus far have been battery, plugs(2x), belts, hydraulic tensioner, brakes rear twice.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think you have a SkyActiv conventional automatic... not a DCT - Dual Clutch Transmission. The former will, I believe, be more long-lived... as you are proving-out. I think the highway miles are easier on the car, and for the transmission, I suspect the torque converter is in Lock Up mode most of the time. Did you every change the automatic transmission fluid or the filter for same?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you have a SkyActiv conventional automatic... not a DCT - Dual Clutch Transmission. The former will, I believe, be more long-lived... as you are proving-out. I think the highway miles are easier on the car, and for the transmission, I suspect the torque converter is in Lock Up mode most of the time. Did you every change the automatic transmission fluid or the filter for same?
It’s a sealed transmission so no I’ve never changed anything. Also the problem went away with a simple battery change. I travel with a code reader just in case😉

·
Registered
344 Posts
I can't argue with your success... and Mazda does not make it easy to change fluid (or indeed to check fluid level) -- but no, it is not a sealed transmission. The whole subject of whether to change ATF / change filter at interval is a contentious one. Many differing opinions are out there, and indeed, it is possible to get debris into the fluid during an attempt to do this. Plus many modern-day conventional automatics are very sensitive to ATF level... and it is hard to get the level correct. Finally, for a car that has done many, many miles... introducing new ATF (with a concomitant high degree of solvency... as a new fluid would have) it may "liberate" fines and gunk and debris... actually causing a problem. So, as I said at the outset, I cannot argue with your success.. and if it were my car (in its current state) I would not change ATF at this point.

For me, my methodology is to change ATF and filter.... with ATF drops, say, every 30,000 miles, and ATF filter changes at 60,000 miles... In doing this, you can get away with continuing to do this (because of the ingress of fresh fluid on a timely basis, and timely flushing-out of the wear debris). Do not do this, of course, with the 300,000 miles on the original factory fill of ATF for the reason stated above.

Oh, and I am very, very picky with getting the car level, being scrupulously clean, and accurately determining the ATF temp... which is a requirement in getting the correct ATF level.

·
Registered
99 Posts
this is very encouraging, thanks for sharing. Gives me a lot of hope for mine going into the future. My '14 MT only has 81k miles on it, sounds like it has a TON more life left in it.

Great work!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am genuinely impressed. Nice sled. The fact that you take excellent care of it show... because it takes care of you! You are saving a boatload of money. Keep going and keep us posted. Right on man!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts