2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a post on Bob Is the Oil Guy (BITOG), re a 300,000 mile Mazda3. The fellow said he changes the ATF at about 70k to 80k mile intervals...

Looks to be in good condition. Mebe a bit of rust just above the most forward part of the rear bumper cover... i.e. where it meets the wheel lip.

Pretty durable car! 'Hope the Skyactiv-G engines are, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I change my ATF every 2 oil changes (5k ea) because after watching a Toyota sequoia die of transmission failure sub 200k miles. I wanted to see if I can out do my dads expectation on my car lasting after adding about 100-150 miles a day.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would stress to you that on the Skyactiv-G cars the automatic transmission dipstick (and fill) point is on a ledge... and not via a tube. This ledge can accumulate road debris, dirt. This design is not really meant for a routine check of the ATF level or for refilling operations. Whenever you remove the bolt and remove the dipstick you need to really be careful no dirt makes its way into the transmission... and that means really carefully cleaning around the area (and may mean removal of the air intake assembly in order to do so). Use of a compressed air wand may aid matters too.

Hey, I advocate frequent ATF changes. But a person would be better off NOT doing so if dirt is apt to be introduced into the transmission in carrying out the atf changes. Just saying!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would stress to you that on the Skyactiv-G cars the automatic transmission dipstick (and fill) point is on a ledge... and not via a tube. This ledge can accumulate road debris, dirt. This design is not really meant for a routine check of the ATF level or for refilling operations. Whenever you remove the bolt and remove the dipstick you need to really be careful no dirt makes its way into the transmission... and that means really carefully cleaning around the area (and may mean removal of the air intake assembly in order to do so). Use of a compressed air wand may aid matters too.

Hey, I advocate frequent ATF changes. But a person would be better off NOT doing so if dirt is apt to be introduced into the transmission in carrying out the atf changes. Just saying!
Yeah dirt does accumulate very easily on top of the dipstick. Makes it very annoying as I take the car into desert roads. Makes my investment into a shop vac worthwhile

1 - 4 of 4 Posts