2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new guy on the forum..... I was just about set on a Mazda 6 GT w/ Tech Pkg and started looking closer at the 3's - specifically the S-GT w/ Tech. I like the room & overall look of the 6, but am not sold on the infotainment & nav system - and like the functionality of the 3. Overall the look of the 3 seems like it needs to be a little longer (then it would be a 6 I guess :wink 1:), and I don't love the center gauge tach, and of a little more leg room would nice for the rare times when all 4 of the family are in the car.

Anyone else gone through this decision process? Anything that led you on way or the other? Sure wish they'd dropped the new infotainment into the 2015 6....

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
They drive differently. The smaller 3 is more nimble and slightly faster and is a little more precise. In the 3, you have a heads up display so you don't need a center speedometer. The 6 is more of a family car and is a bit quieter with a slightly better ride. I decided on the 3, but my kids are grown. My suggestion is to make your decision on how the cars drive. They are both good.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I started looking at the 6 when it first hit and was immediately smitten; it's gorgeous. But the timing wasn't right for a new car, so I waited. Then the heavens opened up and the all new 3 appeared. I have always disliked the smile and was thrilled when it departed. That created a similar dilemma to yours.

I personally think the MZ6 is more aesthetically pleasing and would love to provide my backseat passengers a little more leg room. I don't haul much and don't play golf so trunk space zero consideration. Not in love with the look of the dash, but not deal killer. The lacking infotainment system, however, weighed heavily in decision.

What I like about the 3 is that it's peppy (2.5), sporty, has a modern interior, superior infotainment system and it's smaller and so easier to park in the city. I have to fight for parking in my neighborhood and some spaces are just big enough to squeeze the 3 into.

I weighed each and it came down to 1. I rarely have more than 1 passenger in my car, so backseat not key, 2. I prefer a sporty vibe (vs family car vibe), 3. infotainment system (nuff said), and lastly, the size. I really didn't want to limit my parking opportunities.

I ended up purchasing the sGT 3. I don't regret getting the 3. At. All. Both have good and bad. Personally, if you don't need the size, I would go with the 3 because of the sporty nature and superior infotainment. But that's me. Either way, you're getting a kick ass car. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey All, new to here too! Not to jack your thread OP, but I am in the same boat. Me and my better half are in the market of getting a new car. I am pretty sold on Mazda but my wife want to keep her options open. I am also debating if we should get the 3 or 6 if we go with Mazda. I have a VW hatchback already, so getting a 6 for future would be nice (if me and my wife decided to have kid)... however, that might not happen for at least 3 to 4 years... the 3 being Hatchback is the biggest plus for me! I am a hatchback person, and the extra room and the look is very nice

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I almost bought the 6 (touring) as well. Deal done for the price & everything and I backed out last second. I looked at the 3 touring with fog lights and tech pack and ended up buying that a couple months later.

Basically:
If you like a bigger car (or need it), get the 6.
If you like to drive 6MT, get the 3 (manual was better suited with the 3). Small cars usually mean better handling, less weight, etc.

Both look great, but I slightly preferred the 3's design.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah same boat here, specially since pricing difference of both is not that big, here is what it came to for me

Mazda 6: bigger, smoother ride (not by a lot) , no mzd connect, no
hud
Mazda 3: smaller, rougher ride (not by a lot), mzd connect and hud

I will not have more than one passenger in the foreseeable future, so it's a 3 for me.

If you have 4 people in the car, Mazda 3 might be a bit uncomfortable for the back 2, specially since there is not back vent. Why not consider the CX for 4 people?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I love the Mazda 3. I got the sport GT and love the ride, handling and power. The hatchback provides a good amount of cargo capacity for when you need to put large items in the car; especially when you fold the rear seats down. I've had several passengers ride in the back (6'0, 250lbs) and they have all said they were comfortable.

When it comes down to it, ask yourself do you need a bigger car, and is the 6 worth the extra $. Either car is going to be awesome!

·
Registered
43 Posts
For us last year, the choice was easy. We only drive sticks. While we love the 6 and the larger interior, getting a stick forces you to forgo features we wanted. The top model has no stick, and the middle model does give the tech package unless it's the auto.
This is especially infuriating as all 3 of these models are provided with the stick and no loss of tech stuff in Canada. So it's not a question of "it can't be assembled that way."
Fortunately, we so far have not found we need the extra space of the 6 for our 60 year old bodies.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey All, new to here too! Not to jack your thread OP, but I am in the same boat. Me and my better half are in the market of getting a new car. I am pretty sold on Mazda but my wife want to keep her options open. I am also debating if we should get the 3 or 6 if we go with Mazda. I have a VW hatchback already, so getting a 6 for future would be nice (if me and my wife decided to have kid)... however, that might not happen for at least 3 to 4 years... the 3 being Hatchback is the biggest plus for me! I am a hatchback person, and the extra room and the look is very nice
The 3 is tight when the kids are in a carrier or backwards facing car seat. Forward facing car seat is fine. I have a 2.5 year old a a 1 month old. I don't keep the carrier installed in my car because it really just doesn't fit without having to make serious adjustments to my driving position. just keep that in mind if the kiddos will be ridding a lot in the new car

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 3 is tight when the kids are in a carrier or backwards facing car seat. Forward facing car seat is fine. I have a 2.5 year old a a 1 month old. I don't keep the carrier installed in my car because it really just doesn't fit without having to make serious adjustments to my driving position. just keep that in mind if the kiddos will be ridding a lot in the new car
Noted! But by then when kids really play in to the factor, my wife will probably get an compact SUV or SUV. With us being 24 years old, gas and insurance will save us a lot more going with the 3 then 6 or even CX-5 at the moment.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, the perfect solution is the Mazda6 wagon. But of course it's not available in the US.
That's where i got stuck.

I prefer wagons/hatches/fastbacks >>>>>>>>> Sedans and while I needed a car of a certain size, I typically prefer smaller/lighter cars when possible.

If the 6 had been offered as a wagon here, it might have been up for discussion.

The rear seats of the 3 are actually generous for the class and perfectly fine for kids. For tall adults, there's really not *any* midsize car that's great, IMHO. The 6 is very nice, inside and out, but the 3 gets you the better infotainment/nav as well. Comparing the 2.5l 6-speed models, it's pretty clearly going to go to the 3 unless you really value the space or the cushier highway ride.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I prefer the 6, both for the size and looks. However, I prefer the infotainment of the 3 (I would actually get the base, non-touch screen stereo installed in the 6) as well as its quickness/agility. I absolutely need a hatch to load a couple bikes in the back. The perfect solution is the 6 wagon, but since there's no chance of getting one in the US, I had to look at other options.

I could have kept my old hatchback and just added a 6 to the family, but after test driving a Tesla, I decided the Tesla gen 3 will be my next midsize car, and I bet the chances of Tesla offering a wagon version are as small as the 6. So, I bought the new 3 to replace the hatchback.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got interested in Mazda by liking the 6. Then upon closer inspection, I realised just how big it was. This car is just too long and too wide for its class and, living in a town where parking areas are tight and parking spaces are often small and limited in number (and even my personal home garage is very small), I just thought it was too impractical, and I don't really need that extra trunk/rear passenger space so often as to raise back the practicality score for me

Then the 3 came out and it's smaller and better looking, but still quite roomy, so it was perfect for me

It's not funny how cars get bigger so quickly over time. My previous car was BMW 3 series (E46) which is a midsize sedan. My new Mazda 3 hatchback, which is supposed to be in a smaller compact class, is exactly the same size as the E46, maybe even a couple cm wider.

·
Registered
21 Posts
new guy on the forum..... I was just about set on a Mazda 6 GT w/ Tech Pkg and started looking closer at the 3's - specifically the S-GT w/ Tech. I like the room & overall look of the 6, but am not sold on the infotainment & nav system - and like the functionality of the 3. Overall the look of the 3 seems like it needs to be a little longer (then it would be a 6 I guess :wink 1:), and I don't love the center gauge tach, and of a little more leg room would nice for the rare times when all 4 of the family are in the car.

Anyone else gone through this decision process? Anything that led you on way or the other? Sure wish they'd dropped the new infotainment into the 2015 6....
I went through the same dilemma for weeks. I feel your 'pain'...

Both cars you mention are pretty close to the same price, so it's not really a price decision unless the dealer is offering a good deal on one or the other. Both have the same engine, but the 3 has the "sport" mode and weighs 200# less. Both have very similar appearances from front and side, rear only differs if you are looking at a HB.

The 3 just has a few more chocolate chips in its cookie. Adaptive, auto-levling Xe-HID. LED DRL and taillights. Rain-sensing wipers. Cooler infotainment system. Heated seats. Leather seats. Simple, uncluttered interior.

Ultimately, I went for the 3 because - as the weeks of deciding began to pile up - I found myself trying to justify not needing the 'extra room' of the 6 so I could enjoy the 'extra candy' in the 3.

No one regrets buying a little extra candy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was in the same position too and believe that the 3 is superior if you can tolerate a little more road noise and don't frequently have tall rear passengers for long hauls. Not only do you get more bells and whistles for the money, but the INFOTAINMENT center is worlds better than the unbelievably crappy one in the Mazda 6. I think the external appearance of the Mazda 6 is a little more elegant, but the interior on the Mazda 3 is more attractive, tight, and neater IMO.

Mazda 3 advantages:
- 1000% better infotainment - it's actually the best I've seen in ANY car and LOVE the command console
- Cleaner interior
- Better mileage
- Better performance
- Better handling
- Cheaper! GT trim for iTouring Mazda 6 price

Why I didn't choose either:
- Mazda fails to provide a good native remote starter
- The Mazdas are notorious for paint/windshield chipping due to rocks, etc -- don't want to go through clear bra hassle
- They are first year models which come with risks
- Mazda chose Bose for their premium audio -- I hate them!
- I have a long daily commute and wanted something quieter and more luxurious
- Insurance is $600 more per year than my Regal
- $27k OTD for a sGT can buy you a hell of a nice luxury car with relatively low miles

·
Registered
197 Posts
My wife and I bought the 3 over the 6 for the following reasons:

- We hate automatic transmissions and we wanted the advanced keyless entry. You can't get that with a manual transmission on the 6.
- We wanted a hatchback.
- The 3 was less expensive.
- The 3 got better MPG.
- The 6 is too big and harder to park and fit in our garage.
- The 3 hatch is better looking to us than the 6.
- The 3 hatch has more cargo room than the 6. (Even with the back seats up)
- The 3 handles better.

We test drove the 6 just to be sure, but we didn't like anything, except rear seat leg room, better about the 6 and we would have paid more money for less features if we had bought the 6.

We crossed the 6 off our list before we finished the test drive. Great car, but not our cup of tea.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.