2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
You really think it's safe to do? Maybe you can do it safely maybe. But I would not be telling people to do it.
My thoughts exactly. While it can definitely be done, the clutch is there for a reason! The main reason being the longest, quality filled life of the transmission.

@OrangeVirus1 Pretty nifty driving there! Not trying to troll or anything, just made somewhat of a stupid joke! :thumbup 1:

On the other hand, aren't there some racing transmissions designed for shifting as you described, or would it be something to avoid at all costs, regardless of the transmission build?

OP, what's the temperature been like in your area lately?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My thoughts exactly. While it can definitely be done, the clutch is there for a reason! The main reason being the longest, quality filled life of the transmission.

@OrangeVirus1 Pretty nifty driving there! Not trying to troll or anything, just made somewhat of a stupid joke! :thumbup 1:

On the other hand, aren't there some racing transmissions designed for shifting as you described, or would it be something to avoid at all costs, regardless of the transmission build?

COLD! Today it was 31 I think around 11 am. I should be grateful I have some friends in SD and they have been negative for weeks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
COLD! Today it was 31 I think around 11 am. I should be grateful I have some friends in SD and they have been negative for weeks.
I'm in Austin, so we're generally pretty warm. I have noticed that 40 and under this car HATES. Tranny is all kinds of stiff and the engine sounds like it's going to blow above 3500 RPM. This is after letting it warm up from an overnight park for about 5-7 minutes.

I don't understand how the Canadian 3 owners buy the car, but at least that tells you that the car holds up well across a number of climates. It just seems to prefer 60-80 ish. I've owned mine since the middle of summer, and my shifting has totally gotten worse with the colder weather.

I hope that the problems you are experiencing are just "normal" characteristics of a Mazda transmission and not something more serious. If so, at least you are under warranty!

Pretty sure my JBR 88a RMM, 80a PMM, Corksport SRI and Racing Beat ABE has destroyed whatever is left of my 5 year/60,000 but hey, I'm happy!

And I also know a great transmission repair shop in Austin that will work with you on payment options. They also sponser the local auto-cross group I run with, so there may be even more discounts and such.

All of that for this, this is the noisest, most cantankerous vehicle I've ever owned, but so far it's almost as bulletproof as my 98 Civic I had in high school. I say almost because I haven't owned this car as long as I've owned my Civic, but Mazda definitely puts in work!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts

Yeah there are transmissions like that, but those type of things are not street drivable.

there is a video of a 1200hp supra with one of those trannys, I mean if that's street drivable............

( it's not lol )

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
What is the TSB on the synchros?[/]

After I called to make my appointment the service advisor said he looked a little but further into it, and he found a TSB for the synchros but the complaints had been on 2012 models of course I said....same car. Also I called again on Wednesday because I don't want to wait to get this taken care of so I'm dropping my car off on the 30th to have the trans pulled. :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
What is the TSB on the synchros?[/]

After I called to make my appointment the service advisor said he looked a little but further into it, and he found a TSB for the synchros but the complaints had been on 2012 models of course I said....same car. Also I called again on Wednesday because I don't want to wait to get this taken care of so I'm dropping my car off on the 30th to have the trans pulled. :(
Bummer dude. Keep us updated. Hopefully it's something minor and covered by warranty.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I guess I still don't get it. What is the TSB on the synchros? What is wrong with the synchros according to the TSB and what is the fix? What are the symptoms?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I owned a 2006 mazda3 1st gen (5 speed) & currently driving a 2011 mazda3 2nd gen (6 speed). Both Australian delivered & bought NEW.
I had the same problem on BOTH cars: often trans crunched when shifting from 1st to 2nd: sometime even with LONG-delay in shifting to allow the syncros to match the speed of the gears :-(.
Solution-> I replaced BOTH trans-oil with a LIGHT viscosity gear oil (eg Castrol VMX 80) & NO-more 2nd gear crunch. This was most noticeable on the 2011 mazda3 & replaced oil was a dark-brown colour: less than 6 months old.
If you drive-hard / tow, please consider FULL-synthetic oil, more regular gear change, etc: do your research. Good luck !

I 1st posted the above comments in Jun-12 @ mazda3forums

Thanks or reading.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Mazda 3 GT 6speed manual. Was noticing it grind going into third. I heard everything from engine mounts to changing the gear oil. I took it to my Mazda dealer and they had it for a week- couldn't replicate it. I took them out for a rip (only happens occasionally and on high revs or "under load") so I was able to replicate it and he said yes it's the 3/4 clutch hub. There is a service bulletin out in Mazda North America for it. It's documented but in my case they needed to hear it before changing the parts and putting in a new third gear. For everyone saying "you're shifting to the right too much or you're not clutching enough" stop guessing and just take it in under warranty. Even though it's a 2015 the build date is September 2014, that's why you don't catch it in the service bulletins when you look at the years. I've attached the service bulletin: it helped me when I emailed Mazda Canada about it, hope it can help someone else. Vroom vroom

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
2.0L non-sky driver dropping in, I actually experience the same thing with the 5sp M/T. Like someone else said, it seems to get a lot worse in cold weather, and I either have to rev up to nearly 4k, or I have to wait a bit and blip the throttle a little before bringing it into second. Still grinds sometimes with both of those methods for me. Never once have I had that issue if I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd at a high RPM, though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A lot of us have this issue with the 6spd. It is because sometimes when you are shifting from 1rst to 2nd, the shifter is moving slightly towards the right kind of in-between 2nd and 4th and it grinds or "bites." going in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Right when I bought my 2010 2.5 GT Sedan I had this issue back in 2010.
After countless visits to the dealer (stopped counting after 12th visit...) I simply gave up...
So anyway right before the vehicule did hit the 120K km mark for it's warranty I did a last visit to the dealer and they replaced the 2nd gear's synchro that for the 3rd time... in less than 120K km).

Long story short that last visit was some 3 years ago and the issue resurfaced (pf course) not long there after anyways...

Fast forward two weeks ago, I decided to drop the oil from the transmission and replace with some Redline MT 75w80...
Problem went instantly away.

/me keep finger cross. ;-)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts