2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2013 skyactiv 6spd I feel like is grinding from 1st to 2nd. Not really a long dramatic grind but a quick grunt or maybe I'm just feeling it. I have yet to drive aggressively so I don't think that is the problem but when I shift ultra slow it feels a bit smoother. Anyone have the same issues or know of any know issues?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
A lot of us have this issue with the 6spd. It is because sometimes when you are shifting from 1rst to 2nd, the shifter is moving slightly towards the right kind of in-between 2nd and 4th and it grinds or "bites." going in.

When you shift just make sure you are holding the shifter hard to the left when you pull down out of first.

·
Registered
106 Posts
^^^^ This.

Also, it feels crazy getting used to how the 1-2 shift feels once the "grind" is gone. I've got an 88a rmm and an 80a pmm from JBR and I also installed his shifter bushings and the grind is almost gone. I've also found that letting the car warm up until the rpms are aboput 7-800 also helps.

Are your temps near freezing in your location? My car absolutely hates cold weather (Austin, TX here, so do I!) and the grind most experience is just how the car is. When first starting out in the morning, I'll rev it up to about 1200 and lightly tap the gas as I'm pulling the clutch out until it hooks up, then I apply more gas while somewhat quickly releasing the clutch fully.

I'll take it up to almost 3500 and completely let off the gas to let it hang for a second and then I shift into second, ;et the clutch out and then apply gas. It's tricky and sounds slow, but it's helped my grind considerably.

I've owned my 10 2.5 S for about six months now. I'm positive that I'm not the only one on the forum who will tell you that the second generation 3s are noisy and very strange pieces of machinery, but they are a damn reliable platform. Yes, there are "horror" stories out there, but every make and model has its demons!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Changing the MTF helped mine in the cold.
I'm actually planning on doing that as well. OP, I'm assuming your transmission calls for 75W80 correct?

I've heard good things about Redline, and the Ford Motorcraft (forgive me, at work and connt look up the actual name) synthetic fluid, but I'm not sure if the Ford fluid is 75W80.

@badtic - Did you stick with OEM fluid or did you put in one of the above?

EDIT: Looking at signatures is beneficial it seems :argh 1:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm actually planning on doing that as well. OP, I'm assuming your transmission calls for 75W80 correct?

I've heard good things about Redline, and the Ford Motorcraft (forgive me, at work and connt look up the actual name) synthetic fluid, but I'm not sure if the Ford fluid is 75W80.

@badtic - Did you stick with OEM fluid or did you put in one of the above?

EDIT: Looking at signatures is beneficial it seems :argh 1:
Here are some other choices:

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2012-2013-mazda-3-skyactiv-engine-performance/36434-skyactiv-mtf-choices-reviews.html

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the delay! My 3 is coming up on 1500 miles, and yes it's about 25 here in KY during the day and I usually let it idle down to 1k before I drive. I want to take it to the dealer but I feel like if I do they are just gonna get on my nerves. Would it be in my best interest to change the fluid with the car being so brand new? I have noticed that when I shift suuuuuuuper slow it doesn't happen as much. I'm going to try pulling it to left tomorrow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update! So I tried pulling a little to the left while shifting into my downward positioned gears and it's gone. I do think that there has to be a fix out there. when the time comes I'll get some quality trans fluid.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Update! So I tried pulling a little to the left while shifting into my downward positioned gears and it's gone. I do think that there has to be a fix out there. when the time comes I'll get some quality trans fluid.

I almost forgot! You can also try adjusting your shifter as well. This is for a speed3, but the mechanism worked exactly the same for my car as well. I'm 99.9% certain you can follow these instructions as well.

How to: Adjust your shifter cable

·
Asian Infatuation
71 Posts
I think I may be having the same experience you are. It seems if I rev over 3k RPM in first, I have to wait for it to drop below 2k, anything sooner and it feel like it has to grasp, or lunges forward a tad. Every other gear shifts fine afterwards. Also, sometime I feel a little grinding pulse on the clutch pedal, but I don't hear any grinding.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I may be having the same experience you are. It seems if I rev over 3k RPM in first, I have to wait for it to drop below 2k, anything sooner and it feel like it has to grasp, or lunges forward a tad. Every other gear shifts fine afterwards. Also, sometime I feel a little grinding pulse on the clutch pedal, but I don't hear any grinding.
I'm taking it up to the dealer on Monday they said they never have issues with 3's but it could be something like a cable adjustment or something just as simple. I'll update on Monday.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: I took it to the dealer and apparently there is a TSB for synchros in the skyactiv manual transmission. The service advisor drove it and said he could feel some resistance but the tech didn't think it was the synchros at this point. There is a definitely a difference between the grunt my car is making and grind when you try to shift without the clutch. So at this point we have it documented and if it becomes more audible to where we are sure it's the synchros then the trans will come out. Honestly I'll probably wait a couple of months and if it continues being that there is a service bulletin I'll just have them do it then.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Yes. You can shift without he clutch but it's safer to use it. I sometimes shift without the clutch but not often.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts