2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
245/45/R17 on a stock MZ3?

I have a set of Continentals DW 245/45/R17 tires w/ Borbet wheels that I had bought for my Saab 9-3 convertible as summer tires but never used (I would sell the wheels). Will the DW's fit my 2012 Mazda3 with-out rubbing? I would look to pick-up a new set of wheels minimum size 17x7.5” what should the offset be? Is this too much rubber for this car?

·
Car Nerd
814 Posts
I have a set of Continentals DW 245/45/R17 tires w/ Borbet wheels that I had bought for my Saab 9-3 convertible as summer tires but never used (I would sell the wheels). Will the DW's fit my 2012 Mazda3 with-out rubbing? I would look to pick-up a new set of wheels minimum size 17x7.5” what should the offset be? Is this too much rubber for this car?
1. 245/45 wouldn't fit on a 7.5" wheel. You'll need at least an 8" wheel.
2. 245/45 runs quite tall on our car. If you're lowered you might rub and your speedometer will be off.
3. If you get 17x7.5 or 17x8, any offset from +50mm to +40mm will work. +40mm should be just flush with the fender.
4. You can never have too much rubber. :biggrin:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I found a set of OZ Racing BOTTICELLI 17x8, offset +40 - these are slightly used from a Mazda RX7, will RX7 fullfilment work on a Mazda3? How do you think these would look on a Liquid Silver 3s GT? They do come with 245/40/17 Bridegstone RE050 which is about an inch less in diameter then what I have.

Attachments

·
Car Nerd
814 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I found a set of OZ Racing BOTTICELLI 17x8, offset +40 - these are slightly used from a Mazda RX7, will RX7 fullfilment work on a Mazda3? How do you think these would look on a Liquid Silver 3s GT? They do come with 245/40/17 Bridegstone RE050 which is about an inch less in diameter then what I have.
No prob. These will fit fine on your car. I'm personally not a fan of the wheel themselves, but that's just my opinion. 245/40-17 is almost perfect diameter for your speedometer. You may have some rubbing depending on how low you are, though.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I'll just throw this out there for future reference.

M3 = BMW

MZ3 = Mazda 3

MS3 = Mazdaspeed 3

·
Registered
113 Posts
Don't know if this will help you any but it has helped me.. gives me a rough estimate / visual of the difference between wheel sizes on my current setup.

About.com: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

The nice thing about it is it shows how much it would effect your speedometer.

Reactions: DomTheGhost

·
Car Nerd
814 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts