2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I test drove an automatic Mazda 3 recently and right away this car would rev to about 4000-5000 rpm at normal speeds of 50kmh when I was on the highway I have never experienced a car rev into the redline and stay there the entire time it was screaming so loudly at 7000rpm it didn't feel safe as it felt like it was struggling to stay at 100km I tried to push it past 100 and it went further on the redline to about 8000.
Never have I drove a car that would rev so much. It scooted quickly lots of torque steer and it never once stayed below 3000 rpm. It would pick up speed very fast but these rpms leave me to think something is wrong. Its from a used car dealer and it has not been through their shop yet i was the first person to test drive it and I mentioned this to the dealer he agreed something is wrong but he will let me know once it goes through their shop.
Is this car toast? What do you guys think is going on? I'm sure there's a huge list of possibilities but if anyone's experienced high rpms constantly any info is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,162 Posts
Transmission is shot.....? Was it even shifting gears?
Running it on the highway at 8k rpm.....the motor is toast.
How did it get to 8k rpm, or even 7k rpm? Is there not a rev limiter?
Run from this car, don't look back....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Transmission is shot.....? Was it even shifting gears?
Running it on the highway at 8k rpm.....the motor is toast.
How did it get to 8k rpm, or even 7k rpm? Is there not a rev limiter?
Run from this car, don't look back....
I don't know what's wrong with it I'm shopping for my first car and when I took this on the highway that's when it began to literally exceed 7000rpm I have no clue what was going on with it. They just received this car and it hasn't been through their shop yet said he will call me once it has been inspected by their mechanic. To add, I am not sure if it was shifting gears I imagine it was but I am not car savvy I don't know all that much but it would pick up speed very fast but the rpm would just shoot to 6000 when trying to just go 50km or more. It never stayed below 3000 rpm.
if you could imagine playing forza in manual and you just stayed in 1st gear while driving that is what this car sounded like at all times lol straight up screaming at me

·
Super Moderator
7,162 Posts
Its your first car, you know nothing about cars, you are a perfect pidgeon for an unscrupulous dealer to sell this car too. Give it a quick patch job and now the problem is yours. Find another car that works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its your first car, you know nothing about cars, you are a perfect pidgeon for an unscrupulous dealer to sell this car too. Give it a quick patch job and now the problem is yours. Find another car that works.
Thanks for the input! just needed people with experience to help guide me with proper information. Knew something was up with this car. I should have had passenger record the dash because this car was something else. I have found same model mazda 3 but 2013 same km hopefully that one is in better condition.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just to be clear.....it was in D and not in M correct? Hope it wasn't in manual mode and you thought it was in Drive so it won't shift unless you shift it.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just to be clear.....it was in D and not in M correct? Hope it wasn't in manual mode and you thought it was in Drive so it won't shift unless you shift it.

The car dealership guy brought the car out for me, put it in park and I drove off their lot and onto the main roads going 50km that's when I noticed the rpms between 4000-5000 the car was extremely loud.. music full blast was not drowning out the sound. Get onto the highway and that's when it started to exceed 7000rpms going just 100km.. it was even more loud ended up going just 80 because it didn't seem right at all.
To add, the gear shift only had one drive spot for it, which was at the bottom no other spots for it to be in. Also the engine light was on but he said that would come off after its been looked at by their mechanic. Could this engine light been the reason for this?...

·
Super Moderator
7,162 Posts

The gear shift has P, R, N and D. In the D position if you move it to the left to the M position it will operate in manual shift mode.
You just kept driving the car at 7000+ rpm with the music at full blast? Where was the salesman while you were burning up the engine driving the car at 70mph in first gear? The engine light might have been caused by this, but probably did not cause this issue unless it was related to a transmission problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The gear shift has P, R, N and D. In the D position if you move it to the left to the M position it will operate in manual shift mode.
You just kept driving the car at 7000+ rpm with the music at full blast? Where was the salesman while you were burning up the engine driving the car at 70mph in first gear? The engine light might have been caused by this, but probably did not cause this issue unless it was related to a transmission problem.
[/QUOTE
the engine light was already on he told me that when i was getting in lol and how am i suppose to know a automatic car can go manual i didnt move the stick to the side. put it in drive. I was testing everything out in the car and had the music full blast that was to explain how loud it was i obviously wasnt driving around with music full blast lmao and the sales man was inside the shop lol maybe the sales man should have noted it can go in manual mode and if it was well not my problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Also my redline is at 6500rpm. It's unbelievable that yours went all the way to 8000.....I guess maybe if it had a tune which removed the limiter.

Do you recall if you saw D on your dash or if it was showing the gear number.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The car dealership guy brought the car out for me, put it in park and I drove off their lot and onto the main roads going 50km that's when I noticed the rpms between 4000-5000 the car was extremely loud.. music full blast was not drowning out the sound. Get onto the highway and that's when it started to exceed 7000rpms going just 100km.. it was even more loud ended up going just 80 because it didn't seem right at all.
To add, the gear shift only had one drive spot for it, which was at the bottom no other spots for it to be in. Also the engine light was on but he said that would come off after its been looked at by their mechanic. Could this engine light been the reason for this?...
" that would come off after its been looked at by their mechanic. " - probably means he'll remove the globe.
" Could this engine light been the reason for this?..."-no.
Get the other car after an inspection by an auto club or other reputable inspector

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey guys I test drove an automatic Mazda 3 recently and right away this car would rev to about 4000-5000 rpm at normal speeds of 50kmh when I was on the highway I have never experienced a car rev into the redline and stay there the entire time it was screaming so loudly at 7000rpm it didn't feel safe as it felt like it was struggling to stay at 100km I tried to push it past 100 and it went further on the redline to about 8000.
Never have I drove a car that would rev so much. It scooted quickly lots of torque steer and it never once stayed below 3000 rpm. It would pick up speed very fast but these rpms leave me to think something is wrong. Its from a used car dealer and it has not been through their shop yet i was the first person to test drive it and I mentioned this to the dealer he agreed something is wrong but he will let me know once it goes through their shop.
Is this car toast? What do you guys think is going on? I'm sure there's a huge list of possibilities but if anyone's experienced high rpms constantly any info is appreciated.

For future reference if the rpms is past the redline on the tach, somethings wrong. If it's even within 1000rpm of the redline and you don't have the peddle to the floor, somethings wrong.
You should have turned around immediately and went back to the dealer to figure out if you have it in the wrong gear selector or if the transmission is broke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For future reference if the rpms is past the redline on the tach, somethings wrong. If it's even within 1000rpm of the redline and you don't have the peddle to the floor, somethings wrong.
You should have turned around immediately and went back to the dealer to figure out if you have it in the wrong gear selector or if the transmission is broke.
cant assume somethings wrong if its an automatic and i put it in drive never told me it can go manual

1 - 18 of 18 Posts