2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With performance in mind and the same exact tires expecting to be compared, Firehawk Indy 500s what would be better overall if the wheel/tire combo weight difference is about 2 lbs. Planning on running with Vogtland/H&R Springs and Koni FSD/Special Active suspension.

Konig Hypergram 17x8 +45 (16 lbs)
Firehawk Indy 500 235/45/17 (23 lbs)
Rim Width: 8 in
Tread Width: 7.7 in
Section Width: 9.3 in
vs
Konig Hypergram 18x8.5 +45 (17 lbs)
Firehawk Indy 500 235/40/18 (24 lbs)
Rim Width: 8.5 in
Tread Width: 7.8 in
Section Width: 9.5 in

Is the 2 lbs going to make a significant difference since our 3s don't put out too much power? Is the 40 series tire completely way to go if I want a more sporty feel to current "grocery getter"? Thoughts, opinions, knowledge is all my looking for...ohh and pictures too if you got them! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
With performance in mind and the same exact tires expecting to be compared, Firehawk Indy 500s what would be better overall if the wheel/tire combo weight difference is about 2 lbs. Planning on running with Vogtland/H&R Springs and Koni FSD/Special Active suspension.

Konig Hypergram 17x8 +45 (16 lbs)
Firehawk Indy 500 235/45/17 (23 lbs)
Rim Width: 8 in
Tread Width: 7.7 in
Section Width: 9.3 in
vs
Konig Hypergram 18x8.5 +45 (17 lbs)
Firehawk Indy 500 235/40/18 (24 lbs)
Rim Width: 8.5 in
Tread Width: 7.8 in
Section Width: 9.5 in

Is the 2 lbs going to make a significant difference since our 3s don't put out too much power? Is the 40 series tire completely way to go if I want a more sporty feel to current "grocery getter"? Thoughts, opinions, knowledge is all my looking for...ohh and pictures too if you got them! Thanks in advance.
A little late in the year to be getting summer tires right? xD but its really up to you if you want more comfort vs more sporty look or handling.
As I can see it the weight shouldn't be too noticeable since its similar in weight already. You will only notice the weight reduction when its like stock 20lbs+ or 21lbs+ going to a 16lb or 17lb wheel.
Comfort would be 17in
More sporty look and feel would be 18in

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little late in the year to be getting summer tires right? xD but its really up to you if you want more comfort vs more sporty look or handling.
As I can see it the weight shouldn't be too noticeable since its similar in weight already. You will only notice the weight reduction when its like stock 20lbs+ or 21lbs+ going to a 16lb or 17lb wheel.
Comfort would be 17in
More sporty look and feel would be 18in
Well I see what you're saying but I live in Hawaii, roads are not that great so I'm debating whether the sporty look and feel is worth it. I thinking leaning towards going with the sporty look, I want to transform my "grocery getter" into the "hot hatch" it's begging to be. Plus tire rack has a good road hazard policy! xD

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well I see what you're saying but I live in Hawaii, roads are not that great so I'm debating whether the sporty look and feel is worth it. I thinking leaning towards going with the sporty look, I want to transform my "grocery getter" into the "hot hatch" it's begging to be. Plus tire rack has a good road hazard policy! xD
just make sure its the correct fitment, should fit if you are not lowering much.
Yeah sporty look ftw. and ah yes, Hawaii. lol forgot some places are basically warm year round. then yes firehawks are amazing! go for that hot hatch style and get the bigger rims :) as long as its in your budget.

just a small note/remember 18in wheels mean 18in tires, and down the road 5 years later or however fast you go through tires. you will have to replace em again and 18in tires are more expensive than 17in tires.
the inner asian (cheap asian) in me went for the cheaper option 17x8 instead of 18x8. but yeah cant go wrong with either setup.

Reactions: rand0m

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just make sure its the correct fitment, should fit if you are not lowering much.
Yeah sporty look ftw. and ah yes, Hawaii. lol forgot some places are basically warm year round. then yes firehawks are amazing! go for that hot hatch style and get the bigger rims :) as long as its in your budget.

just a small note/remember 18in wheels mean 18in tires, and down the road 5 years later or however fast you go through tires. you will have to replace em again and 18in tires are more expensive than 17in tires.
the inner asian (cheap asian) in me went for the cheaper option 17x8 instead of 18x8. but yeah cant go wrong with either setup.
Yeah I've been doing my best to gather as much data for either set up just to be extra sure that it won't run into issues (18x8.5 setup might need a rear roll but I've also heard that some even run a taller 225/45r18 without any issues). I'm still saving up for certain mods (lowering springs, camber arms, adjustable end links, rear sway bar, front tower strut) first but since things can change depending on what's available. I can't find any Konig Hypergrams 17x8 +45 Race Bronze that don't immediately go into back order. So maybe it's life telling me to just go for 18x8.5!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would 100% go with the 17x8, especially if you don't need winter tires and can drive on them all year.
Lighter
The only increase in "sporty feel" from the thinner sidewall is minuscule compared to swapping over to the summer tire Indy 500's from (assuming) your OEM/all season tires. The tire alone will transform your car.

I put on 16" (215 width) Michelin AS3+'s on the wife's car and it was a dramatic change--this tire is a step down from the dedicated summer tire performance of the indy 500's.
Give a few years and the Indy 500's will be surpassed with new technology--if you want to keep the sporty feel, you'll be tempted to replace them with the new flavor of summer tire. 17's are cheaper than 18's, and will offer appreciably increased road compliance.

With that said, the indy 500 tires are NOT the most comfortable street tire, nor are they quiet--so do know that the:
- tighter/quicker steering response from the aggressive tread compound
- stiffer sidewall
- tread pattern will wander a bit more than all seasons

Will all lead to more NVH and less comfortable ride compared to stock.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would 100% go with the 17x8, especially if you don't need winter tires and can drive on them all year.
Lighter
The only increase in "sporty feel" from the thinner sidewall is minuscule compared to swapping over to the summer tire Indy 500's from (assuming) your OEM/all season tires. The tire alone will transform your car.

I put on 16" (215 width) Michelin AS3+'s on the wife's car and it was a dramatic change--this tire is a step down from the dedicated summer tire performance of the indy 500's.
Give a few years and the Indy 500's will be surpassed with new technology--if you want to keep the sporty feel, you'll be tempted to replace them with the new flavor of summer tire. 17's are cheaper than 18's, and will offer appreciably increased road compliance.

With that said, the indy 500 tires are NOT the most comfortable street tire, nor are they quiet--so do know that the:
- tighter/quicker steering response from the aggressive tread compound
- stiffer sidewall
- tread pattern will wander a bit more than all seasons

Will all lead to more NVH and less comfortable ride compared to stock.
All things considered, 17x8 might be the best overall but I don’t mind the NVH and even downside to the Indys’. It’s all now down to preference and maybe even looks. Thank you for the input, first time I’ve heard anything really negative about them. So the decision is yet to be finalized. I really just want to hear people’s thoughts, experience, and knowledge on the subject.

·
Registered
143 Posts
All things considered, 17x8 might be the best overall but I don’t mind the NVH and even downside to the Indys’. It’s all now down to preference and maybe even looks. Thank you for the input, first time I’ve heard anything really negative about them. So the decision is yet to be finalized. I really just want to hear people’s thoughts, experience, and knowledge on the subject.
Your sidewall sizes are more or less the same.
Indy 500 are not loud, just at their low price, they gave up some NVH for more grip.
Are you going to run an aggressive alignment?
If you're gonna beat on the car, I would echo the 17" +1. Run aggressive alignment/fitments, replace the tire more often with the new hot flavor.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your sidewall sizes are more or less the same.
Indy 500 are not loud, just at their low price, they gave up some NVH for more grip.
Are you going to run an aggressive alignment?
If you're gonna beat on the car, I would echo the 17" +1. Run aggressive alignment/fitments, replace the tire more often with the new hot flavor.
To be honest I'm not sure what you mean by an aggressive alignment and "beat" on the car in terms of what? I kind of was thinking 18x8.5 just because it gives the appearance of a performance car. Guess I'm being what people call "RICE".

·
My Other Car is a Holden
81 Posts
If you're going with an 8 or 8.5 inch wheel, why not a 245 width tire?
235 on 8.5 is going to be stretched (yuck) and offer no curb protection.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're going with an 8 or 8.5 inch wheel, why not a 245 width tire?
235 on 8.5 is going to be stretched (yuck) and offer no curb protection.
I'm not to sure why you would think that when the Section Width gives about an inch in excess compared to the rim width.

·
My Other Car is a Holden
81 Posts
I'm not to sure why you would think that when the Section Width gives about an inch in excess compared to the rim width.
From past and current experience experimenting with half inches of wheel width and 10mm of section width.
OEMs typically, but not always, pair 245 tires with 8 inch wide wheels. All tires vary, a Michelin 245 may not match a Continental 245.

You're thinking performance, why not get a wider wheel to give you more tire shoulder as a part of the contact patch?

·
Registered
143 Posts
To be honest I'm not sure what you mean by an aggressive alignment and "beat" on the car in terms of what? I kind of was thinking 18x8.5 just because it gives the appearance of a performance car. Guess I'm being what people call "RICE".
By aggressive alignment I mean less friendly for tire wear, but more optimized for turn in response for when you track.
By "beat on" I mean less/no brakes prior to corners, and general hooning on the streets.
Cheaper tires = less tears when you get to replace the old tire models more frequently with newer flavors that are a leap from prior generations.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By aggressive alignment I mean less friendly for tire wear, but more optimized for turn in response for when you track.
By "beat on" I mean less/no brakes prior to corners, and general hooning on the streets.
Cheaper tires = less tears when you get to replace the old tire models more frequently with newer flavors that are a leap from prior generations.
From past and current experience experimenting with half inches of wheel width and 10mm of section width.
OEMs typically, but not always, pair 245 tires with 8 inch wide wheels. All tires vary, a Michelin 245 may not match a Continental 245.

You're thinking performance, why not get a wider wheel to give you more tire shoulder as a part of the contact patch?
I see what your saying both of you guys, I don't know if I'm gonna be serious about tracking it. Don't know if a 245 will not rub because haven't really heard anyone running 245/40/18. Okay I'm in Hawaii don't see myself beating on my car too much with the state of the traffic here. Thanks guys, I'm still not jet set on which option I'm going with but I do lean towards the 235/40/18 for the looks wise :laugh2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts