2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people!

I am new here and trying to learn as much as I can from experts like you guys. I am from the sunny state of Singapore which probably is the other side of the world for most of you. I am thinking of changing to new wheels and would appreciate if you guys can share some insight with me.

Currently, I am running the original wheels which comes with 205/60/R16
From what I gathered from the internet, offset is +50 and rim width is 6.5" for the stock wheels.

I am thinking of changing to 17 x 7.5" OZ Racing Leggera HLT with the offset of +45. Is 225/50/R17 or 235/45/R17 a better fit for this wheels?

Both calculators are giving me conflicting results on speedo error. What will be the tire size to look for if I am trying to minimize the margin of speedo error? I will probably fit AutoExe lowering spring down the road which will drop the height by 20mm. And is 235 advisable on a 7.5" width wheels?

Thank you in advance for the help and pardon me for my English.

·
Super Moderator
5,351 Posts
Depends on what your goals are. For a daily driver, 225 will be the best choice on a 7.5 rim. 235 might be a bit too wide from a cosmetic standpoint, it will bulge out from the rim where the 225 will have a squared shoulder appearance. Check tire specs too. Some tires fit differently than others. The tread width or section width on one tire might not be the same as another. For instance, I have 205/50-17 Continental ECS tires on 17x7.5 +45 rims. These are a bit wider than most 205 width tires, more like 215s or so...They fit just fine and suit my purposes. Diameter is a bit smaller than OEM but its no big deal as the car is lowered somewhat.
+45 is a good offset for this car, somewhat more than OEM but not too much. Its works with a wide variety of rim and tire sizes.

As to speedo error, a 225/50 is .2" larger in diameter than the OEM tire size (25.9 vs 25.7), a 235/50 is .6" larger (26.3 vs 25.7), so the 225 will have less error....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on what your goals are. For a daily driver, 225 will be the best choice on a 7.5 rim. 235 might be a bit too wide from a cosmetic standpoint, it will bulge out from the rim where the 225 will have a squared shoulder appearance. Check tire specs too. Some tires fit differently than others. The tread width or section width on one tire might not be the same as another. For instance, I have 205/50-17 Continental ECS tires on 17x7.5 +45 rims. These are a bit wider than most 205 width tires, more like 215s or so...They fit just fine and suit my purposes. Diameter is a bit smaller than OEM but its no big deal as the car is lowered somewhat.
+45 is a good offset for this car, somewhat more than OEM but not too much. Its works with a wide variety of rim and tire sizes.

As to speedo error, a 225/50 is .2" larger in diameter than the OEM tire size (25.9 vs 25.7), a 235/50 is .6" larger (26.3 vs 25.7), so the 225 will have less error....
Thank you very much for the reply! It will be my daily driver. Thinking of upsizing to look nicer and fill up the wheel gap i suppose while i hope can get better handling and braking distance. I am looking at GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 as there's alot of good reviews.

I am thinking if 235 will actually improve the handling (cornering) and braking distance as compared to 225 due to the wider contact or will in fact reduce the performance of both. Mazda 3 will have no problem with rubbing on 225/50/R17 that will be lowered as well right?

Thank you once again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello from Vancouver, BC, Canada! I haven't been to Singapore but traveled around Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Myanmar in 2017. Singapore is in my future to explore 👋

I have crunched numbers on willtheyfit.com tirelessly, hoping to make that 17x8, 18x8.5, etc. make sense on my 3. After my research, these are the only 3 rim/tire combo I would go with on my 3:

16x7 205/60/16 (this is my winter setup, 16x7 +45 enkei dracos, michelin x-ice)
17x7 215/50/17 (this is my summer setup, 17x7 +45 enkei RPF1 , pirelli P7, ~37lbs each wheel, picture below)
18x8 235/40/18 (my dream baller setup,18x8 +48 OZ Ultralegerra, michellin pilot sport tires)

• All 3 above maintain under 1% of speedo error
  • All 3 above offer side wall protection = difficult to curb rims, always look fresh
  • All 3 offer modest rim/tire widths = weight, road noise, tramlining kept to a minimum, and fuel economy preserved.
  • All 3 above are somewhat affordable tires (with exception of 235/40/18)
Personally I think 225/50/17 would be too tall/heavy, and 235/45/17 too wide/heavy.

I would encourage to consider weight of tires. The Legerra HLT is an excellent light weight choice, but try not to diminish it too much with heavy tires. I use tire rack to gather tire weight specs. Tire brand and model make a difference in weight. Meaning in a 215/50/17 you could have a 26lb Bridgestone Quiettrack or a 21lb Continental PureContact LS. Same tire size, just different tire construction/purpose, that's a 5lb difference x 4 wheels = 20lbs!

My Mazda 3 is much more enjoyable with 37lb RPF1, car wants to send all the time!

Hope that helps!

·
Super Moderator
5,351 Posts
I am thinking if 235 will actually improve the handling (cornering) and braking distance as compared to 225 due to the wider contact or will in fact reduce the performance of both. Mazda 3 will have no problem with rubbing on 225/50/R17 that will be lowered as well right?
Wider tires are not always better. 235s will have a bit more sidewall flex, so handling won't be quite as good. It'll feel a bit more squishy, and initial turn-in will feel a bit soft too compared to a 225.
Larger tires take more effort to get moving and to stop. This means the engine has to work harder to get going and the brakes have to work harder to stop. Bigger more squishy tires might increase stopping distances a bit, but much also depends on the rim. However, you probably won't notice much of a difference really....
The 17x7.5 with 225/50 will fit with no problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello from Vancouver, BC, Canada! I haven't been to Singapore but traveled around Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Myanmar in 2017. Singapore is in my future to explore 👋

I have crunched numbers on willtheyfit.com tirelessly, hoping to make that 17x8, 18x8.5, etc. make sense on my 3. After my research, these are the only 3 rim/tire combo I would go with on my 3:

16x7 205/60/16 (this is my winter setup, 16x7 +45 enkei dracos, michelin x-ice)
17x7 215/50/17 (this is my summer setup, 17x7 +45 enkei RPF1 , pirelli P7, ~37lbs each wheel, picture below)
18x8 235/40/18 (my dream baller setup,18x8 +48 OZ Ultralegerra, michellin pilot sport tires)

• All 3 above maintain under 1% of speedo error
  • All 3 above offer side wall protection = difficult to curb rims, always look fresh
  • All 3 offer modest rim/tire widths = weight, road noise, tramlining kept to a minimum, and fuel economy preserved.
  • All 3 above are somewhat affordable tires (with exception of 235/40/18)
Personally I think 225/50/17 would be too tall/heavy, and 235/45/17 too wide/heavy. If I had to go with one of the two it would be 235/45/17 because the tallness of the 50 profile (on a 225) would probably not look right, and the 235/40/17 is under 1% of speedo error, closest to OE wheel diameter, but this is a heavy tire!

I would encourage to consider weight of tires. The Legerra HLT is an excellent light weight choice, but try not to diminish it too much with heavy tires. I use tire rack to gather tire weight specs. Tire brand and model make a difference in weight. Meaning in a 215/50/17 you could have a 26lb Bridgestone Quiettrack or a 21lb Continental PureContact LS. Same tire size, just different tire construction/purpose, that's a 5lb difference x 4 wheels = 20lbs!

My Mazda 3 is much more enjoyable with 37lb RPF1, car wants to send all the time!

Hope that helps!

View attachment 276770
Just drop me a text anytime you are coming over!

I definitely missed considering the weight of the tires and boy it does makes a difference. The GY F1A5 at 225/50/17 is at 11.57kg and 235/45/17 is at 9.48kg. That's 2kg difference per tires alone. The OZ Racing Leggera HLT is 8.1kg.

This is something to consider if one of my aim is to reduce my weight.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,351 Posts
Personally I think 225/50/17 would be too tall/heavy, and 235/45/17 too wide/heavy. If I had to go with one of the two it would be 235/45/17 because the tallness of the 50 profile (on a 225) would probably not look right, and the 235/40/17 is under 1% of speedo error, closest to OE wheel diameter, but this is a heavy tire!
The 225/50 on a 7.5" or 8" rim is a very good choice for the Mazda 3. Its not to tall or heavy. The 225/50 is 2/10 taller overall than the OEM size, that means only 1/10 difference in radius or in the height from hub to fender lip. You would be hard pressed to see the difference if you weren't actually measuring....
If you are going for weight, Continental tires are pretty light and work very well. The DWS06 is a good tire and weighs 22 pounds in 225/50-17.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wider tires are not always better. 235s will have a bit more sidewall flex, so handling won't be quite as good. It'll feel a bit more squishy, and initial turn-in will feel a bit soft too compared to a 225.
Larger tires take more effort to get moving and to stop. This means the engine has to work harder to get going and the brakes have to work harder to stop. Bigger more squishy tires might increase stopping distances a bit, but much also depends on the rim. However, you probably won't notice much of a difference really....
The 17x7.5 with 225/50 will fit with no problems.
Hmmm damn. I always thought a taller sidewall will flex and never consider the width. So I would assume both profile will fit without much trouble and won't impact negatively? cyclonecy brings up an important point about the weight of the tires and for some reason, 225/50/17 is 2kg heavier than 235/45/17. :(

·
Super Moderator
5,351 Posts
Hmmm damn. I always thought a taller sidewall will flex and never consider the width. So I would assume both profile will fit without much trouble and won't impact negatively? cyclonecy brings up an important point about the weight of the tires and for some reason, 225/50/17 is 2kg heavier than 235/45/17. :(
Its not the overall width that is the issue, its the tread width and section width when mounted on a particular size rim, in this case 7.5". The 235 sidewalls will be slightly canted outward due to the wider tread width, where the 225 sidewalls will be pretty much vertical. The vertical sidewalls support the load better and tend to flex sideways less. When flexing, the center of the tire can move too close to or even past the bead, causing the tire to lose traction as it rolls if you turn hard or fast enough. If you had an 8.5" wheel, the 235s would perform better.
Heres a little graphic that shows what happens with a tire thats too wide. Its a bit exaggerated but it makes the point I think.

If you are going for a performance summer tire, I'd go with the Continental ECS. In 225/50-17 they are 22 pounds. The performance is excellent, both wet and dry. Its also rated much higher than the Eagle F1. The specs don't really show how good these really are...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Checking the data again, 225/50/17 is the way to go on a 7.5 rim. If you are lowering, 225/50 will be the most forgiving of the two sizes, and will help the car not look too high.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its not the overall width that is the issue, its the tread width and section width when mounted on a particular size rim, in this case 7.5". The 235 sidewalls will be slightly canted outward due to the wider tread width, where the 225 sidewalls will be pretty much vertical. The vertical sidewalls support the load better and tend to flex sideways less. When flexing, the center of the tire can move too close to or even past the bead, causing the tire to lose traction as it rolls if you turn hard or fast enough. If you had an 8.5" wheel, the 235s would perform better.
Heres a little graphic that shows what happens with a tire thats too wide. Its a bit exaggerated but it makes the point I think.

If you are going for a performance summer tire, I'd go with the Continental ECS. In 225/50-17 they are 22 pounds. The performance is excellent, both wet and dry. Its also rated much higher than the Eagle F1. The specs don't really show how good these really are...
Thank you arathol for your patience! Now I understand better on the tires. Got to check with the shop to see if they carry Continental tires. Initially was looking at Michelin PS4 but that shop don't carry it. Got to read up more. I always thought it's just changing wheels, but the more I read, the more I realise it's more than that. :D

·
Super Moderator
5,351 Posts
Thank you arathol for your patience! Now I understand better on the tires. Got to check with the shop to see if they carry Continental tires. Initially was looking at Michelin PS4 but that shop don't carry it. Got to read up more. I always thought it's just changing wheels, but the more I read, the more I realise it's more than that. :D
(y)
If you need an idea of how the car will look after with various size rims and tires, the Wheel and Tire Picture Thread shows lots of cars with all sorts of combinations, and the suspension section has pages of similar information about lowering springs etc with plenty of pictures...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
(y)
If you need an idea of how the car will look after with various size rims and tires, the Wheel and Tire Picture Thread shows lots of cars with all sorts of combinations, and the suspension section has pages of similar information about lowering springs etc with plenty of pictures...
Thank you very much! Yeah, there's lots of nice wheels out here. Singapore don't get Continental ECS. The closest one will be PremiumContact 6. Got to read if it's good haha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts