2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
225/45 tires with RX8 18x8 wheels 2nd Gen Sedan!!! PICS!!!

I have RX8 Wheels that are 18 x 8 with offset of +50mm. Planning to run them with 225/45/18 on my 2011 Mazda 3 i sport sedan. I am on stock height and so not plan to lower. WILL I HAVE ISSUES RUBBING ON THE SUSPENSION OR FENDERS? I have looking everywhere and found bits and pieces of information

I run 215/50/17 right now on the OEM 17" from the s-sport with no issues. I hear 225/40 is a popular size for 18's when it comes to the 18x7.5 or 7" MS3 wheels but the RX8 are 18x8"

The width of the 215/50/17 is 8.5"
Both the 225/40/18 and 225/45/18 width 8.9"
The difference is just the Height / diameter :
215/50/17: 25.5"
225/40/18: 25.1"
225/45/18: 26.0"

With the numbers it looks like it fit. but will it?

Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
5,967 Posts
Should fit just fine. You are reducing the clearance inside the fender wells by only 1/2", not a big issue. It changes more than that when you lower the car an inch or more. The only problem will be speedometer error caused by larger tire diameter.

·
Registered
141 Posts
it should fit, just speedo wont be correct.

·
Registered
141 Posts
haha not bad, post pics when you have them installed :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got them powder coated Satin Evo Grey from Prismatic powders and wrapped in 225/45/18 General Gmax AS-05. Will put them on the car tonight and post pics. Which center cap do y'all perfer???

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
wow it looks amazing! I like the blacked out centercap

Reactions: kevtran25

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are pictures with the wheels on the car.

My front passenger side is fine but its real close to that rubber thing that i circled. what is that? And can i remove it or shave it down??

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here are pictures with the wheels on the car.

My front passenger side is fine but its real close to that rubber thing that i circled. what is that? And can i remove it or shave it down??
looks good on your car.
I am not too sure about the thing that might rub. does it rub when you turn?
didnt think that such a small gain in the diameter would affect that..

·
Registered
141 Posts
doesn't rub at at when turning or anything.
well that's good :D but yeah I do wonder if you are able to file it down or remove that piece.
hopefully other people with bigger rims or more aggressive fitment of wheels/tires can let you know what they have done.
I just kept mine as close to stock. I wonder if I have the same piece for my passenger side too maybe I will check when I switch to my summer tires, just waiting for it to stop snowing in April lol.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Clearance wise you wont rub with your setup. You may get close to that rubber bracket mount, but that's due to your offset. Most common offset is a -48 or smaller, or like others have done is run at least a 5mm spacer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Clearance wise you wont rub with your setup. You may get close to that rubber bracket mount, but that's due to your offset. Most common offset is a -48 or smaller, or like others have done is run at least a 5mm spacer.
yeah make sense. he need to run a non stock offset or get 5mm spacers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts