2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,181 Posts
There are dozens of threads on the subject of tire and rim sizes. Everything you are "educating" us about has been discussed time and again, over and over. There is nothing new in your tirade. What you obviously don't know is that the numbers on the charts are just recommendations based on industry standards. They are hardly set in stone. Anybody who has put performance rubber on their car should know that, as will anybody who is looking for a better ride. You also don't realize the ramifications having 40 series tires on an 18" rim on this car. Most everybody who has been around here a bit knows how vulnerable this set-up is to tire and rim damage, thats why some use a slightly larger tire and others downsize to a 17" rim.
Maybe you should try reading a bit before spouting off about things you only think you know....

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are dozens of threads on the subject of tire and rim sizes. Everything you are "educating" us about has been discussed time and again, over and over. There is nothing new in your tirade. What you obviously don't know is that the numbers on the charts are just recommendations based on industry standards. They are hardly set in stone. Anybody who has put performance rubber on their car should know that, as will anybody who is looking for a better ride. You also don't realize the ramifications having 40 series tires on an 18" rim on this car. Most everybody who has been around here a bit knows how vulnerable this set-up is to tire and rim damage, thats why some use a slightly larger tire and others downsize to a 17" rim.
Maybe you should try reading a bit before spouting off about things you only think you know....
I'm down for a civil debate, but I just don't think it's debatable whether you go against all guidelines in using a wider tire that pinches the sidewall into being weaker when we all agree there are issues already, I just don't see that helping anything so it's best to focus on what are pretty set guidelines.

Also, just saying "40 series" doesn't mean much when it's just a ratio, going 235/40 leaves me barely .1" less sidewall than stock. Now, are the stock wheels weak? I believe it, only 7" wide can be stressed with a car with so much torque. In aftermarket, going a full inch wider there helps spread any harsh impacts. This vehicle is the same size and weight of the VW equivalent hatches, they have a similar well designed platform and they don't have wheel issues.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone researching wheel issues with this car, I feel my investment is worth it in both damage prevention and flat out huge performance that they should have considered from the factory as far as size in a vehicle with this much torque and an amazing AWD system.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I didn't say suspension, I said 225+ wide tires on stock 7" wheels... It's literally pointless to go 225+ on 7", apples for apples it will perform worse and is not recommended as it can lead to far easier understeer with the tire tucked in and poor sidewall angle for proper handling.
Same thing, 225/45/18

1. the number of tires I was going through due to potholes decreased literally from 2 or 3 per set down to 0 per set. Seriously, I got a tire and rim warranty when I bought the car and went through 7 of the original tires due to potholes etc.
2. They handle same or better than Stock 215/45/18 size
3. Finally, if you know how fast you need to go in in this car in order to get it sideways nearly sliding off the decreasing radius with only throttle lift you'd know I was going well past the limits of the tire and possibly the car it self and it's not exactly something wise to admit exact speeds about on a public forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same thing, 225/45/18

1. the number of tires I was going through due to potholes decreased literally from 2 or 3 per set down to 0 per set. Seriously, I got a tire and rim warranty when I bought the car and went through 7 of the original tires due to potholes etc.
2. They handle same or better than Stock 215/45/18 size
3. Finally, if you know how fast you need to go in in this car in order to get it sideways nearly sliding off the decreasing radius with only throttle lift you'd know I was going well past the limits of the tire and possibly the car it self and it's not exactly something wise to admit exact speeds about on a public forum.
225's can go with 7" wide wheels, looking into this more it is acceptable, just not ideal... but glad for you that tiny bit more sidewall is at least keeping you from pothole flats now, good to know! I'm glad I got the road hazard certificates for my tires, they have 0.1" less sidewall than stock but hoping being wider tire at 235 and wider wheel at 8" helps distribute the harshness, we shall see, but luckily our potholes are those shallow puzzle like ones, nothing too harsh fortunately.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts