2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing lots of manufacturers announcing their 2023 updates, so wanted to start a thread for the 3's 2023 changes, which is now the 5th model year for Gen4 (time flies). I suspect this generation will get an extended life and go at least 6 model years, so I'm pretty confident some level of update is coming, just not sure how much resources Mazda will invest. I've put an approximate level of confidence in each.

-New front and rear bumpers/headlights to mirror the next evolution of Kodo design; probability: 80% - Mazda has done this with every 3 generation and updating plastic bits like the bumpers/lights is very cheap. They updated the taillights last year but left the headlights the same; I predict no sheetmetal changes and none are needed.
-Infotainment adds touch screen for CP/AA; probability: 70%, since Mazda already made this update to the CX-50 and CX-5, thinking this is pretty likely.
-Enhanced suspension tune: with the new Integra getting very high marks on initial ride/handling balance and offering variable dampeners, the 3 could use some Dave Coleman magic to simultaneously sharpen the steering feel and enhance the ride quality; probability: 20%, but really wish they'd do this; (chance of an IRS before Gen 4 is out: better chance of winning the lottery)
-8 speed auto (very unlikely, but would be nice and would improve both acceleration and highway fuel economy); probability: 10%

What else?

·
Registered
265 Posts
There is a temporary build page for the 2023 trims but details are not finalized yet. Under the 2.0 base Mazda3 it mentioned 199hp. This obviously doesn't apply to the 2.0l but maybe we will see a slight jump in HP for the 2.5l.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 Sedan Premium AWD (April 2019 Japan build)
370 Posts
There is a temporary build page for the 2023 trims but details are not finalized yet. Under the 2.0 base Mazda3 it mentioned 199hp. This obviously doesn't apply to the 2.0l but maybe we will see a slight jump in HP for the 2.5l.
That doesn't make sense to me. The 2.0L has 155 hp, and the 2.5L has 186hp. Taking the 2.0L to 199hp (above the current 2.5L) doesn't make sense, and I think it's an error. It lists it at 155 hp and 199 hp. They are still building this webpage, and I don't think it's been proofed yet.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
265 Posts
It looks like they may be dropping the 2.0l as the base model is now called 2.5 Sedan. They just have not removed the reference to 155hp yet. It also looks like the Turbo Premium Plus has been dropped. I am sure we will see more updates over time.

·
Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like they may be dropping the 2.0l as the base model is now called 2.5 Sedan. They just have not removed the reference to 155hp yet. It also looks like the Turbo Premium Plus has been dropped. I am sure we will see more updates over time.
This page must just be a placeholder as they build out the 2023 page...I doubt they changed the HP to 199 (they'd round it up to 200).

·
Registered
265 Posts
This page must just be a placeholder as they build out the 2023 page...I doubt they changed the HP to 199 (they'd round it up to 200).
They did update the heading for the base trim Mazda3 from 2.0l to 2.5l so it looks like they will drop the 2.0l. They have also removed the HP rating for all the 2.5l Trim but still show the same HP rating for the 2.5T trims, so that would suggest some change is coming to the 2.5l NA. But like you said the 199hp is likely just a placed holder/reminder to update the trims once the final numbers have been confirmed. I just hope they don’t introduce iStop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As someone who was very pleased with a 2.0l from 2015 that was totaled earlier this month and is now dealing with the headache of finding something equivalent I have to say I'm disappointed that Mazda is doing away with them. I test drove a 2.5l the other day and personally did not find the performance difference worth the increased MPG. Of course, I am glad those who like the performance of the 2.5l have the option, but I am a bit annoyed that I won't be able to buy another car like the one I loved new anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts