2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Very interesting if they're doing a fwd drive based cx50 as well as a cx5. What's the difference?
Based on the camouflaged CUV it looks to be slightly larger and will have the same new interior as the mazda3/CX-30. We may see the CX-5 get dropped after a couple years if most people start buying the CX-50, just like the CX-30 eventually replaced the CX-3. Hopefully there is a new drivetrain when they announce the details next month. That could come down to the Mazda3.

I am surprised that the RWD CX-70/90 will have inline-6 Turbos. I would have thought the timing was too late with the push to EVs. But no mention of a RWD Mazda6 in this announcement.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium polymetal gray over red/blk
516 Posts
Very interesting if they're doing a fwd drive based cx50 as well as a cx5. What's the difference?
AS it will be on the latest 3 chassis, I think it could have a twist beam rear for starters. Looks like they want to reserve full irs for upmarket vehicles and will try to make the CX5 worthy of that.
A CX50 cannot be much cheaper than the current CX5 as their is already little gap in price, cx30 to cx5. CX5 could become Turbo only or offer some other power train advantage.
Could it be the CX50 will be upmarket of the 5 with a twist beam? I guess anything is possible.
I have no idea. Looks like splitting hairs.
AS cx9 and cx8 are disappearing, it seems unlikely the cx5 would carry on alone long with the old nomenclature.
They should have made the CX4 available worldwide. That sleek tall wagon like vehicle would have been a sure hit and done much better than the twist beam oddly perched, cramped cx30. Now it's dated and too late. It was longer than a cx 5 though and should have been designated cx60 for this market.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
They could add back in an independent rear suspension for the CX-50. A lot of manufacturers do that for the AWD models while the FWD stick with a beam. I think they need to have an IRS to compete with the likes of the CR-V and RAV4 which have an IRS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They could add back in an independent rear suspension for the CX-50. A lot of manufacturers do that for the AWD models while the FWD stick with a beam. I think they need to have an IRS to compete with the likes of the CR-V and RAV4 which have an IRS.
New Civics and corollas come with an independent rear, but Mazda still competes with them.

·
Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch
203 Posts
Corollas yes. Civics are actually pretty fun to drive
I've driven the current gen Corolla as a rental...it was a huge improvement over the prior generation and had comfy seats and good steering, but yes, total appliance car.

I recently test drove the new Civic and was impressed by the ride and handling -- turn in was sharp, even with the smaller wheels and tires on the EX-L hatchback version. Looking forward to driving a Sport Touring hatchback.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium polymetal gray over red/blk
516 Posts
I've driven the current gen Corolla as a rental...it was a huge improvement over the prior generation and had comfy seats and good steering, but yes, total appliance car.

I recently test drove the new Civic and was impressed by the ride and handling -- turn in was sharp, even with the smaller wheels and tires on the EX-L hatchback version. Looking forward to driving a Sport Touring hatchback.
Civic has always been a good handler. How about the historic Civic road noise and hi rpm engine racket? Been a long time since I have driven new one. As good as the 3 on those two points? I have driven my son's pristine 2013 SI coupe recently. This was honda styling at it's peak but I prefer my 3s refinement to the Honda's performance edge. I will not buy anything that only offers an all black interior.
I have driven the current gen Corolla hatch, my daughter-in-laws. The back seat is worse than the 3 that everyone complains about. The steering still feels lifeless to me. Noise levels are generally louder than in the 3. The multi link rear, which some think so essential , does not make it ride or handle better than the 3.
A manual is available in limited numbers but those are not for me anymore. I do not like the CVTs found in most Corollas and Civics. One man's opinion.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 AWD AT
220 Posts
The back seat is worse than the 3 that everyone complains about
Interesting right? and almost nobody say how crap the leg room is in the Corolla hatch or how small is the trunk.

I do not like the CVTs found in most Corollas and Civics. One man's opinion.
My first car with auto gearbox was the Civic with CVT; I didn't knew what I'm getting myself into and I sold the car after 6 months. Overall the car wasn't bad (Civic X) for the price (NVH was way worse then 4th gen Mazda3).
One area where Civic is much better than Mazda3 is visibility and interior space; you might compare the Civic with Mazda6.

If you get it with a manual, as the only car for a family, I believe it does it's duties much better; unless you're like me in PNW, don't like SUVs and go on mountain pass drives where, when it snows, the crap rule is "chains required except AWD" and bypass that with the AWD Mazda3 :D.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts